Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dark Side of the Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Dark Side of the Moon
    Posted: September 30 2019 at 14:27

Syd Barrett, the guitarist with Pink Floyd, was a creative genius in his TIME, having written such psychedelic RELICS as "ARNOLD LAYNE" and "SEE EMILY PLAY", where his abstruse lyrics were sometimes OBSCURED BY CLOUDS.  Sadly, his overuse of the psychedelic drug LSD led to BRAIN DAMAGE and mental illness. In A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON, he's rumoured to have walked all the way from London to his home in Cambridge.

While most Pink Floyd fans will be aware that SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND was written as a tribute to Syd Barrett, I wonder how many Pink Floyd fans know that their first album, THE PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN, was a chapter from Kenneth Grahame's book, "The Wind in the Willows".

It's with SORROW  we remember that Syd Barrett (1946-2006) and Richard Wright (1943-2008) are no longer with us and they're now COMFORTABLY NUMB, having both gone to THE GREAT GIG IN THE SKY. I've never seen Pink Floyd perform live IN THE FLESH, but their music will live on forever.  No Prog-Rock band will ever ECLIPSE the music of Pink Floyd, no matter how much TIME goes by in THE ENDLESS RIVER of eternity.

The space-themed songs of Pink Floyd SPEAK TO ME with special appeal because one of my passions in life is ASTRONOMY DOMINE. It's nice to STOP for a moment and dream of ONE OF THESE DAYS leaving MOTHER Earth behind and flying ROUND AND AROUND the universe forever. It'd be GOODBYE BLUE SKY as I SET THE CONTROLS FOR THE HEART OF THE SUN. I'd be LEARNING TO FLY with A NEW MACHINE capable of unimaginable speeds in INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE. I'd fly with the PULSE jets FLAMING past THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON towards the FAT OLD SUN and then out into the EMPTY SPACES beyond. Eventually, I'd arrive at the Alpha Centauri CLUSTER ONE star system looking for SIGNS OF LIFE where there are TWO SUNS IN THE SUNSET. I've often wondered IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE in the vast universe or is there NOBODY HOME.

I REMEMBER A DAY back in the mid-1960's when landing a man on the Moon seemed about as likely as seeing PIGS ON THE WING. At the TIME, THE DOGS OF WAR had just been unleashed in Vietnam, when the USA took the disastrous decision to MEDDLE in a foreign war in a faraway land. The more recent calamitous decision to invade Iraq in 2003 has resonant ECHOES of the Vietnam War. Both terrible wars bring into stark contrast the POLES APART difference between war and peaceful space exploration.

American Presidents KEEP TALKING about one day landing a man on Mars and plans are now COMING BACK TO LIFE for a Mars mission. I have HIGH HOPES that we'll one day land men on Mars and that will be A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM. I'll be LOST FOR WORDS if it ever happens in my lifetime. It'll be ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL of space exploration where MONEY is no barrier to scientific discovery. The first men on Mars will be FEARLESS explorers who've made THE FINAL CUT and they won't RUN LIKE HELL at the prospect of ONE SLIP-up leaving them MAROONED on a distant planet.

Thanks to the Internet, we're now living through some of THE HAPPIEST DAYS OF OUR LIVES and Prog Archives is ONE OF THE FEW websites devoted to Prog-Rock. It's just the website we needed to BREATHE new life into the genre, which appeared to be dying out in the late 1970's with the arrival of Punk Rock. It was a case of US AND THEM, with "Us", the prog-rockers, ranged against "Them", the punk-rockers. Prog-Rock is now COMING BACK TO LIFE with a vengeance and there's much MORE than A SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS just waiting to be rediscovered in the wonderful world of Prog-Rock. The choice of music these days is virtually unlimited and it's not a case of ANY COLOUR YOU LIKE as long as it's black. To any of my friends who haven't yet discovered this amazing site, I say WISH YOU WERE HERE with me to enjoy it.

I can hear the DELICATE SOUND OF THUNDER outside and the rain's pounding against THE WALL. I'm a lover of all ANIMALS, and I often wonder how  PIGS, SHEEP and DOGS cope when they're ON THE RUN outside in the middle of a thunderstorm. I love to watch a thunderstorm at nighttime and I'll often open the curtains in order to LET THERE BE MORE LIGHT coming in from the distant flashes of lightning, which are never OBSCURED BY CLOUDS.

All song and album titles in HIGHLIGHTS by Pink Floyd

3 stars 1967: Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kSgXPSP2bLvCWtPF64Wopm2N1OHhCe4sg
 4 stars 1969: Pink Floyd - More (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI8T_Rwi1hE
 5 stars 1972: Pink Floyd - Live at Pompeii - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhDfmUnN1vY
 4 stars 1987: Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n08I7C9aGvUGTWmENUINUSQNiV1BVZ_cs
 5 stars 1988: Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHf5IftRKPs
 5 stars 1995: Pink Floyd - P-U-L-S-E - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HriYRoxWo1I

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 23 2022 at 08:12
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 14:46
I wonder how many Pink Floyd fans of my generation, like me, knew Wind in the Willows before knowing Pink Floyd? And I was born years after Pink Floyd released its first album. My Godather sent me audio tapes of him reading the whole thing, and it was one of the first novels that I read as a child -- I found the "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" chapter magical. OH, I also read it to my children (only finished it with one of them), but my Godfather had a much more dramatic voice, and I just put them to sleep quickly by reading it. So it was effective in that sense. Perhaps I should have got them the audio novel Kenneth Branagh reads Kenneth Grahame's Wind in the Willows, with a foreword by Kenneth Anger (if it exists, which is doubtful, at least when it comes to a foreword by Anger).

I almost feel like that should be required reading for children as there is such warmth, humour, and humanity in that tale of animals.

Edited by Logan - September 30 2019 at 15:00
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 14:53
Nice!!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 15:14
@Logan:- In my case, I'm old enough to remember "The Wind in the Willows" long before becoming aware of Pink Floyd. I didn't buy my first Pink Floyd album until the mid-1990's even though I was born in 1959. 
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 15:23
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm a lover of all ANIMALS
An unfortunate thing. Smile
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 15:30
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I'm a lover of all ANIMALS

An unfortunate thing. Smile

Well, if he's the animals' lover in a more Platonic sense, it's probably okay.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 15:34
Yes, I meant it in a purely Platonic sense. Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 15:38

@Logan:- In my case, I'm old enough to remember "The Wind in the Willows" long before becoming aware of Pink Floyd. I didn't buy my first Pink Floyd album until the mid-1990's even though I was born in 1959. 

Interesting. Despite my youth, I bought my first Pink Floyd album in 1983, that was the first record I bought. The first cassette I bought was The Who's It's Hard, and the first CD I bought was the soundtrack for a film called The Hunger. I guess I got to know Pink Floyd in the late 70s thanks to one of my brother's and my friend's older brothers.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 15:56
I never bought any Pink Floyd albums on vinyl. I bought my first Pink Floyd album (The Dark Side of the Moon) on CD, around about 1995. I remember the first album I ever bought on vinyl was Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" in 1973 when I was 14 years old.
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 15:57

I also bought my first Pink Floyd album in the mid 90s (The Division Bell, when it was out); but I was born in 1981. Haha. One thing I consider myselt lucky about is, I'm among the first people in Turkey who read the original Turkish translation of The Lord of the Rings novels. It was translated to Turkish very belatedly (1997-98), I don't know why. At that time, my English was in the upper-intermediate level at best, so reading its Turkish translation was the only way to enjoy and understand it properly. Actually again in or around that year, I read The Dark Tower's first novel (hey another DT, haha) and was blown away. I immediately forgot about LOTR and began on a quest for searching the missing parts of that legend by Stephen King (who is the real DT's enemy, haha). Smile

Edited by Odvin Draoi - September 30 2019 at 16:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 16:06
@Odvin Draoi:- "The Division Bell" was a good choice for your first Pink Floyd album purchase, because I consider that to be their best album. Maybe it's time for a best Pink Floyd album poll, although I have a feeling that "The Dark Side of the Moon" will win the poll hands down. Smile
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 16:51
No doubt "Dark Side of the Moon" is the best ever Pink Floyd album, and a good candidate for best Prog Album of them all, but Pink Floyd's best individual songs are not in DSotM, Echoes (the song) and Shine on you crazy diamonds" are better individually than anything in DSotM. 
Long live Progresive music!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 16:57
I totally agree. I think "Echoes" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" are Pink Floyd's two best songs. Thumbs Up
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 17:00
High Hopes for me. Though, I'm quite ignorant about Pink Floyd. I know the two songs you mentioned, yet I prefer High Hopes.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 17:05
Pink Floyd has covered so much in their catalog, that there's a little something for everyone, and are able to appeal to many different people, with many different tastes. Great band, and certainly one of my best ten of all times.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 17:15

In childhood, I saw the 30-minute Disney cartoon The Wind and the Willows (1949) on TV and later purchased it on VHS. Also, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland Park (Anaheim, Calif.) is based on the children's novel.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 21:05

I never bought any Pink Floyd albums on vinyl. I bought my first Pink Floyd album (The Dark Side of the Moon) on CD, around about 1995. I remember the first album I ever bought on vinyl was Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" in 1973 when I was 14 years old.

Vinyl rulez!!! Clap

Hearing DSOtM on my TT is simply amazing, I've had several copies but the 30th Anniversary edition that was cut by Doug Sax and Kevin Gray mastered at RTI is simply glorious.
I have not spun Tubular Bells in a long time, maybe tomorrow.....I have an original US pressing 1973.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 22:26
Mostly Autumn performed some excellent cover versions of Pink Floyd's classic songs on their Pink Floyd Revisited DVD from 2004 and some of the live performances can be seen on YouTube.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 23:49
Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

No doubt "Dark Side of the Moon" is the best ever Pink Floyd album, and a good candidate for best Prog Album of them all, but Pink Floyd's best individual songs are not in DSotM, Echoes (the song) and Shine on you crazy diamonds" are better individually than anything in DSotM. 

Couldn't agree less Wink

Time is my favourite Floyd song while Wish You Were Here is near perfect as an album (perhaps the decision to bring Roy Harper in Have a Cigar was regrettable but the title track is one of the best songs ever written from a sentimental point of view and Welcome To The Machine is just so lush, maybe Wright's finest moment)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 00:38
@RichardH:- "Have a Cigar" and "Welcome to the Machine" are two of the Pink Floyd songs I couldn't find a place for in my blog. I agree it was a bad decision to bring in Roy Harper on vocals for "Have a Cigar" when Dave Gilmour would have sounded much better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>