10 [20.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater vs. Symphony X
    Posted: November 04 2022 at 19:08
Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

Symphony X.... no contest.

Like not even close.

They can't compare.

Clap Well said. Symphony X seems to be a "musician's" band. Dream Theater has crafted some excellent albums but has fallen into the rut of stuck in a rut. Symphony X just takes all the prog metal dynamics to its logical conclusion and personally i find the band to be extremely adept in about every way.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2022 at 17:40
Symphony X.... no contest.

Like not even close.

They can't compare.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2022 at 04:29
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Gonna go with Dream Theater, but this is a bit of a cruel poll as I love them both LOL

There's a both option there. That Odvin guy seems like an angelic person. Just a gut feeling. Star

I voted for both. I've been lucky enough to see Symph X live twice and they are truly awesome, although in fairness they don't get as many spins these days than they did 15 years ago. I don't listen to as much PM these days, but I have undying respect for SX's artistry and technical skills...
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2022 at 03:45
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Gonna go with Dream Theater, but this is a bit of a cruel poll as I love them both LOL

There's a both option there. That Odvin guy seems like an angelic person. Just a gut feeling. Star
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2022 at 03:30
Cool that SX is garnering more votes! Kudos to the Odvin guy who created this poll; whoever he is. TongueCool
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 11:20
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

It's not hatred as such but I struggle to think of any band in this 'genre' that has anything of interest to offer.  It's as if 'metal guitar' somehow papers over a lack of ideas and to go for something that is more commercially acceptable.  Sun O))) for instance seemed to offer more interesting approaches within the genre without playing to the crowd.  I still found Dream Theater unbearable and I resent them for the hype that surrounded them and that I was daft enough to pay good money to see them!

That's fine. Thanks for explaining. 

When I discovered Dream Theater in the 90s, they were a breath of fresh air. Most progressive metal I listened back then was more than welcome. 

DT has a few albums I struggle with as well, they're either predictable, or uneven, especially later day DT. 

Can’t disagree with that!
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 08:15

Horses for courses!

I googled it to see what it means. 
I learn something every day. Tongue
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 08:13
Horses for courses!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 07:59
Symphony X for me. Love the comments that say they have nothing to offer other than loud metal guitars. LMFAO Party

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 07:34

It's not hatred as such but I struggle to think of any band in this 'genre' that has anything of interest to offer.  It's as if 'metal guitar' somehow papers over a lack of ideas and to go for something that is more commercially acceptable.  Sun O))) for instance seemed to offer more interesting approaches within the genre without playing to the crowd.  I still found Dream Theater unbearable and I resent them for the hype that surrounded them and that I was daft enough to pay good money to see them!

That's fine. Thanks for explaining. 

When I discovered Dream Theater in the 90s, they were a breath of fresh air. Most progressive metal I listened back then was more than welcome. 

DT has a few albums I struggle with as well, they're either predictable, or uneven, especially later day DT. 

Edited by Cristi - November 03 2022 at 07:37
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 07:29
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 06:58

Prog-metal?  The best prog bands incorporate metal into their palettes - not ram it down our throats.  Even the instrumental bridge midway through Henry Cow's 'Living in the Heart of the Beast'  qualifies them.  
I saw Dream Theatre (sic) in 2011, one of a tiny handful of bands I walked out early on (along with Dire Straits...)

Who's ramming it down your throat? Exaggerating much? 
The poll already has a "neither" option. No need to express your hatred further. 
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 06:51
Prog-metal?  The best prog bands incorporate metal into their palettes - not ram it down our throats.  Even the instrumental bridge midway through Henry Cow's 'Living in the Heart of the Beast'  qualifies them.  
I saw Dream Theatre (sic) in 2011, one of a tiny handful of bands I walked out early on (along with Dire Straits...)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 03:06
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Dream Theater for me, been following them since the first album. Like so many others, I agree they’re a shadow of the band they used to be, but they have made some amazing albums - WDADU, I&W, SFAM, SDOIT, Octavarium and BCASL are my favourites.

So has Symphony X. Their debut album gets a lot of flak because of the vocalist, but the albums with Russel Allen are great. They don't have as many albums as DT, but they're a very consistent band, consistently good that is. 

Also the two solo albums of Michael Romeo (War of the Worlds 1 and 2) are great, definitely worth checking out. 
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 02:57
Dream Theater for me, been following them since the first album. Like so many others, I agree they’re a shadow of the band they used to be, but they have made some amazing albums - WDADU, I&W, SFAM, SDOIT, Octavarium and BCASL are my favourites.
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
HeyItsJustJP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeyItsJustJP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 18:43
SymX without a second thought
PaulG View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 18:17
I voted for Symphony X. I like Dream Theater just as much yet the vote is swayed to much for Dream Theater so I voted Symphony X. When it comes to a favorite album from both bands Symphony X wins with V and Divine Wings of Tragedy. Otherwise if I look at both bands and their respective releases as a whole Dream Theater wins. They have more good releases. I haven’t been impressed with either band recently, especially Symphony ax’s last three releases. When it comes down to it the last time I was blown away by either band was the early 2000’s. Time for a new release from
Symphony X similar to the Divine Wings of Tragedy through The Odyssey period. I would be more than happy. The last release from Dream Theater that blew me away was Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Oh well. Those were the days.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 14:16
Both equally...
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 12:48
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 12:42
Neither not my cup of tea
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>