Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gentle Giant vs Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [46.25%]
37 [46.25%]
6 [7.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 04:32
Jethro Tull represents me prog that I love really much.
Gentle Giant represents me prog that I donīt like at all.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 04:34
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

The only Tull album I've been able to get into so far is Thick as a Brick, but I like it a lot. From GG the only album I don't like is Giant for a Day. The Missing Piece is good, come on. And, as Cristi said, I even like Civilian(some jammin tunes on that one). So slam dunk for Gentle Giant(against almost anyone).
Have you tried "A Passion Play"? Not as great as Thick, but really close! I believe you will also like "Songs From the Wood" & "Heavy Horses" -albums, "Minstreal In the Gallery" is really great too!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 16:53
^ Hey friend. I've seen A Passion Play mentioned on here a few times before and meant to listen to it, but you know.. so many albums so little time. But if you listen to The Power and The Glory all the way through and give it an honest chance then I will listen to A Passion Play.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 18:05
Both equally.

Gentle Giant and Jethro Tull are two of my favourite bands, that is, I like to listen very often to their albums, expecially:

- Gentle Giant / Acquiring the Taste / Octopus / The Power and The Glory / Free Hand / The Missing Piece
GG live

- Stand Up / Benefit / Aqualung / A Passion Play / Minstrell in the Gallery / Songs From The Wood.

They are very good albums, they give me pleasure but.... but...

If I dont change idea, I see only two little masterpieces: Gentle Giant I (9+ in my ranking) and Aqualung (9 in my ranking). So, no Gentle Giant albums and no JT albums will fit into my  finale 30 or 40 album chart.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 01:49

^ Hey friend. I've seen A Passion Play mentioned on here a few times before and meant to listen to it, but you know.. so many albums so little time. But if you listen to The Power and The Glory all the way through and give it an honest chance then I will listen to A Passion Play.
Sorry, mate! I have given IMO too many changes to GG, as you said too many albums to listen & too little time. Itīs just some bands/artists you canīt like them at all. Also, if you donīt have sparkle to listen Jethro, why you will listen it? Everybody just donīt have to like everything. I of course like to recommend my favorite artists, but really donīt expect everybody like them.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 20:46
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Sorry, mate! I have given IMO too many changes to GG, as you said too many albums to listen & too little time. Itīs just some bands/artists you canīt like them at all. Also, if you donīt have sparkle to listen Jethro, why you will listen it? Everybody just donīt have to like everything. I of course like to recommend my favorite artists, but really donīt expect everybody like them.

Yeah ok I understand, you feel you've given GG enough chances already. I'll probably still listen to A Passion Play at some point. I like Thick as a Brick a lot so maybe I'll like that one as well.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 00:59

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Yeah ok I understand, you feel you've given GG enough chances already. I'll probably still listen to A Passion Play at some point. I like Thick as a Brick a lot so maybe I'll like that one as well.
Have to say, that I was quite disappointed at first to "a Passion Play". Although itīs also album length entity like "Thick", itīs a little bit different, maybe darker. But with some years and many listens I started to love it also. Maybe you should first listen "Songs From the Wood", it has somehow same spirit as "Thick", also this song is one of my big Jethro favorites:
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 21:56
Oh, that was nice. Thanks for posting it. Maybe this is a band I've overlooked because they play on the radio too much. Too many good bands lol. I've been listening to Univers Zero lately, they're honestly good I like them. But I'll get back to Jethro Tull one of these days I'm sure.

Edit: I just tried to vote for GG again to break the tie and it said "You have already voted in this poll" Oh well.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:46

Oh, that was nice. Thanks for posting it. Maybe this is a band I've overlooked because they play on the radio too much. Too many good bands lol. I've been listening to Univers Zero lately, they're honestly good I like them. But I'll get back to Jethro Tull one of these days I'm sure.

Edit: I just tried to vote for GG again to break the tie and it said "You have already voted in this poll" Oh well.
Well, somebody else seemed to vote for you. Jethro has been one of the biggest faves to me since I started to listen prog. And really there are not many times Iīve heard it played on the radio in Finland. I think the last song from them in the radio Iīve heard was "Locomotive Breath". If you start to listen them more, concentrate on their 60-70 -albums. Theyīre the greatest, only "Too Old to RīN`R" is little bit weaker, but also thatīs better than any of their after seventies album. I really love also their four first albums before Thick, but theyīre not as prog as Thick and after that albums. Probably "Benefit" is little bit underrated, really great album. Have to mention also I saw them live once, it was one of my best gigs.

Yes, there a huge amount of great music in the world, but I think itīs just great thing, I donīt think I will ever get bored with music!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 22:04
^ Here in the USA they play a fair amount on classic rock radio. Songs like Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, Bungle in the Jungle, Living in the Past, Cross Eyed Mary, etc. Them Pink Floyd and Rush are kind of overexposed on the radio here. Whereas a band like Gentle Giant NEVER plays on the radio, that's part of what I love about them.

But like you say, huge amount of great music in the world.. not to mention classical music which I love to listen to also. I'll never get bored of it all either my friend.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 02:05

^ Here in the USA they play a fair amount on classic rock radio. Songs like Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, Bungle in the Jungle, Living in the Past, Cross Eyed Mary, etc. Them Pink Floyd and Rush are kind of overexposed on the radio here. Whereas a band like Gentle Giant NEVER plays on the radio, that's part of what I love about them.

But like you say, huge amount of great music in the world.. not to mention classical music which I love to listen to also. I'll never get bored of it all either my friend.
Here in Finland is only one channel (itīs name is Nostalgia) that plays old, great music (really soon going to be bored Creamīs White Room, such a shame because I have loved that song, but luckily only part of my work I have chance to listen radio) but they also never played Jethro, Pink Floyd or Rush or anything else thatīs even near of prog. I quess prog is again a swear word in Finland.

I listen also a little classical music, but itīs never been in a big part in my music listening. Really love anyway Sibelius & Mussorgsky!
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 15:01
Gentle Giant at their best are in a different league to Tull at their best. GG quite possibly produced some of the very finest (not to mention highly original) Prog.  
Much of Tull's output lacks focus for me. 
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 17:26
Gentle Giant for me!
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 02:16
I am an enormous fan of both bands and have been following Tull since 1972 and GG since 1977.

I am also an avid record and CD collector of both bands.

As far as prog goes; GG wins hands down.

As far as musical consistency and shivers down the spine go; it's Tull.

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 08:16
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

One of the closest polls I've ever seen, at least for me, but I will vote for Tull, since they had the amazing Martin Barre on guitar.

Like Manuel said
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234