3 [30.00%]
3 [30.00%]
2 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Hobbit in the Fellowship
    Posted: September 23 2019 at 23:37
Well this is a hard question, they all are endearing and wonderfull in their own right and loyal to the end. Munti and Pippin both had quite a progression in the story, of obtaining loyalty to Rohan and Gondor. Both died abbroad and as heroes. Sam is the loyal hero whom carries the burdon loyal to the bitter end. Frodo is the protagonist and is in the focus alot, And hes burden is felt in every P.o.V. he get some critique of being wainy, tiresome, which is an honest opinion. I also wore tiresome of the Frodo chapters yet they also was layered with sympathi and intence moments of pure horro.

Edited by Icarium - September 24 2019 at 01:02
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 00:40
a little correction: Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took, or shortly Merry and Pippin (where did you come up with "Munti"?), don't die abroad; they return home, taller than they left due to the waters of Fangorn, to clear the Shire and expel the human ruffians that overtook it

Edited by BaldJean - September 24 2019 at 00:46

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 01:00
I looked at the Norwegian Wiki and was initially writing Merry. but i was to tired and stood in the line to a ferry while posting. Munti is the norwegian translation/version
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 02:29
Gollum Evil Smile

Or Tom Bombadil LOL

Why is Bimbo (pun intendedWink) not a choice?? Confused

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 08:50
hes not part of the fellowship which is Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Gimli, Legolas, Boromir, Aragorn and Gandalf
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 13:51
Hi,

Weird, while I enjoyed the films, A LOT (with some outstanding performances!), in many ways, I am not a fan of these books and they did not shake me as much as the films did, for example.

I, usually, live "inside" the story, and surprisingly enough for me, the weird part was that the film held more of my mind than any of the parts of the series ... I don't know that I can explain that properly at all, btw!

There aren't many "series" that I enjoy reading, though the Cornwell's series (the one that ended up having Sean Bean on 16 episodes in Spain and France around the time of Wellington and Napoleon), but I think that it may have been that its "history" is closer to my sentiments, since it is European by inclination ... and as much as I live within a dream world in my mind to write and such, something like Cornwell's stories are easier for my mind to believe, than the phantasmagoric vision in the Fellowship ... and this is the part that is a bit weird for me.

Another example, is the series of books by Carlos Castaneda, where the last 4 books (ending in The Art of Dreaming) are fantastic and have a lot of things I have experienced and can play with inside my mind ... and this is one of the reasons why those books are so special to me ... and many folks think its just crap ... and it's akin to reading THE BARDO ... where each stage is separated by a "door" that is guarded by a "dragon", and I know inside that it is just an image for ourselves when we are confronted with something that we don't know and are afraid to face ... this was the same thing with myself and a girlfriend in a supposed "haunted house with ghosts" ... and it didn't bother me ... and I had the feeling that it was not exactly clear and true, because its "movement" was not open ... it was "centralized"! Thus, its supposed fears disappeared in me, and I even laughed a few times which made my girlfriend get even more scared!

Now you kow why some films and literature make it with me and some don't.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 14:58
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

a little correction: Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took, or shortly Merry and Pippin (where did you come up with "Munti"?), don't die abroad; they return home, taller than they left due to the waters of Fangorn, to clear the Shire and expel the human ruffians that overtook it

In the appendices is told that Meriadoc and Peregrin passed to their sons and they spent their last years in Rohan and Gondor.

My hobbit ranking: Frodo > Bilbo >= Samwise > Merry > Pippin

Edited by someone_else - September 24 2019 at 14:59
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 15:36
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

In the appendices is told that Meriadoc and Peregrin passed to their sons and they spent their last years in Rohan and Gondor.

My hobbit ranking: Frodo > Bilbo >= Samwise > Merry > Pippin

yes, they FINALLY died there. but the post made it sound as if they died there in the course of the events described in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, which they did not

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 13:26
Pippin
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 17:43
The only character that I relate to in LOTR is Tom Bombadil, and sadly he was excluded in the movies.

As for the hobbits, hmm. Frodo, I guess.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 18:10
I love Sam the best, for his loyalty and steadfastness.  He was every bit as important at Frodo in the tale, as took the burden when Frodo could not.  He gave the ring back to Frodo after carrying it's burden, because he didn't fall as easily to it's lure (although Frodo kind of had to, in order to battle Gollum in the end as he did).  He went back home afterwards, married the girl he loved and lived his life as a good Hobbit.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 18:34

I just had remembered this one some days ago!  Good one!  Big smile  Clap

I'll go with Merry..  because I like the first part of 'The Fellowship..' the most out of the trilogy, in which Tolkien doesn't rush to go with the plot as in the movies, and at will relates the idiosyncracy of life in the Shire, the parental relations, customs, etc., and beautifully describes the outskirts when they are already traveling.

About the end of that part, when they plan to accompany Frodo on his trip, and they were leaving the outskirts of the Shire, they have to sort-of cross to an (enchanted) Forest and if I remember well is Merry who knows someone around there, or his family is from there, I don't remember, and he gets with the way around to get to the Forest..  through some door or something in a sort-of tunnel or wall.

Though Frodo gets points for his sheer bravery at the Barrows.. (that also doesn't show in the movie) when he overcomes his fear and saves them all, with Tom Bombadil's help maybe, don't remember exactly.

(I re-read the trilogy all-in-one for Kindle some 3 or 4 years ago, first time in english, and was greatly impressed by that extense first part; though the telling of Frodo and Sam's calvary through Mordor's landscape in 'The Return..' is a favorite too).  Thumbs Up

Edited by Machinemessiah - July 20 2020 at 07:36
 Post Reply Post Reply