Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70s to Early 80s Prog Metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 16:16
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ok, I just figured out who it was by finding the band mentioned on a list on rym from our very own Silly Puppy. The band was called Legend and their album(from 1979) was called "from the fjords." Both o's have umlauts though. If SP replies on here then maybe he can provide more information about them.

Other than that maybe Budgie. I'm not overly familiar with them but I know that like Uriah Heep they did have some progressive elements. Like with UH I'm not sure everyone would call them metal though(same thing with Rush actually). I guess you probably already know about Watchtower although they were slightly later. 

Ah, i totally missed this. Legend is a band of mysteries. Part prog, part NWOBHM. I guess they would technically be the closest thing to prog metal except on thing. They didn't exactly mix the two styles. They just played some prog songs and some metal songs so i dunno. If they would've stuck around they coulda beat Watchtower to the game.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 16:20
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Depending on what you call metal (i call 70s proto-metal or hard rock)

Check out this list i made years ago

While I do think most of what came out in the 70's was proto metal or hard rock there was some true heavy metal in my opinion such as Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Motorhead and maybe also Scorpions, Budgie, UFO and Thin Lizzy depending on your definition. Also, the NY based band Riot released actual heavy metal albums before the end of the 70's as did a few others. Most NWOBHM albums were released in 80 or later though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 16:26
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

And Rush is not prog metal either, but was a big influence on the genre though. 

Yes, Rush was not a prog metal band but there are pieces of their music from Caress of Steel through Hemispheres that could be perhaps proto-prog metal, thus the influence on the genre.  

Absolutely. In particular I would say By Tor and the Snowdog,Necromancer, 2112 suite, A farewell to Kings(song), Hemispheres(side long track) and maybe Jacob's Ladder, Natural Science and Camera Eye. The shorter tracks not so much except YYZ.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 16:52
I don't know about bands, but Machine Messiah Prog Metal in my head.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 11:37
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Rainbow nah , they were Deep Purple Mark II

Still sounds like proto-prog metal. Rising and LLRnR don't sound like Purple.

Maiden were the missing link. Phantom Of The Opera was the start of something glorious although they didn't fully go in this direction until Somewhere In Time/ Seventh Son when they added guitar synths to create a bit of atmosphere.

That's why I didn't mention them. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 15:00

Thanks, SP, that was excellent! 

I was even thinking about Lucifer's Friend before I saw your list!  Clap
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 18:44

While I do think most of what came out in the 70's was proto metal or hard rock there was some true heavy metal in my opinion such as Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Motorhead and maybe also Scorpions, Budgie, UFO and Thin Lizzy depending on your definition. Also, the NY based band Riot released actual heavy metal albums before the end of the 70's as did a few others. Most NWOBHM albums were released in 80 or later though.

Yeah, i'm not sure where hard rock officially becomes metal. I guess i would call Black Sabbath early metal. 70s Judas Priest, Scorpions, Motorhead are probably on the metal side of the equation. Thin Lizzy seems hard rock to me. I guess the dividing line in the late 70s is the attitude and use of guitar soloing. There's no clear answer IMHO

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 22:17

Yeah, i'm not sure where hard rock officially becomes metal. I guess i would call Black Sabbath early metal. 70s Judas Priest, Scorpions, Motorhead are probably on the metal side of the equation. Thin Lizzy seems hard rock to me. I guess the dividing line in the late 70s is the attitude and use of guitar soloing. There's no clear answer IMHO

As a practicing guitarist for the past, oh, 50+ years, I've always differentiated Hard Rock from Metal in these terms: 

a) Hard Rock seems to be much more blues-based, whereas Metal, although having some roots in blues scales, branches out into other scales and classical music modes.  Compare Led Zeppelin to Black Sabbath for example.  Jimmy Page has said that Led Zep was hard rock, not heavy metal, and I use this as my baseline.

b)  Metal uses much more robust guitar distortion, often with fuzz-tone effects vs. hard rock, which employs the sweeter-sound overdriven valve amp sound.  Bob Fripp's use of fuzz-tone is classic metal!  

c) Hard Rock tends to be a bit more romantic in lyrics, whereas Metal is more violent/apocalyptic/grounded in dark imagery. 

Other than that, many bands have crossed over a bit...however, I don't generally find much true overlap between true hard-rock bands and heavy metal actors.  I love both!  

Edited by cstack3 - October 09 2019 at 22:18
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 22:46
I consider some Led Zeppelin songs especially "dazed and confused" and "communication breakdown"(and maybe a few others) to be true metal but I agree that for the most part they were hard rock. You could say the same about Queen who had some metal songs but over all were probably closer to hard rock. Black Sabbath were probably the first true metal band. Also, I'm a big advocate of the term proto metal. I think there was some grey area with some of the earlier bands as far as being hard rock vs metal so I prefer to use the term proto metal(or even heavy rock). The aforementioned Led Zeppelin would qualify but also Deep Purple, Uriah Heep and others.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2019 at 07:23
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

As a practicing guitarist for the past, oh, 50+ years, I've always differentiated Hard Rock from Metal in these terms: 

a) Hard Rock seems to be much more blues-based, whereas Metal, although having some roots in blues scales, branches out into other scales and classical music modes.  Compare Led Zeppelin to Black Sabbath for example.  Jimmy Page has said that Led Zep was hard rock, not heavy metal, and I use this as my baseline.

b)  Metal uses much more robust guitar distortion, often with fuzz-tone effects vs. hard rock, which employs the sweeter-sound overdriven valve amp sound.  Bob Fripp's use of fuzz-tone is classic metal!  

c) Hard Rock tends to be a bit more romantic in lyrics, whereas Metal is more violent/apocalyptic/grounded in dark imagery. 

Other than that, many bands have crossed over a bit...however, I don't generally find much true overlap between true hard-rock bands and heavy metal actors.  I love both!  

Not a bad distinction. Still though there are plenty of bands that crossed over especially in the 70s. I love both as well. For example check out what RYM considers top heavy metal albums for the 70s. Almost every one is double tagged as hard rock, some glam rock and some even prog

https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=1970s&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=heavy+metal&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2019 at 07:32
I think another element which marked the departure of Heavy Metal from Hard Rock was speed. Of course not in all the songs, but in average, Heavy Metal has faster guitar licks and frequently double kick-drum rhythm bases.
That's why Queen's song Stone Cold Crazy is frequently cited as proto-Metal, because it was very fast. Judas Priest is also a good example, with many of their songs with a faster tempo than what Purple or Rainbow had been doing until then. Sabbath were a bit in between.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2019 at 13:31
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I think another element which marked the departure of Heavy Metal from Hard Rock was speed. Of course not in all the songs, but in average, Heavy Metal has faster guitar licks and frequently double kick-drum rhythm bases.
That's why Queen's song Stone Cold Crazy is frequently cited as proto-Metal, because it was very fast. Judas Priest is also a good example, with many of their songs with a faster tempo than what Purple or Rainbow had been doing until then. Sabbath were a bit in between.

Deep Purple often played at break neck speed though. Speed King and Fireball being obvious examples.

Purple were always a bit of a strange one because of Jon Lord. Stuff like Child In Time and the live version of Space Truckin' was out and out prog. Jon Lord could do everything Keith Emerson could do but just didn't want to most of the time!

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2019 at 14:49

Deep Purple often played at break neck speed though. Speed King and Fireball being obvious examples.
Yes I agree Thumbs Up
tribalfusions View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 13:27
A lot of good mentions here and. I have to chime in on the discussion about Rainbow with Dio. For me that's the missing link with way more keyboard and non-pentatonic riffing (quite different from Purple) and it influenced so many prog metal and power metal bands. Those early Rainbow albums are some of my favorite music

Stargazer, Tarot Woman, Gates of Babylon or even the delicate Rainbow Eyes and Temple of the King.

Along with Uli Jon Roth's playing in the Scorpions and his early Electric Sun work, early Michael Schenker Group, Rush and Priest on Sad Wings of Destiny you have a lot of the elements of prog metal to which of course we can add all the other prog and metal classics we all know as well as some fusion like Mahavishnu, Holdsworth and Al Di Meola etc which impacted guitarists in particular across many genres.

Edited by tribalfusions - November 03 2019 at 13:30
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 14:10
Originally posted by tribalfusions tribalfusions wrote:

A lot of good mentions here and. I have to chime in on the discussion about Rainbow with Dio. For me that's the missing link with way more keyboard and non-pentatonic riffing (quite different from Purple) and it influenced so many prog metal and power metal bands. Those early Rainbow albums are some of my favorite music

Stargazer, Tarot Woman, Gates of Babylon or even the delicate Rainbow Eyes and Temple of the King.

Along with Uli Jon Roth's playing in the Scorpions and his early Electric Sun work, early Michael Schenker Group, Rush and Priest on Sad Wings of Destiny you have a lot of the elements of prog metal to which of course we can add all the other prog and metal classics we all know as well as some fusion like Mahavishnu, Holdsworth and Al Di Meola etc which impacted guitarists in particular across many genres.

Great post. As you no doubt saw, my "Exhibit A" is Rainbow's Rising
tribalfusions View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 14:46
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by tribalfusions tribalfusions wrote:

Great post. As you no doubt saw, my "Exhibit A" is Rainbow's Rising

Thanks and yes I did indeed see your post and thoroughly agree. I'd also point to cover versions of Dio era Rainbow from Sons of Apollo and Dream Theater.

By the way, have you heard the recent Swedish band Avatarium? They have a fabullous female singer and capture some of that early Rainbow vibe as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12