Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dark Side of the Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 04:46
Pete Pardo from the Sea of Tranquility YouTube channel ranks and reviews all of Pink Floyd's albums.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 09:10
Well...I don't listen to Floyd much these days but Animals is not 1 for me that would be DSOTM...simply due to it's iconic nature....otherwise I tend to agree with most of his rankings, but as he mentioned I usually play the early psych stuff more.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 09:40
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well...I don't listen to Floyd much these days but Animals is not 1 for me that would be DSOTM...simply due to it's iconic nature....otherwise I tend to agree with most of his rankings, but as he mentioned I usually play the early psych stuff more.
I'm with you Doctor No. I usually stop with Meddle.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 10:38
Pink Floyd's Animals album isn't even in my Top 7.....

1. The Division Bell
2. The Dark Side of the Moon
3. Wish You Were Here
4. The Endless River
5. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
6. The Wall
7. Atom Heart Mother

I'd rank Ummagumma as my least favourite Pink Floyd album of all, although it's still a good solid 3-star album for me. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 31 2020 at 10:40
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 10:40
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

1. The Division Bell
3. Wish You Were Here
4. The Endless River
6. The Wall
7. Atom Heart Mother

LOL
it's like you're asking for sarcasm... LOL
must... refrain... LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 10:44
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

1. The Division Bell
3. Wish You Were Here
4. The Endless River
6. The Wall
7. Atom Heart Mother

LOL
must... refrain... LOL
I agree with most of what Pete Pardo says in his Sea of Tranquility video above, apart from Animals being the best Pink Floyd album, which I'd rank at No. 8 in my list. Smile 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 10:53

1. The Division Bell
3. Wish You Were Here
4. The Endless River
6. The Wall
7. Atom Heart Mother

LOL
must... refrain... LOL
I agree with most of what Pete Pardo says in his Sea of Tranquility video above, apart from Animals being the best Pink Floyd album, which I'd rank at No. 8 in my list. Smile 

You might be trolling the rest of us with that list. 
It makes no sense to me how you put The Endless River, an album of leftover ideas from The Division Bell sessions, as your number 4, ahead of PF albums from the 70s not to mention 60s, when the band was coming with great, original ideas. 

The Gilmour albums are a well applied recipe already. I like them, but they pale with what Floyd did in the past. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 11:01
^ It's not about "trolling" at all. It's just a difference of opinion, that's all. At least I have Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here in my Top 3, even if you disagree with my No. 1 choice of album. Smile
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 14:27

^ It's not about "trolling" at all. It's just a difference of opinion, that's all. At least I have Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here in my Top 3, even if you disagree with my No. 1 choice of album. Smile

I would've thought your username suggested that you'd lean towards the most "psychedelic" phase of Pink Floyd, and The Division Bell and most of the others you listed are far from that category. But to each his own. There's plenty more of psychedelic music out there.

And by the way, I concur with most of your top PF top albums list.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 16:12
Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

I would've thought your username suggested that you'd lean towards the most "psychedelic" phase of Pink Floyd, and The Division Bell and most of the others you listed are far from that category. But to each his own. There's plenty more of psychedelic music out there.

And by the way, I concur with most of your top PF top albums list.

Thanks! At least someone agrees with me, mostly. Smile

An interview with Nick Mason and Alan Parsons on the recording of the Dark Side of the Moon album.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 15:36
^ One of them appears to have struggled with 'lock down weight' by the looks of it. (and yes it is pot calling the kettle black coming from me LOL )
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 16:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ One of them appears to have struggled with 'lock down weight' by the looks of it. (and yes it is pot calling the kettle black coming from me LOL )

Well, the main thing is that Alan Parsons and Nick Mason are both still with Us, even if one of Them has become Comfortably plump since his Prime Time. Smile
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 18:19

Pete Pardo from the Sea of Tranquility YouTube channel ranks and reviews all of Pink Floyd's albums.

I really enjoy this channel. Probably one of my favorite reviews channel out there. 
About "The Division Bell", I find it quite nice to see it in top 3, even if it's very different from the early PF.
Not for rent. To any God or government.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 02:15

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Well, the main thing is that Alan Parsons and Nick Mason are both still with Us, even if one of Them has become Comfortably plump since his Prime Time. Smile

Maybe so, but he also looks at least 15 years younger than Nick (despite probably being slitghly older than him, he was already a studio rat for Sgt Pepper), even if he probably died his hair.

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 02:32

Pete's channel is great! Makes me happy to see that he has a solid auditory by now, and a growing exposure. Also, he has a great taste for prog!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 02:41
^ I'll see if I can find any Sea of Tranquility rankings for King  Crimson, Genesis, Yes and Van der Graaf Generator's albums too. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 02:44

^ I'll see if I can find any Sea of Tranquility rankings for King  Crimson, Genesis, Yes and Van der Graaf Generator's albums too. Smile

just an opinion, not more important than anyone else's 

He's ranked a ton of bands, I don't see how it's relevant to this thread. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 02:45

Well, if I find any Sea of Tranquility reviews for other bands, then I won't post them on this thread. Smile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 03:58

Well, if I find any Sea of Tranquility reviews for other bands, then I won't post them on this thread. Smile

SoT is more of Neo/prog/metal site in terms of tastes of their main contributors

Pardo's vids are really for those that need confirmation of what's been clear most most insiders for decades. I learn nothing new when I watched a few of his rambling-ons a couple of years ago, but hey, let him be. Glad he's useful to others.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 04:21
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

SoT is more of Neo/prog/metal site in terms of tastes of their main contributors

Pardo's vids are really for those that need confirmation of what's been clear most most insiders for decades. I learn nothing new when I watched a few of his rambling-ons a couple of years ago, but hey, let him be. Glad he's useful to others.

I'm not contesting the usefulness of SoT, just to this thread. That's all. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>