Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What's the highest rated album you give 1 star?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's the highest rated album you give 1 star?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the highest rated album you give 1 star?
    Posted: October 06 2019 at 14:19
I give momentary lapse of reason a single star and that sits at 3.06. Not a fan.

I also give Cyclorama and Big Bang Theory by Styx 1 stars but those don't have many ratings, they sit at 3.25 and 3.28 respectively 

Edited by dougmcauliffe - October 06 2019 at 14:30
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 14:56
Trout Mask Replica
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 14:57
I'm not very eager to give one star ratings to prog or prog-related albums. But of the three albums that come to my mind, David Bowie's Lodger is the highest rated with 3.48.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 19:55
That’d be the first Keys to Ascension album (by Yes). I’ve rated 258 albums here, but just eight of those get one star. Meanwhile I rate nine Yes albums at four or five stars. Anyway, Keys 1 has a rating of 4.05 based on 497 reviews! So I guess that makes me quite an outlier. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 20:10
I have not given any one or two star ratings, and even my three star ratings have been worth 4 or 5 stars in terms of my enjoyment.  I have only liked to rate/ review albums that I really like, and very rarely hear albums in full that I don't care for (and I would never want to rate an album before hearing it quite a few times over some time).

EDIT: By the way, if the Shaggs were included in PA, which it most certainly is not, I might give Philosophy of the World two stars, but that wouldn't mean that I don't love the album, I do, and have listened to it many times.

Edited by Logan - October 06 2019 at 22:28
Just a fanboy passin' through.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 20:39
H to He--or Pawn Hearts--if you don't buy into the singers voice its hard to get into it.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 20:46
I have not rated any album 1 star since I can see some merit in almost anything. Saying that, I gave 2 stars to We're Only in it for the Money by Zappa & the Mothers. Currently rated 4.11.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 20:57
I take back what I just said. I did give one star to WOIIFTM. That means I find no merit to the album. Other one star albums for me include Queen's Flash Gordon OST, two albums by Earth, and The Mother's Day Concert by Jon Anderson, but none of those are as highly rated as Zappa's.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 21:07
Out of 110 reviews I only have five 1 star ratings. I thought for sure I would win with Der Mensch-Maschine. But alas it is only a 3.95 overall. Patrick's Keys to Ascension review has me beat.

Not sure of any others above 4 I would give a 1 to. Maybe the one remaining 4+ Tool album that I haven't reviewed. And that's the thing, its pretty rare that I am going to sit and listen to something that causes that much discomfort intently enough to write a review. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 23:07
Seeing that individuals here think H to He, Who Am the Only One and Lodger especially, as well as Trout Mask Replica (I do much prefer Safe as Milk), and We're Only in it for the Money (not that into it, but I still can appreciate it, not that I've spun it enough to have a strong opinion) as one star albums is just a little sad to me.  That said, to each his or her own tastes. For me to rate an album one star, not only would I have to heavily dislike it, I'd have to believe it really bad and lacking significance objectively (no merit whatsoever) .  Also, I would tend to follow the rating guide if rating at PA  "One star: Poor. Only for completionists", to which I would take to mean only for completists of that artist or category. If rating classics by bands/artists with various works, I would want to rate compared to other ones by the artists and compared to others of a similar ilk.  So for instance, if rating H to He, I would compare it against other VdGG albums -- if the singing was an issue to me, I would be more likely to give that a one if it weren't an issue for me on other VdGG albums.  I generally wouldn't rate albums of styles I'm not into either.  I tend to only listen to albums in full that I enjoy (and I had friends with similar tastes and some with very different tastes, and that sort of music would not be in PA), and do feel that some albums need to time to percolate before formally judging them.  I guess with teamwork I listened to some stuff I disliked, but it's been along time that I've bought albums that were bad for my tastes (sometimes I buy used records without much expectation because I like the cover, especially bad covers).  Back in my early getting into Prog days, I did buy some albums that were recommended to me that I found pretty poor, and I did try to be completist with some bands that led to some poor acquisitions.  And when younger I would get exposed to more albums by bands, or kinds of music that I wouldn't normally listen to by friends. The music I most dislike I tend to hear blaring out of muscle cars.

Okay, this a crappy post, and I wasn't going to post it, but will anyway since I took the time to write it out.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 23:19
<snip>
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Not sure of any others above 4 I would give a 1 to. Maybe the one remaining 4+ Tool album that I haven't reviewed. And that's the thing, its pretty rare that I am going to sit and listen to something that causes that much discomfort intently enough to write a review.
Right? A few of my 1-stars are reviews of albums I thought I liked, or maybe I used to like when I was younger. But I hear you! The two Yes albums to which I assigned one star were exceptions: I listened to each many times, hoping something would “click” with me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 23:52
I've given 1 star ratings to about 12 albums including 3 to my favourite band Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Looking through the list , there are some real stinkers but on the grounds of taste I did give 1 star ratings to a couple of reasonably well regarded albums 
Dream Theater - Train Of Thought
Jeff Wayne - War Of The Worlds 

The latter has a PA rating nearly at 4! To me albums with narrative are more or less a complete 'no no' unless you have an option to remove it. The songs are okay but you always get the damn narrator ( ok the legendary actor Richard Burton but that makes no difference to me) just jumping in when I don't want it. I realise I am probably in a minority by feeling this but it is a real opinion. I have no axe to grind with Jeff Wayne! 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 01:36
My only 1 star scoring more than 3 stars is Anthony Phillips - Sides. 3.04
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 03:47
Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth (currently at an undeserving 3.73)

45-years ago I would have given it five stars... I guess you really can't go home again.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 04:12
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

H to He--or Pawn Hearts--if you don't buy into the singers voice its hard to get into it.

Dude, those albums put "KC" to shame
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 05:53
Apparently the highest rated one-star album for me was Yes' Big Generator album at 2.53. I don't seem to have many outliers on the low-end of the rating spectrum.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 07:49
Since I'm not into prog metal, most of the genre gets very little attention from me, so I guess it gets one star as a genre. Also, Neal Morse's "Sola Scritura" gets very low points in my book.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 08:05
Easy: EDGE OF SANITY's Crimson . To my ears, that album's one song is nothing but a continuous ripoff of about 45 other pop and rock artist's riffs, sounds, and themes strung along like some kind of stage review. 

ARENA's two big "hits" (here on PA), Contagion and the other one, also provoke quite a strong reflux impulse. 
Same for RIVERSIDE's Anno Domini High Def and ENSLAVED's Riitiir and I can't even get through a DREAM THEATER album in order to form a rating much less a review.

Edited by BrufordFreak - October 07 2019 at 08:06
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 09:44
I had to look this up, but I have so few one star ratings! Usually when I don't like an album I don't listen to it enough to be able to write a review
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 12:58
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Trout Mask Replica

LOL
That's about how I felt about it when I first heard it in the winter of '69.
Now I have softened up a bit and give it 3 stars....still don't think it's this classic like others believe.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>