Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands that are like Styx or Kansas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 08:33
The Neal Morse Band
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 09:02
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

THere's a somewhat obscure mid western AORish semi prog band called Shooting Star who were a bit similar to Kansas. In fact one of their later singers is now the lead singer for Kansas. 

I posted this video toward the top of this page.

Sorry but there are no awards for posting things on here first. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 06 2019 at 09:02
jctcom View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jctcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 21:07
This thread is pretty old but I just had to add a fairly obscure band call Ice Age

https://www.discogs.com/artist/393540-Ice-Age

The vocals are as close to Dennis DeYoung as I have heard though the music is a bit heavier.  Probably more along the lines of what styx would have become had Dennis DeYoung stayed and Tommy Shaw had more input into the music.

Unfortunately they only release the 2 albums.

Great band though!

They supposedly morphed into a band called "Soulfractured" but I have never found any releases by them.

Carl
Progressive Rock and Sci-Fi are the staples of life. (At least of mine anyways.)
freudiana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freudiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 22:57
Symphony X and Druckfarben sound a little like Kansas
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 06:21
Dream Theater to me has always had a lot in common with Kansas. If you replaced the violin on Magnum Opus with some Jordan Rudess keyboard tone I think it could almost pass as a very proggy Dream Theater song.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 11:57
Evership- Two albums from the past 6 years or so. They are pretty much exactly what you are looking for.

Surprise- Assault on Merryland A one and done album from around 1978. Of course it's on youtube.

Also, there was a band from Sweden from the late 90's who had violin and were a bit like Kansas called Zello. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 06 2021 at 11:58
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 14:43
When I hear Journey and Boston it makes me want to play Kansas.....not recommending those other two bands btw...Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 15:00
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

When I hear Journey and Boston it makes me want to play Kansas.....not recommending those other two bands btw...Wink

They're good recommendations. I have several albums by all three of those bands you mentioned. You could also try the Canadian band Saga too, especially if you're over fifty. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 19:34
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

They're good recommendations. I have several albums by all three of those bands you mentioned. You could also try the Canadian band Saga too, especially if you're over fifty. Tongue

My guess would be you can enjoy Saga regardless of what age you are. After all if a lot of the kiddies can listen to Rush then why not Saga too? Otherwise I have to wait one more week to listen to Saga because that's when I turn 51. LOL Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 06 2021 at 19:35
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 09:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Boston had some nice rock dynamics at times but in the and was too 'formulaic' for me....Journey was a big disappointment for a band that had Rolie, Schon and Dunbar in the beginning....again made to be top 40 rock as Foreigner was also.
Haquin
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 11:48
This guy pretty much sounds like STYX Wink

New track from Dennis DeYoung

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 12:45
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

This guy pretty much sounds like STYX Wink

New track from Dennis DeYoung

Gee.....what a surprise.

Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - April 24 2021 at 12:45
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 13:24
Bands that are like Styx or Kansas should be consigned to the eighth circle of Hell. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 08:14
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Bands that are like Styx or Kansas should be consigned to the eighth circle of Hell. 

And a sound proofed circle at that with no electrical outlets.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 08:55
Nobody mentioned Magnum yet? Especially their first albums are quite good and I think you will hear some Styx in them...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2021 at 07:53
A band that sounds like Styx or Kansas is a reflection of a reflection of a reflection of a reflection.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2021 at 08:23
Might seem very distant to some but I hear a little Steely Dan in both Kansas and Styx, with SD being a better band than both, of course.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 15:49
Holy moly, that new STYX release ShockedClap
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 23:59

really?
I can dig some classic Styx, but their later day work doesn't do it for me. 
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 06:10
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

really?
I can dig some classic Styx, but their later day work doesn't do it for me. 

Yes, really. 'Crash of the Crown' has many of the traits of classic STYX: great synth work, lots of chorus and great songwriting. If you like their 70's and early 80's output you should be pleased.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>