24 [48.98%]
12 [24.49%]
3 [6.12%]
10 [20.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater vs. Symphony X
    Posted: September 22 2019 at 14:15
Dream Theater is way more popular and one of the pioneers of prog metal. They seem to be the instant winners of this poll.

While,

They also have ample haters. Also lots of people think that Symphony X has been more consistent regarding their discography.

I respect and like Dream Theater to an extent, yet I'm a big Symphony X fanboy.

What about you?
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 15:10
Neither really.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 15:59
DT
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 18:32
I use Symphony X as my go-to example of what is wrong with Prog Metal.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 19:47
DT, not even fair IMO.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 20:01
Don’t know too much by symphony x, but I think their album V is the second best album named V with a yellow desert on the cover released in 2000. First is Spocks beards V
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 23:58
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

wow, really? what's so wrong with them?
there are far worse bands than Symphony X...
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 00:44
X
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 06:30
DT  for sure
Prog On!
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 07:08
Dream Theater.
Can't get into Symphony X.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 07:09
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

Neither really.
Same with me. Some of their stuff I like, but not enough to consider them on my list of favorites, or even great bands.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 19:48
Dream Theater easily, what I have heard of Symphony X hasn't impressed me nor made me want o check out more from them.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 22:29
Dream Theater easily......What I have from Symphony X has not been played in years.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 01:23
Symphony X all day. Divine Wings of Tragedy, Twilight in Olympus, V, The Odyssey...

Dream Theater makes me want to take a nap. The definition of sterile prog for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 04:25
Symphony X gets my vote I think but that takes nothing away from dream theater its just Symphony X is more to my taste and I think each release has been slightly more consistent overall. I'm looking forward to a new Symphony X CD ... I hope there will be one.  
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 04:27
My vote goes to Symphony X. I own a lot of records from both bands but I like SX probably more. But it's true to say that my interest in both these bands diminished during passing years. Last record I really like from SX is The Odyssey from 2002 and Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (2002) from DT. I do buy both bands new records but in fact they seem to me rather sterile. Especially DT works (every two years a new record - yes, the music is ok and they play it great - but all these record are rather unimpressive, predictable...). The same (to a smaller extent) is true for SX (but they've done only three such records during 17 years comparing with 8 from DT).
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 19:52
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I am sure they are nice guys who I would like to have a beer with. They are certainly technically proficient, but that is all it is. Just technicality. And every time I have listened to them I was immediately reminded of some other band. Generic.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 20:17

Pure technicality and generic? Perhaps it is Dragonforce (your avatar reminded me of them). LOL

I think Symphony X has lots of signature elements and shows a great variety of emotions. Of course it is a matter of liking and perception, after all.

I barely saw anybody who isn't at least impressed by this song's spirituality, BTW.

Edited by Odvin Draoi - September 24 2019 at 20:37
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 22:53
^ Actually, Comunion and the Oracle is the only song I have particularly liked from Symphony X. Yeah, mostly everything else is nice, and hardly anything makes me want to skip it, but neither does it make me want to hear them.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 00:46

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I am sure they are nice guys who I would like to have a beer with. They are certainly technically proficient, but that is all it is. Just technicality. And every time I have listened to them I was immediately reminded of some other band. Generic.

Finding them generic and calling them an example of what is wrong with prog metal are two different things imo.

Just technicality?! But they are very melodic as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>