Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top albums, QWR, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top albums, QWR, etc.
    Posted: September 26 2023 at 07:51
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Seems to be a bug in the Last 24H popular artists list

Musica Dispersa has been on it for months now and it has only 3 ratings!

Same goes with other artists that just seem to linger there.

It was funny when an Asia album was stuck there for a while, it bothered quite a few people. LOL
Accidental humor is awesome. LOL

Funny yes but also sad because it's a sign this site is literally collapsing in all its basic functions Ouch

Like I said, accidental humor. Smile
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 07:45
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

It was funny when an Asia album was stuck there for a while, it bothered quite a few people. LOL

Funny yes but also sad because it's a sign this site is literally collapsing in all its basic functions Ouch

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 07:22

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 07:18

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 02:55
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2023 at 20:12
For me the numeric average rating of an album is absolutely meaningless.
Quote How can IQ be better than All Traps On Earth in one ranking, and All Traps On Earth be better than IQ in another ??
Better in what category? Production? Composition? Replay value? If one album has good lyrics but bad production for instance and another album has bad lyrics and good production, the two factors could add up to create the same numeric value for both albums, right?

See what I'm talking about? Assigning a numerical value to an album to determine its quality is flawed. You can't express a rating of something as complex as a music album with just a 1-5 number.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 15:29
The problem with QWR is that the number that determines the ranking depends on other album rankings in the list, so the rfatings of one album influences the ranking of another.

That's why I always fill in a non-zero minimum average rating value when I look for a list.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 04:25
is it funny only for me to see users freak out or complain about the front page charts?LOL
Sorry, i could not help it Embarrassed
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 04:15
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

R and N depend on the filter (i.e. the selected genres and years). So if you add/remove a year or genre to/from your filter then R and N will be recalculated based only on those albums in the filtered set - as a result that changes the QWR values. In other words, removing Heavy Prog changes the values of N and R used in the calculation of QWR and hence used to order the albums. This can have a dramatic effect as albums in the chart can switch places.
"Dramatic" is the word! Thanks for the explanation, but I still believe something must be done to avoid this absurd situation (see first post).
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 01:01
The position on the Top Albums list is based on the QWR (Query Weighted Rating) and not on the Average Rating value.

I found this in an older post:

The formula used is:

QWR = (NR + nr) / (N + n)

where QWR is the weighted rating, R is the average rating of all albums (in the selected query), N is the average number of votes per album for all albums (in the selected query), r is the album average and n is the number of ratings of the album.

R and N depend on the filter (i.e. the selected genres and years). So if you add/remove a year or genre to/from your filter then R and N will be recalculated based only on those albums in the filtered set - as a result that changes the QWR values. In other words, removing Heavy Prog changes the values of N and R used in the calculation of QWR and hence used to order the albums. This can have a dramatic effect as albums in the chart can switch places.

Edited by Gerinski - October 01 2019 at 01:22
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 22:00
I still don't get how the charts work. If you look at the top 250 and scan their positions and then click on a subgenre, the corresponding albums on both charts often don't appear in the same order. Total head scratcher.

patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 19:38
apparently QWR is not entirely dependent on average rating and number of votes. I had assumed it was...
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2019 at 18:28
Hi there,

I have a math question for you !

Here is the top 3 albums for 2018-2019 as of now :

... and here is the top 3 album for 2017-2018-2019 as of now :

How can IQ be better than All Traps On Earth in one ranking, and All Traps On Earth be better than IQ in another ??

Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply