Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A question about time signatures in Styx songs.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A question about time signatures in Styx songs.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iacób Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A question about time signatures in Styx songs.
    Posted: September 29 2019 at 13:04
I would greatly appreciate it, if any of you could tell me the time signatures in every Styx song up to Pieces of Eight.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 13:23
Wow, every song?? I would contact Rick Beato on his YT channel. The guy is excellent at explaining song structures, one of the best out there.
Iacób View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iacób Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 13:34
Well at least every song from the albums Styx 2, Man of Miracles, Equinix, Crystal Ball, Grand Illusion, and Pieces of Eight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by Iacób - September 29 2019 at 13:41
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 13:49
Thumbs Up
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 13:51
Damn. I need to do a Styx binge. Such a great band. But don't stop at Pieces. Cornerstone is great. 

ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 15:13
Well, Come Sail Away is in 4/4 all the way through; there's a start for you! I'm not too familiar with Styx, but I've never really known them for experimenting with a lot of time signatures. It's a bit of a tall order to ask for an analysis of every single song within a certain time period - unless you're talking to a drummer in a Styx tribute band, I don't think many people are going to be that dedicated to the music of Styx to have an answer for you. You might get better results if you count along yourself and ask for help regarding specific songs that you're unsure of.
Iacób View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iacób Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 15:48
Yeah I guess I'll have to go figure this out for myself. Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna go listen to Cornerstone right now.

Edited by Iacób - September 29 2019 at 15:48
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 05:36
My guess is that Styx rarely wrote songs other than 4/4, though maybe the first Styx album (their proggiest)  could hold some surprises

I mean I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that the Panozzo brothers and  the band as a whole were probably not able (at least consciously) to play in any other rhythms... Or maybe didn't care to.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 07:04
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

My guess is that Styx rarely wrote songs other than 4/4, though maybe the first Styx album (their proggiest)  could hold some surprises

I mean I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that the Panozzo brothers and  the band as a whole were probably not able (at least consciously) to play in any other rhythms... Or maybe didn't care to.

I think you're right Hugues. I listened to Cornerstone (well about half of it as I couldn't stand any more) and there was no sign of anything as complicated as a 3/4,  let alone anything as proggy as a 9/8. Far too AOR for that.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 09:16
If you're asking.... you can't hear it. If you can't hear it, you'll have problems playing it. ;-)

Seriously. Count it out. You can learn how to count time signatures or you can ask what signature every tune you're going to play is in. The former method is actually easier, in the long run. 

Iacób View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iacób Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 09:42
Yeah I can do it, just not very well. But I thank I've been able to figure out songs, I believe that the chorus in Superstars is 3/4 then 4/4 or 7/4, and the same in the verse for Rock & Roll Feeling

Edited by Iacób - September 30 2019 at 09:48
 Post Reply Post Reply