Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog bands with no lineup changes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog bands with no lineup changes
    Posted: October 07 2019 at 17:43
I had this conversation with my brother via text(but just rock bands in general and not just prog). I'm talking about relatively long lived bands here(ones that had at least five albums) and ones that most of us have at least heard of. 

The only one I can think of is Emerson Lake and Palmer but if you say ELP then it doesn't work. LOL Gentle Giant had one lineup change.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:02
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I had this conversation with my brother via text(but just rock bands in general and not just prog). I'm talking about relatively long lived bands here(ones that had at least five albums) and ones that most of us have at least heard of. 

The only one I can think of is Emerson Lake and Palmer but if you say ELP then it doesn't work. LOL Gentle Giant had one lineup change.

Rush, if you don't count the original drummer (and any of the band changes pre-first album release). Even ELP changed to Emerson, Lake and Powell for a minute in the 80s.

I don't know.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:03
Any band that had only one album LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:09
I was thinking Rush too but they don't really count since they had John Rutsey before Neil Peart. 

Also, it's funny how UK only had two studio albums yet still had lineup changes. With any other genre they would probably qualify. LOL
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:28
^ But Rush was the only intact surviving prog band from the classic era.   Besides, Rutsey died in a bizarre gardening accident.   

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:37
No, he didn't. He died in his sleep from complications from diabetes(one of the reasons he left the band in the first place). This isn't about death of members anyway, just which bands had the fewest(or preferably none)lineup changes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rutsey 

Not sure where you got that gardening accident thing from. LOL 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 07 2019 at 18:39
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:46
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Besides, Rutsey died in a bizarre gardening accident.

That was Toto drummer Jeff Porcaro.* John Rutsey reportedly died in his sleep (heart attack; complications related to diabetes). Rutsey went into bodybuilding after his departure from Rush. For at least a couple decades, the guy was fit.

*Jeff and the other guys in Toto were fond of the nose candy. While it was reported that Jeff had an allergic reaction to a type of herbicide he was spraying, nobody bought the story. There are YT clips of an '80s synth tutorial by Steve Porcaro where the guy's clearly gacked out on the sugar.

Toto's singer Bobby Kimball was even jailed for trying to sell some of the stuff to a plainclothes cop. That's why they had to replace him. Confused

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 19:13
^ I know--  it was a bad Spinal Tap joke.

Edited by Atavachron - October 07 2019 at 19:14
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 19:27
Triumvirat

LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 19:46
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Triumvirat

LOL

Now you know that ain't true! LOL
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 19:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Gentle Giant had one lineup change.

Actually, 4, because they went through a few drummers before settling on John Weathers.

Can't think of any prog bands that had 0 line-up changes. I think Rush gets the award for being the most stable. Tool has also had the same line-up since their 2nd album 25 years ago (although they've only released 4 albums in that time.)

Outside of prog, ZZ Top has had the same 3 members since their first release (they did have other members before that, though).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 20:04
Forgot about the drummers. I only know of Martin Smith and Malcolm Mortimer before John Weathers. I think they only had three drummers total.

Actually, if we can count them as prog Golden Earring had a very stable lineup for most of their career. They had a few extra members but their core has been the same since 70 or so. At the very least Golden Earring deserves a mention. Yes, ZZ Top also for non prog(and longevity).

For modern prog Echolyn has had a very stable lineup with very few personnel changes.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 07 2019 at 20:07
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 20:12
If we're just counting what's on PA i can only think of a few

Muse
Radiohead
Explosions In The Sky
Gojira
Mastodon (unless you count the EPs)
Talking Heads

Of course some of these are merely prog related but goes to show you how few bands stick together unchanged. Even bands with one album go through many changes before getting to that one album

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 20:37
Besides the Beatles, I can only think of Queen, if you consider them prog enough. Many had a classic period line—up, like Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, and so on, but that’s another topic I guess.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 21:36
^ even The Beatles started out with Pete Best on drums although he was gone before any major albums

Queen would count if it weren't for the lame attempt to replaced Freddie with Adam Lambert recently

I would imagine this thread has to do with bands that NEVER had a change from the very beginning til the end but that's just my guess

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 21:58
What is it with drummers.  They drop like flies.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 23:09
^ gardening accidents of course LOL

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 23:40
Prog related.
Kings X, Tabor, Pinnick and Gaskill for all 15 albums.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 02:18
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ even The Beatles started out with Pete Best on drums although he was gone before any major albums

There were other drummers before Pete Best and a number of other members as well - assorted guitarists, bass players and washboard players.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 02:26
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ gardening accidents of course LOL

I've also heard tell of the occasional freak house cleaning event.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>