Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fripp Wants Money From David Bowie!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fripp Wants Money From David Bowie!
    Posted: September 25 2019 at 12:54
https://www.nme.com/news/music/king-crimsons-robert-fripp-in-dispute-with-david-bowies-estate-and-ppl-over-work-on-heroes-and-scary-monsters-2551180

So Robert Fripp wants to be credited as a "Featured Artist" on the work he did with David Bowie on both "Heroes" and Scary Monsters And Super Creeps.
The estate of Bowie and the UK branch of Phonographic Performance Limited disagree.

You got your popcorn? Might be worth getting a more balanced diet for this one!
If this has been eating away at El Fripp for so long, why didn't he discuss or put a claim in with Bowie when he was still alive?
So are we going to see "Heroes" reissued (agaaaaain...) with "FEATURING ROBERT FRIPP OF KING CRIMSON" on them?
And are Van Der Graff Generator crapping themselves over Robert coming for them over his work on the track "The Emperor In His War Room"?

So if you happen to make music and have a mate of yours coming along to lay something on your track... Be wary!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 13:05
He is featured on those tracks though, why shouldn't he be credited? Confused

AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 13:15
I thought things were ok as they were, I'd be happy with the credit as they are now. But then this would probably require an insight into his mind. And mind reading isn't one of my skills sadly.
But yeah, Robert Fripp provided the guitar line for Heroes. I've no idea what the hell is going on and was hoping more here could explain things better.
Or post Peter Griffin "Oh my God, who the hell cares?" GIFs. S'all good!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 16:10
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

And are Van Der Graff Generator crapping themselves over Robert coming for them over his work on the track "The Emperor In His War Room"?
Let's not forget Mr. Fripp's fine work on Pawn Hearts!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2019 at 05:27
Fripp is the reason I like Scary Monsters more than most other Bowie albums.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2019 at 09:33
this could be bigger than Moraz suing MoodiesLOL
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2019 at 09:55
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Do tell! Who won?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2019 at 14:55

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Do tell! Who won?

Moraz sued the Moody Blues for wrongful dismissal and $500k and was offered an out of court settlement of $400,000 but rejected this and proceeded to trial where he was awarded just $75,000. The 'Pound Chaser' got caught....
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2019 at 15:39
I'd love to see what happens on this one. It'll be interesting what R F has to say after is all over.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2019 at 04:02
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Let's not forget Mr. Fripp's fine work on Pawn Hearts!

He does indeed play on "Pawn Hearts". The solo at the end of "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" is often wrongly ascribed to him though; this solo is played by Hugh Banton on his organ.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 10:46
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Fripp and Eno working with Bowie are what really opened me up to Bowie.  If the people making money off of Bowie, after he isn't with us anymore, are causing the trouble for the love of money, it's a damned shame. Cry  Heroes was my first but 1. Outside really clicked with me.  Sounds more that what RF really wants is just due credit.  OK maybe some money, too Wink

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 28 2019 at 11:09
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 11:15
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Fripp and Eno working with Bowie are what really opened me up to Bowie.  If the people making money off of Bowie, after he isn't with us anymore, are causing the trouble for the love of money, it's a damned shame. Cry  Heroes was my first but 1. Outside really clicked with me.  Sounds more that what RF really wants is just due credit.  OK maybe some money, too Wink

Estates recently are really horribly run. Strongest example is Jimi Hendrix. Janine Hendrix married into the family, used his biological family for publicity then shut them out and now owns it all. Biopic about Hendrix? OK, but don't ever mention he took drugs!
Hendrix fans:....
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 11:54
One assumes that Fripp and Eno were credited on the albums at the time (and paid...).....why now ask for featured artist...?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
admireArt View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admireArt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 22:22
Bowie the loved by all rip-off magician, face over talent!

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 04:23
Of course he would. He's also one big prick who doesn't allow people to enjoy his music 😂😂
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 01:33
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Of course he would. He's also one big prick who doesn't allow people to enjoy his music 😂😂

I'm honestly surprised nobody said it sooner. Fripp, these days, comes off kind of prickish. He seems to be obsessed with every nook and cranny possible regarding royalties and credits. Even if it's owed to him it leaves a bad taste IMHO. It's like he knows he's got little to nothing left to offer for new material, and needs to cash in on all his older stuff? I don't like it.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 02:40
^ There is, or was, a prevalent feeling in the prog comm that Fripp had every right to be protective and litigious of his music, especially under the circumstances of the industry and modern freedoms of music.   And his position does have merit, but has also become harder to defend over the years.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 22:16
"This week saw a new version of the iconic “Heroes” video released to mark the track’s 42nd anniversary.

Back in June, Johnny Depp covered ‘Heroes’ with The Hollywood Vampires, who also boast Alice Cooper and Aerosmith’s Joe Perry among their members."

hmmmm....I'm sure this might have something to do with his awakened interest!  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 03:12
I only know Motorhead's and Peter Gabriel's covers of the song Heroes. Both great.
Oh and I heard of course KC's live version of the song, but I always thought Fripp has the right to play it since he played guitar on the song. What do i know...

Edited by Cristi - October 09 2019 at 03:14
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaphaelT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 15:06
About 2016/2018 I've heard three different live versions of "Heroes". By King Crimson, Depeche Mode, and Steven Wilson. Well, maybe in last case it was Space Oddity.

It has become a habit among artists to pay hommage to David Bowie by playing this song.

I can't blame Mr Fripp for trying to secure his credits for this track. This guitar line is so innovative that it constitutes the greatness of whole song. As great as vocal.
yet you still have time!
 Post Reply Post Reply