Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70s to Early 80s Prog Metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iacób Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70s to Early 80s Prog Metal?
    Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:03
I'm wondering if are there any NWOBHM bands from the '70s to '83 that could be considered Prog Metal or more likely Proto Prog Metal.

I edited this post at 8:37pm because I had forgot to mention that I also wanted to know if any of these bands had keyboards, synths, or
hammond organs.

Edited this at 10:53am to clarify that I was looking for Metal bands(I don't consider bands like Rush, Led Zeppelin, or even Black Sabbath as metal) that had some or all characteristics of Prog Metal, and I mentioned 70s bands just in case of any obscure bands that meet the criteria.

Edited by Iacób - October 08 2019 at 08:54
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:06
Not sure about NWOBHM but I remember reading about some band that put out an album in 1979 that sort of fits that description. I don't remember their name but I'll see if I can figure out who it was(through some searching online)and get back to you. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 07 2019 at 18:07
Iacób View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iacób Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:11
Thanks for the reply. I'm not necessarily looking for British bands, but bands that mix Prog with a Judas Priest/NWOBHM like sound.

Edited by Iacób - October 07 2019 at 18:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:22
Ok, I just figured out who it was by finding the band mentioned on a list on rym from our very own Silly Puppy. The band was called Legend and their album(from 1979) was called "from the fjords." Both o's have umlauts though. If SP replies on here then maybe he can provide more information about them.

Other than that maybe Budgie. I'm not overly familiar with them but I know that like Uriah Heep they did have some progressive elements. Like with UH I'm not sure everyone would call them metal though(same thing with Rush actually). I guess you probably already know about Watchtower although they were slightly later. 
Iacób View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iacób Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:30
Thanks for the reply, I'll go check them out now.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:31
It should be you youtube.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 18:56
Originally posted by Iacób Iacób wrote:

I'm wondering if are there any NWOBHM bands from the '70s to '83 that could be considered Prog Metal or more likely Proto Prog Metal.

I edited this post at 8:37pm because I had forgot to mention that I also wanted to know if any of these bands had keyboards, synths, or hammond organs.

Exhibit A: RAINBOW

"Tarot Woman" from Rainbow Rising (1976). Tony Carey on MiniMoog!

Iacób View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iacób Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 19:05
I love that album.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 20:22
None until you get to the 80s. I assume you're talking about completely developed prog metal.

The 80s saw the debut of the prog metal with Watchtower in 1984

Popular bands that have been considered prog metal are Crimson Glory, Queensryche, Aslan aka Psychotic Waltz, Mekong Delta and Fates Warning

Obscurities that have been considered prog metal include Abel, Ponce Pilate, Siren, Assailant, Slauter Xstroyes, Sacred Blade, Majesty (later known as Dream Theater), Juggernaut, Adramelch, Calhoun Conquer, Mind Over Four and Voivod although they weren't progressive yet

There are more obscurities and many borderline prog bands like Iron Maiden, Cacophany etc

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 00:05
Rainbow nah , they were Deep Purple Mark II

Maiden were the missing link. Phantom Of The Opera was the start of something glorious although they didn't fully go in this direction until Somewhere In Time/ Seventh Son when they added guitar synths to create a bit of atmosphere.

NWOBH originally really sprung from the new wave explosion and bands like Motorhead were more allied to that than to doing anything 'prog' related imo.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 00:07
Would Captain Beyond be considered early prog metal?

BTW, Happy Birthday to drummer Bobby Caldwell, who is still keeping the CB flame alive!

RIP Rhino and Lee Dorman.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 00:19
this:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 00:19
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

No, heavy prog is good enough.
And Rush is not prog metal either, but was a big influence on the genre though.

I think it's around mid 80s to late 80s that one can talk about progressive metal - like it's been said before, Watchtower, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Crimson Glory and I add Savatage, Heir Apparent. US Power in general could be adventurous at times.

Iron Maiden deserve a mention as being influential, they deserve the prog-related category. Big smile (as does Metallica).

Edited by Cristi - October 08 2019 at 07:02
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 06:57
Depending on what you call metal (i call 70s proto-metal or hard rock)

Check out this list i made years ago

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 07:31
Originally posted by Iacób Iacób wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I'm not necessarily looking for British bands, but bands that mix Prog with a Judas Priest/NWOBHM like sound.

I suppose the first incarnation of The Michael Schenker Group ticked a few of those boxes.

MSG - Into the Arena

Edited by Blacksword - October 08 2019 at 07:32
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 07:36
You may like Magnum too, if you haven't already heard them. I was never really a fan, but they certainly sat somewhere between hard rock, metal and prog...
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 07:59
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

BTW, Happy Birthday to drummer Bobby Caldwell, who is still keeping the CB flame alive!

RIP Rhino and Lee Dorman.

Listened to their first album again just the other day after not hearing it for years. Still sounds great. 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 08:03
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

And Rush is not prog metal either, but was a big influence on the genre though. 

Yes, Rush was not a prog metal band but there are pieces of their music from Caress of Steel through Hemispheres that could be perhaps proto-prog metal, thus the influence on the genre.  
Iacób View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iacób Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 13:20
I was just listening to the band Saracen's first album Heroes Saints and Fools from 1981, I'm not quite sure whether it's Prog Metal, Proto Prog Metal, or it's just NWOBHM with keyboards and some long songs, if any of you want to try it, the full album's on Youtube. It's a pretty good album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 15:30
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Depending on what you call metal (i call 70s proto-metal or hard rock)

Check out this list i made years ago

Yeah, I name dropped you earlier but I guess you missed it.Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>