Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GlassWorks: The Works of Philip Glass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GlassWorks: The Works of Philip Glass
    Posted: October 07 2019 at 10:15
My all-time favourite classical composer is Philip Glass and this thread is intended as a celebration of his magnificent works, starting with "The Light" (1987) from Symphony No. 4,  "Heroes"

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 19 2020 at 04:02
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 10:33
I posted a thread titled "The Qatsi trilogy" a year ago. Unfortunately, it didn't get any replies.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 11:17
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I posted a thread titled "The Qatsi trilogy" a year ago. Unfortunately, it didn't get any replies.

I love "The Qatsi trilogy"! Thumbs Up It's good to know there's another Philip Glass fan here on ProgArchives. Heart
Here's the entire "Koyaanisqatsi" suite in six parts:-
Part I: Koyaanisqatsi

Part II: Vessels

Part III: Cloudscape

Part IV: Pruit Igoe

Part V: The Grid

Part VI: Prophecies

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 09 2020 at 08:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2019 at 09:34
PHILIP GLASS - Glassworks (1981)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2020 at 08:05
The Photographer (1983)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 23 2022 at 16:57
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 07:36
He was the headline at the Columbia (MD) Arts festival several years back where my wife and I saw him play. His minimalist style was mesmerizing. The music seemed repetitious at first, but after you fell into his hypnotic spell, you could detect a second running melody made by subtle alteration of the repeating pattern. I've probably seen hundreds of artists in concert, but none had the captivating effect he did. Genius.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 07:56
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

He was the headline at the Columbia (MD) Arts festival several years back where my wife and I saw him play. His minimalist style was mesmerizing. The music seemed repetitious at first, but after you fell into his hypnotic spell, you could detect a second running melody made by subtle alteration of the repeating pattern. I've probably seen hundreds of artists in concert, but none had the captivating effect he did. Genius.
Philip Glass' early albums from the 1970's sound very repetitious, but I love his mesmerising soundtrack albums and complete symphonies. I'll post some more of his soundtracks later on this thread if they're still available on YouTube. Three of my particular favourites are:- The Hours; The Illusionist; & Notes on a Scandal, all of which I've seen several times on DVD.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 08:08
A link to the film itself that Glass did the music for....which is a must see film  imho.
I need to get that soundtrack......which could have been in the recent thread on soundtracks.

If only someone could make the Orange Goblin in office  watch the film with his eyes taped open like the dude in Clockwork Orange. Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - July 10 2020 at 08:11
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 09:35
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

A link to the film itself that Glass did the music for....which is a must see film  imho.
I need to get that soundtrack......which could have been in the recent thread on soundtracks.

If only someone could make the Orange Goblin in office  watch the film with his eyes taped open like the dude in Clockwork Orange. Wink

I'd love to have posted the nine-part Koyaanisqatsi movie here, but Parts 3 & 4 were missing on YouTube due to copyright issues.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 12:05
Two Philip Glass soundtracks with a far eastern theme.....

Mishima (1985)

Kundun (1997)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 12 2020 at 12:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 12:30
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I'd love to have posted the nine-part Koyaanisqatsi movie here, but Parts 3 & 4 were missing on YouTube due to copyright issues.

I have the DVD of the movie as well as the soundtrack CD. But to get the full benefit, you need to see it on the big screen, preferably with some psychotropics.  Cool

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 13:27
The two follow-up DVD's in the "Qatsi" trilogy are very good too:- Powaqqatsi (1988) and Naqoyqatsi (2002).

I had to check the spelling on those two films. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 03:25
Songs from Liquid Days (1986)

Akhnaten (1987) - The Opera

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 08:19
DancePieces (1987)

Dance Nos. 1-5 (1988)

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 08:39
I do like Glass, I saw him at Big Ears Festival in '16 as a duo with Laurie Anderson. I say a live performance of  Koyaanisqatsi in Boston last year with the movie running behind the musicians. To be honest I found it too disturbing to stay for the whole show and left after about an hour. It was extremely powerful.

I do like both the Glassworks and Koyaanisqatsi as albums.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 09:50
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I do like Glass, I saw him at Big Ears Festival in '16 as a duo with Laurie Anderson. I say a live performance of  Koyaanisqatsi in Boston last year with the movie running behind the musicians. To be honest I found it too disturbing to stay for the whole show and left after about an hour. It was extremely powerful.

I do like both the Glassworks and Koyaanisqatsi as albums.
Koyaanisqatsi is probably the soundtrack album Philip Glass is best-known for, although "Koyaanisqatsi" is not exactly a  word you hear every day. I think it's from the native American Indian language.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 12:12

The two follow-up DVD's in the "Qatsi" trilogy are very good too:- Powaqqatsi (1988) and Naqoyqatsi (2002).

I had to check the spelling on those two films. Smile

I have the DVD as well as the soundtrack CD of both these films. However, I haven't seen Naqoyqatsi on the big screen.

I also have the DVD of Baraka, a film similar to the Qatsi trilogy, but the music on that film wasn't by Philip Glass.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 12:29

Koyaanisqatsi is probably the soundtrack album Philip Glass is best-known for, although "Koyaanisqatsi" is not exactly a  word you hear every day. I think it's from the native American Indian language.

Koyaanisqatsi is definitely the best-known film of the trilogy. It has even been referenced by The Simpsons at least twice to my knowledge... once even by name, as an Itchy & Scratchy cartoon.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 12:29
Sometimes it seems like Google can read my mind:- I just typed the single letter "n" into the Google search engine and the first entry that came up before I'd even entered the second letter was "Naqoyqatsi" - full movie. Unbelievable! Geek

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 13 2020 at 12:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 13:01

My favourite piece of music from Koyaanisqatsi is Pruit Igoe:

However, the visually most spectacular part of the movie occurs during The Grid. The Grid works quite well with the accompanying visuals, but as a stand-alone piece, it tends to be too repetitious.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>