Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Unexpected Prog Fans When Sherman Hemsley Met Gong
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unexpected Prog Fans When Sherman Hemsley Met Gong

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unexpected Prog Fans When Sherman Hemsley Met Gong
    Posted: September 21 2019 at 16:35
I searched for this topic and didn't find any. Subtitle this Prog In Unexpected People.

Also a big Nextar fan Big smile 

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 21 2019 at 17:11
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Floyd Steely View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Steely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 18:25
AMEN!

And if you can't be with the prog you love, honey, love the prog you're with.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 18:30
I have read this before. I think by now most prog fans who know who Sherman was know he was a big  prog fan. Apparently his favorites were(in no particular order): Gong, Nektar, Yes and Gentle Giant.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 19:27
Funny and exiting. I like to find this type of clips. Thanks for posting it.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 01:03
The guy was quite an actor. Thanks!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 03:12
My god I remember that TV Guide cover

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 08:21
Hi,

A lot of the music that we liked and loved, was not a secret on THE STRIP, and much of it was played at the Whiskey, or Troubadour or many other spots, so seeing Hollywood folks like some of that stuff is not a surprise ... what is weirder, is to think that no one else would have heard it ... when Nektar even had a huge poster on the strip above Tower, as even did Hawkwind at one time ... so the "name" at least, was not foreign to a lot of folks ... 

My only issue is that so much of this stuff in Hollywood at that time was INTENTIONALLY ignored, and not looked at, and seeing this one was kinda nice, and really it said more about them both than the whole show, and it was fun, and Sherman, more than likely got to see a few of the Nektar shows, the first one having been the best (Santa Monica Civic) with their "light theater" which was also advertised in the paper ... although I think by that time, PF and a couple of others had already broken the ice on lights, but not visuals, which PF eventually blew the house down a year or two later!

What is not exactly seen is that at the time (71/72) things like Parliament, and Funkadelic were considered very progressive (without the word) because they did not exactly fit into the "normal" black music around that others were playing ... so seeing that Sherman liked some different things, is not really a surprise.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 09:40
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

My god I remember that TV Guide cover

I'm pretty sure I do too. I actually collected tv guides for a while and had about at least 50 of them until my dad suggested I throw them away. Years later he commented that old tv guides could be worth a lot of money.Confused
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 11:05
Sherman performed a dance routine on TV to a Gentle Giant song.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 06:42
I know he was a big prog fan and jazz fusion fan---even loved Tales lol
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 07:04
I'm still wondering about whatever happened to the collaboration he had with Jon Anderson under the title "Festival of Dreams," supposedly about the spiritual qualities of the number 7. Apparently Anderson wrote the lyrics, but it isn't know what Hemsley did (he was a keyboardist). I've only seen it mentioned casually every time one of these articles about Hemsley liking Gong, Yes, Gentle Giant, Nektar, or ELP comes up, usually noting it as "unreleased." More details about this would be an interesting read.

He did release an album in 1992 called Dance. I don't know what it sounds like.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply