Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Prog-Folk Artist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: Who's your favourite Prog-Folk artist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.17%]
3 [6.52%]
1 [2.17%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.52%]
25 [54.35%]
1 [2.17%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
5 [10.87%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 13:45
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I do have a Faun album which I liked very much, though I still have to get a bit more from them. But I like Corvus Corax even better.

I listened to Faun for the first time tonight after BrufordFreak mentioned them earlier in this thread. I like them too, even though they sing in their native German language. Smile 

I don't see why singing in german should be a problem. I actually usually like when bands sing in their own native language (even if I don't understand the lyrics)... it makes them more interesting to me, and I feel they keep some closer identity to themselves (particularly with the italian bands). So how about Corvus Corax? you might just as well check them out too. The one I have (and love) from them is Gimlie, but there should be some more classic albums from them.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 13:48
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

My beloved Horslips...yes, as mentioned, they are missing from this list. Although they went from prog-folk to new wave in 1977; their evolution to me was as captivating as The Beatles transformation...probably a stretch there, but to me they were the "ant's pants".

I did check out a bit of Horslips a while ago because of them being mentioned in the forum, and I did like them very much. However, when I tried to check out albums to buy from them, it seems they are not easily available, or very expensive.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 13:49

My beloved Horslips...yes, as mentioned, they are missing from this list. Although they went from prog-folk to new wave in 1977; their evolution to me was as captivating as The Beatles transformation...probably a stretch there, but to me they were the "ant's pants".

Don't worry, I'll be sure to include Horslips in my next Folk-related poll, as well as including many of the other great bands mentioned in this thread. Smile

Jethro Tull are the clear winners in this poll, as expected, so I'll deliberately exclude them from the next poll to give the other Folk-related bands a chance of winning. Smile 

Couldn't Focus actually fit? They do have some very folky moments, though in other songs they don't really have much of it in them (but so is the case with Jethro Tull).
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 14:17

Good call. The Tain and Book of Invasions are among the best of the genre. Although much more mainstream, Aliens is also an excellent album.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 14:30
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Don't worry, I'll be sure to include Horslips in my next Folk-related poll, as well as including many of the other great bands mentioned in this thread. Smile

Jethro Tull are the clear winners in this poll, as expected, so I'll deliberately exclude them from the next poll to give the other Folk-related bands a chance of winning. Smile 

Couldn't Focus actually fit? They do have some very folky moments, though in other songs they don't really have much of it in them (but so is the case with Jethro Tull).

Focus will be one of the 25 bands featured in my upcoming classic Progressive Rock poll. Smile
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 14:44
Lol no surprise here eh??
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2019 at 10:43
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Lol no surprise here eh??

Yep! It's a predictably clear win for Jethro Tull with well over 50% of the vote - a bit like Brexit. Wink
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 11:34
Tull 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345