17 [27.42%]
2 [3.23%]
12 [19.35%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70's aleniation concept albums
    Posted: October 02 2019 at 07:14

While I wasn't a huge rebel in my teens years (but I was rebellious enough), this was the subject that I thought extremely interesting in my music: albums like Crime Of The Century, Quadrophenia or Bat Out Of Hell or even The Wall and The Lamb (to a lesser extent) were about alienation and inadequacy from the norm and failure to meet society's expectations from us.
COTC and BOOH spoke directly to me, because they had a contemporary context (that could be North American), while Quadrophenia was too typically English and happening in the early 60's to be as immediate to the North Am teenager I was then. It took the movie for me to get the full extent of the storyline, but even then, I was mostly sympathising with the Rockers, rather than the Mods, and I smoked pot (like the hippie I was claiming I was then), and disliked poppers (it wasn't agreeing with my body at all, like speed wasn't either). But despite that, I was rather impressed with this RnR (or RnB in this case) rebel story.

I did have some sympathy for Rael 's rebellion in The Lamb or even Little Minton's rebellious act in TAAB,  but Tommy was a different alien to me, much like Pink in The Wall
What sets BOOH a bit apart from those is that the alienation is accepted by the character, and he's more into conforming and trying to resemble other in his case, avoiding feeling isolated. (at least, that's how I read it).

Edited by Sean Trane - October 02 2019 at 09:58
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 07:19
Wow what a tough poll, going with Supertramp
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 07:26
Tough choice. Went with Quadrophenia...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 07:48
All great albums. Voted for The Wall 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 08:11
Thick as a Brick, followed very closely by The Lamb, and Quadrophenia a little behind. 

Edited by Manuel - October 02 2019 at 08:11
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 08:20
I'm tired of voting for TAAB in all polls where it appears, so here I vote for The Wall. Although I prefer listening to TAAB, The Wall is top as musical realisation of the alienation concept.  

Edited by Lewian - October 02 2019 at 08:21
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 08:37
Tommy is a great selection of songs, which I always found marred by bland production and surprisingly unexciting playing. My favourite version of it is actually from the 1989 tour, with Simon Phillips on drums. Everyone else hates it, though.

NB I think Simon Phillips's playing on the video of this tour is utterly electrifying.  Amazing drummer.

Edited by Braka1 - October 02 2019 at 09:22
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 09:10
Judging by the theme of alienation alone, and not how much I personally like the music, I would vote for Quadrophenia.

My favourite album from the list is the Lamb.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 09:38
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Judging by the theme of alienation alone, and not how much I personally like the music, I would vote for Quadrophenia.

It looks like only you managed to get the essence of this thread (maybe it wasn't so much a good idea to make a poll after all). The idea was to discuss the fate/destiny of the characters

I'll go for Crime, though Quadrophenia's ending is even more drastic.

==============

BTWS, though not prog (or prog-related at best), Bat Out Of Hell is as serious a contender, IMHO

Edited by Sean Trane - October 02 2019 at 09:40
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 09:43
Dig them all. Voted for The Lamb.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 09:46
Between Lamb & Tommy for me. Voted for Lamb
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 13:46
TAAB
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 21:48
The Lamb is about drug addiction??? ? Nah-- I don't think so. Never heard that. Heard more along the line of Wikipedia story description.

The album tells the story of Rael, a half Puerto Rican adolescent living in New York City who experiences several bizarre situations and characters.[22] Gabriel was influenced by the band's last American tour to set the story in New York City, and used the location as a tool to make Rael "more real, more extrovert and violent".[9]He chose to develop a character that is the least likely person to "fall into all this pansy claptrap", and aimed for a story that contrasted between fantasy and character.[12] He explained that as the story progresses, Rael finds that he is not as "butch" as he hoped and his experiences eventually brings out a more romantic side to his personality. The ending to the story is not directly clear as Gabriel deliberately left the ending of the story ambiguous. When asked about it, Gabriel does not declare that Rael dies, though he compared the ending to the buildup of suspense and drama in a film as "you never see what's so terrifying because they leave it up in the air without ... labelling it".[12] Several of the story's occurrences and settings derived from Gabriel's dreams.[33] Collins remarked the entire concept was about split personality.[34] The individual songs also make satirical allusions to mythology, the sexual revolution, advertising, and consumerism.[33] Gabriel felt the songs alone were not enough to detail all of the action in his story, so he wrote the full plot on the album's sleeve.[9]

Edited by twosteves - October 02 2019 at 21:52
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 22:51
For alienation, I think the Wall hits the deepest. The others don't quite get to that same level of despair and psychological struggle.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 00:15
From personal experience The Wall. I felt that Waters understood this perfectly because of his own experience.

Pete Townsend though is even better at this so I could easily have gone for either of the The Who albums.

The others just seem a bit soft to really make an impact emotionally although Lamb definitely has it's moments ( Back In NYC especially) and Bat At Out Of Hell is just an oddity and although the title track is certainly 'classic' the whole thing never really resonated with me. Just too 'operatic' which I associate with being fake.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 01:37
Lamb

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 01:56
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

The Lamb is about drug addiction??? ? Nah-- I don't think so. Never heard that. Heard more along the line of Wikipedia story description.

Well, I remember that a dealer was involved and reading Rael's whole underground trip looking for his brother was a long hallucinatory  drug trip.  A Puerto-rican teen in NY (self-called Nuoricans, if I remember well) had his everyday life on the drug-infested streets back then, most likely hanging out (aerosol kid means doing graffitis) and looking or getting in trouble.

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

From personal experience The Wall. I felt that Waters understood this perfectly because of his own experience. Pete Townsend though is even better at this so I could easily have gone for either of the The Who albums.

The others just seem a bit soft to really make an impact emotionally although Lamb definitely has it's moments ( Back In NYC especially) and Bat At Out Of Hell is just an oddity and although the title track is certainly 'classic' the whole thing never really resonated with me. Just too 'operatic' which I associate with being fake.

BOOH is indeed probably a weaker form of alienation, but it is about that anyways.

But by the time it did hit me (release time), I'd plunged for three years into uncertainties that Crime Of The Century had so well described for me. BOOH really told me that it was alight to be alienated, because most kids/teens were, so I felt "normal" again.  
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 05:30
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I'm tired of voting for TAAB in all polls where it appears, so here I vote for The Wall. Although I prefer listening to TAAB, The Wall is top as musical realisation of the alienation concept.  

+1
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 06:52
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Ditto, except I went with Quad.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 07:23
Hi,

By the time that I heard any of these (Tommy in 1968 or so), I enjoyed them, but in the end, compared to a lot of literature, most of it was over rated and overly impressed with itself kind of material that I did not feel, needed the accolades, and did not deserve it ... 

Tommy was billed for a long time as the first "rock opera" ... I can handle that, but it was hardly a rock opera ... it was mostly just a bunch of songs in 2 albums!

Other than THE WALL I personally do not think a lot of all the others ... and it is weird that TFTO is not listed since that heavy of a spiritual trip is ALWAYS an individual path for everyone, this making it a good candidate for "alienation" without using the word! THE WALL's basic concept and idea had started some 15 years later in PF concerts with sound effects going around your head, and having vignettes and bits and pieces taking place, and eventually these came together into a "story" (second rate one in DSOTM) and eventually a full fledged story off the visuals for THE WALL. That the theme became "alienation" was a bit weird and scary when it had its roots in the WW2 and his parents, thus the term, is not exactly well defined and used in this situation, and THE WALL should not have been in this listing, although the symbol of the wall and its image on stage does indeed create the separation, which for Roger was probably more about protecting the players from the fans ... many of whom invaded their space many times when it should not have happened!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>