Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands that are like Styx or Kansas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 07:17
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Holy moly, that new STYX release ShockedClap

really?
I can dig some classic Styx, but their later day work doesn't do it for me. 

Yes, really. 'Crash of the Crown' has many of the traits of classic STYX: great synth work, lots of chorus and great songwriting. If you like their 70's and early 80's output you should be pleased.

I'm gonna listen, just out of curiosity. Big smile
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 07:27
I wrote a pretty beefy review for it ^ hope you find something to enjoy in there. Though I don't always like to admit it, I have a lot of love for Styx in me. As for Kansas, i'm shameless about my love for them. In fact, I will make it known whenever I can LOL If you wanna just sample the new record, I think the best songs are A Monster, Crash of the Crown, Coming Out the Other Side, Common Ground, Our Wonderful Lives, Sound the Alarm and Stream

Edited by dougmcauliffe - June 25 2021 at 07:27
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 10:43
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I wrote a pretty beefy review for it ^ hope you find something to enjoy in there. Though I don't always like to admit it, I have a lot of love for Styx in me. As for Kansas, i'm shameless about my love for them. In fact, I will make it known whenever I can LOL If you wanna just sample the new record, I think the best songs are A Monster, Crash of the Crown, Coming Out the Other Side, Common Ground, Our Wonderful Lives, Sound the Alarm and Stream

Doug:

I read your big review and really enjoyed it, but you never mention what the album's concept is...what are they singing about this time?

P.S.: I loved The Mission (2017)!
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 11:43
^^ Your review makes me indeed curious enough to give that new album a listen. Thanks.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 08:59
For Kansas: Dixie Dregs, Fireballet (first album)
For Styx: maybe Starcastle 

Big vote for the first, but not the second

Recommended Kansas - Masque
Recommended Styx - Equinox

Edited by Boojieboy - September 28 2021 at 09:00
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 09:45
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Very nice review. Styx was one of the first bands I got into as a middle-schooler, the albums from Crystal Ball to Paradise Theater. Lost me with Killroy was Here. I liked the Mission (and a couple of songs from Cyclorama), but going through the first half so far of Crash the Crown, they really hit the mark of taking the past and keeping it fresh after all these years.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 10:07
Crash of the Crown is a fantastic album, and yes it's very retro but with a new sound. We just saw them live last week and they were awesome!! REO Speedwagon was the opener and they killed it also, it was a great show. Kevin Cronin still sounds very good....

koogles View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koogles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2023 at 06:34
Can't believe no one mentioned Prism. Probably the closest to Styx of any band mentioned here. Songs like "Flyin", "See Forever Eyes" and "Take Me Away" are pure 70's Styx.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2023 at 07:33
Originally posted by koogles koogles wrote:

Can't believe no one mentioned Prism. Probably the closest to Styx of any band mentioned here. Songs like "Flyin", "See Forever Eyes" and "Take Me Away" are pure 70's Styx.

Good call! 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2023 at 19:46
I can't believe no one besides me mentioned Evership. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234