Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covers on Back in NYC By Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which version do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [20.00%]
4 [80.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covers on Back in NYC By Genesis
    Posted: September 28 2019 at 16:03
And what about Nick D'Virgilio version on 2008 tribute album Rewiring Genesis ?
Superb, I tell you, and with the surprising (?)  inclusion of orchestral strings and winds !!!

(Unfortunately can't find an online streaming for you to take a taste - the release label was SPV records, if that helps)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 10:15
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I never heard any of them, so no vote.

Thanks for that.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2019 at 14:50
To be honest, neither of the OP choices does absolutely anything for me. They both lack the passion and depth of emotion that Gabriel presented.
That being said, the Kevin Gilbert isn't bad but the Giraffe certainly has the feel that the song deserves.
It's always a toss up when a remake is done. Some have found excellent alternative presentations while others fall flat.
No Vote for either of these off the mark remakes.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2019 at 10:37
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

And also KEVIN GILBERT - believe me, deserves a listen !

That's the one that gets my vote.  But it's not on the poll, so I will open Buckley's account.
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2019 at 07:54
In fact I don't know. Every version has it's pros and cons (Kevin Gilbert version count in) and I could listen to it being not offended... On the other side I don't find reason to listen to different versions of old songs (there are some exceptions - maybe Cocker's version of Beatles or Yes America - but both these "covers" are old too).

Thus no vote here.
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJoker7169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2019 at 03:26
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Kev is my choice, always, in anything. This is no exception.

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 17:27
^ thats real good--thanks-- never heard it. Song has a special place for me as I live in NYC..
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 14:08

wschm007 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wschm007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 13:59
District 97 has also done this at RoSfest, Calprog, etc.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 11:06
Both make me miss the original. No vote.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 09:34
I never heard any of them, so no vote.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 08:43
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

2 great talents--like Dunnery better but I have always thought he should have been on all Hacketts albums and would have made a great replacement on CAS Genesis album.

I think that would have been excellent. I wonder how much freedom Banks would have given him as a lead guitarist, and whether he would have been allowed to contribute as a writer.

His virtuoso lead playing was a big part of the It Bites sound, especially on the second and third albums, and although It Bites had a notable 'pop' element to their music, the guitar parts were most certainly more hard rock than in Genesis at any time, with the possible exception of live performances by Daryl.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 08:02
2 great talents--like Dunnery better but I have always thought he should have been on all Hacketts albums and would have made a great replacement on CAS Genesis album.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 07:58
There's one on the Tin Spirits debut album as well.

And here it is.

Live

Studio

Edited by chopper - September 28 2019 at 10:14
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 07:46
I hadn't heard Frank Dunnery's version of this Genesis classic. My vote goes to Frank.

Which version do you prefer?

Back in NYC - Francis Dunnery

Back in NYC - Jeff Buckley
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply