Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First and last Genesis albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [36.36%]
12 [27.27%]
2 [4.55%]
1 [2.27%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [29.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 02:08
the debut
I do like a few songs on Calling All Stations.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 02:47
Neither
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 06:02
The first is one of the few Genesis things that I quite like.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 08:29
for me Genesis didn't start to soar and become one of the best bands in the world until Steve and Phil came along---and CAS was a huge ego move on the part of Tony and Mike on so many levels---their commercial success and money came from Phil---the logical thing for them to do was bring back Steve and turn away from pop music---and make an interesting album but Mike in particular really likes popular success--still I'd vote for CAS even though it rarely is interesting for me.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 10:08
There seems to be a bit of bashing over these albums. As lame as they might be they are still better than the Fugitive by Tony Banks and Acting Very Strange by Mike Rutherford. I'm sure some will disagree with that but if any albums that are Genesis related flat out suck it's those two. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 13 2019 at 10:09
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 11:04
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Calling All Stations. Neither of those two albums should be released under the Genesis moniker (in fact FG2R was not), but CAS was the better album. Not quite Genesis: the vocals sound too unfamiliar for a long time Genesis fan. Nevertheless Ray is a good singer.

What name was it released under then?

"From Genesis To Revelation" was released under the band name "Revelation" in the United States to prevent confusion, because there was already a band with the name "Genesis" in the USA at the time.

As far as I knew, it was released as an album by a nameless band. There was a USA-based band named Genesis at the time indeed, but the name problem was solved when the American Genesis disbanded soon after.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 11:26
This poll is like the scene in Blood Diamond where the goon squad comes to the village to collect slave labor and the enforcer with the axe asks the guy with his arm forcibly extended, "Long sleeve?, or short sleeve?".

Edited by Tapfret - October 13 2019 at 11:28
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 14:16
Neither! Both albums are not very good, even though there are a few good songs on both.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 01:07
FGTR.

CAS is rubbish. I also don't regard it as a Genesis album.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 01:18
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

FGTR.

Me neither. I've listened to "Calling All Stations" and it doesn't even sound like Genesis to me. It's a very disappointing final album. Confused
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 01:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

FGTR.

Me neither. I've listened to "Calling All Stations" and it doesn't even sound like Genesis to me. It's a very disappointing final album. Confused

Someone on PA suggested recently that Frank Dunnery of It Bites would have made a good replacement for Collins on vocals. That would have been an interesting project, and if they had also stuck Chester Thompson on drums, I would have been more supportive of calling it a Genesis project.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 19:19
I actually would like to hear an album that was recorded in between FGTR and Trespass. It could have been recorded in October of 1969. Then the next day the band all heard In the Court of the Crimson King for the first time. Lol. To me that would be very interesting. I know that no such recording exists but that would be really cool if it did. I know there were some demos of stuff that was never released and early demo versions of some stuff that was recorded around February of 1970 so I guess that's something. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 14 2019 at 19:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12