Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Britannia - Album Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 95>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 06:25
^ You sound like a Russian spy who's passing coded messages. Smile
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 14:03
I'm a washing machine completely filled with peas. I smell like a cookie.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 14:05
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I'm a washing machine completely filled with peas. I smell like a cookie.

If you say so. I'll take your word for it. Smile

Do any of these cryptic messages actually mean anything because I don't know anyone here who's managed to figure them out yet?

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 03 2020 at 16:31
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:09
Thanks to the moon, your stomach is a herd of radiators. That's my pancake in the sky.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 07:18
Just a quick update to let everyone know that the first A-Z selection of Prog Britannia YouTube artists and  albums is now done and dusted, with completed album playlists (in brackets).

Jon Anderson (21)
Barclay James Harvest (26)
Camel (18)
Deep Purple (29)
Electric Light Orchestra (20)
Fruupp (4)
David Gilmour (9)
Annie Haslam (10)
Illusion (4)
Jade Warrior (14)
King Crimson (14)
Jon Lord (14)
The Moody Blues (20)
Nektar (17)
Mike Oldfield (29)
Pink Floyd (18)
Queen (26)
Renaissance (21)
Spooky Tooth (10)
Traffic (12)
Uriah Heep (35)
Van der Graaf Generator (16)
Roger Waters (10)
Yes (35)
Zzebra (3)

Total album playlists = 435

Here's an A-Z preview of the artists coming up in Prog Britannia 2, which has a definite Canterbury Scene theme, with no less than seven artists from that particular genre. Smile

The Alan Parsons Project (13)
Kate Bush (13)
Caravan (17)
Dead Can Dance (11)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer (20)
Fleetwood Mac (27)
Genesis (27)
Steve Hillage (9)
If (11)
Jon & Vangelis (4)
Khan (1)
Led Zeppelin (13)
Man (20)
National Health (4)
Sally Oldfield (17)
Procol Harum (18)
Quiet Sun (1)
Rare Bird (5)
Soft Machine (14)
Robin Trower (33)
U.K. (4)
Velvet Opera (Elmer Gantry's) (2)
Rick Wakeman (107)

Total album playlists = 391

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 15 2021 at 06:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:34
Having just finished adding the last of Rick Wakeman's 107 albums to my YouTube playlists today, it's time to finally make a start on Prog Britannia Three, so here's a quick A-Z preview of the artists coming up in PB3, which you'll notice has both a Moody Blues theme and a Curved Air theme this time around. Smile

Brian Auger (36)
Bill Bruford (21)
Curved Air (18)
Dire Straits (14)
The Enid (43)
Fantasy (3)
The Graeme Edge Band (2)
Justin Hayward (7)
I.Q. (19)
Jethro Tull (35)
Sonja Kristina (4)
John Lodge (3)
Francis Monkman (9)
Nucleus (17)
Oceansize (4)
Mike Pinder (2)
Quatermass (2)
Roxy Music (13)
Supertramp (15)
Ray Thomas (2)
UFO (32)
Visitor 2035 (2)
Darryl Way's Wolf / Darryl Way (9)

Total album playlists = 312

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 31 2021 at 01:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 06:10
Album Review #133:- 5 stars THE PARLOUR BAND have the unusual distinction of being from the Channel Island of Jersey near the French coast, which technically makes them a British band, even though they're not from Great Britain or the United Kingdom. The Parlour Band had a brief lunchtime in the spotlight with just one rare album to their name: "Is a Friend?" (1972), but they weren't about to hang up their instruments just yet, because they changed their name firstly to "A Band Called O", and then again to "The O Band" after moving to Leicester in the English Midlands. They recorded four more albums there in the mid-1970's, before the band finally went their separate ways in 1977.

These Jersey boys really know how to Rock!! The album opens in barnstorming style with the rip-roaring Jazz-Rock number "Forgotten Dreams". There's no chance of sleeping through this song though. It's a Hammond organ driven blast from the past (with shades of Brian Auger) that barrels along relentlessly for nearly three incredible minutes. The peaceful island of Bergerac and Beaujolais and Jersey cows will never be the same again. Onto Song No. 2 now and we're about to meet the "Pretty Haired Girl", a bright and bubbly Pop concoction about a girl who's sweet and nice, which sounds as warm and refreshing as a glass of pink champagne on ice. You can take comfort in the next lovely song too because it's "Springs' Sweet Comfort", a dreamy psychedelic flowers-in-your-hair number that's just as gently laid-back as the song title implies. You can almost smell the aromatic incense wafting over you in a purple haze of smoke. This song's as psychedelic as an explosion at a paint factory. After that dreamy song, it's time now to wake up and smell the coffee for "Early Morning Eyes", a lively jingly-jangly guitar number that's very reminiscent of the high- flying Byrds, and very good it is too. You can Turn Turn Turn and shake your Tambourine along to this danceable early morning wake-up call, or if you're not feeling that energetic, you can simply tap your feet along to the beat. It's all aboard the train now for "Follow Me", another catchy upbeat song to close out Side One, where the singer repeatedly urges us all to follow him around the mountain, until he finally runs out of steam.

And now we arrive at the big production number and the highlight of the album so far: "Evening". This gorgeous song features heavenly harmonies to die for, dynamic power chords and soaring vocals backed up by the tremendous sound of the Hammond organ. In fact, it's everything you could wish for in the best of Prog-Rock and had the potential to be a huge hit, if only... Sadly, the song was never released as a single, so it wasn't even a hit in Jersey, never mind the rest of the world. Anyway, don't be sad, because as Evening draws to a close it's time for some midnight romance with "Don't Be Sad". It's a gently lilting Folk refrain, so just lie back and relax and let this beautifully-crafted mellow ballad carry you away on a sea of blissful sweet dreams. This very impressive album continues with "Little Goldie", a warm- hearted song that sounds as sweet as honey and features some simply sublime guitar vibes. The penultimate song is an uplifting salute "To Happiness", when you're already halfway to happiness if you're lucky enough to have this wonderful long-lost album in your treasured prog collection. And finally, "Home" is where the prog is for an epic 3- piece suite to close the album. This sweeping seven-and-a-half minute long masterpiece is very reminiscent of The Beatles and makes a suitably fitting tribute to a marvellous album.

The Parlour Band's superb one-off album Is A Friend that deserves a warm welcome in any Prog-Rock fan's home.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 21 2021 at 11:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2021 at 06:08
Just an update to say Prog Britannia Three is now complete (see above), so here's a Vivid Glimpse (with a Genesis theme) of who's coming up in Prog Britannia Four:-

Ian Anderson
Tony Banks
Eric Clapton
Geoff Downes
England
Family
Peter Gabriel
Steve Hackett
Iona
Elton John
Karnataka 
Lone Star
Mostly Autumn
North Sea Radio Orchestra
Odin
Anthony Phillips
Qango
Mike Rutherford
Strawbs
The Tangent
U2
Vivid Glimpse
John Wetton

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 31 2021 at 01:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 03:37
Latest update:- I can't even access my new Prog Britannia Four channel at the moment, as YouTube are requesting a mobile phone number as confirmation when I've never even owned a mobile phone in my entire life! Cry Unhappy Thumbs Down Disapprove Ouch
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 09:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Latest update:- I can't even access my new Prog Britannia Four channel at the moment, as YouTube are requesting a mobile phone number as confirmation when I've never even owned a mobile phone in my entire life! Cry Unhappy Thumbs Down Disapprove Ouch

Can you e-mail them to fix the problem? 
The mobile phone thing is a pain in the ass...more and more various services and apps are requesting this for access. My wife and I don't have a mobile/smart phone and haven't for almost 4 years.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 09:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The mobile phone thing is a pain in the ass...more and more various services and apps are requesting this for access. My wife and I don't have a mobile/smart phone and haven't for almost 4 years.
I tried using a dodgy Albanian phone number from the internet but that didn't work (not surprisingly), so I'm heading down to see my friends at my local computer store tomorrow afternoon to see if they can regain access for me using one of their mobile phones. Ermm

What's really frustrating though, is every time I go on YouTube now, I keep seeing pop-up messages saying "Sign in to YouTube". I would sign in if I could do, but I can't at the moment. Confused
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 13:02

I tried using a dodgy Albanian phone number from the internet but that didn't work (not surprisingly), so I'm heading down to see my friends at my local computer store tomorrow afternoon to see if they can regain access for me using one of their mobile phones. Ermm

What's really frustrating though, is every time I go on YouTube now, I keep seeing pop-up messages saying "Sign in to YouTube". I would sign in if I could do, but I can't at the moment. Confused
You can sign in with an e-mail addy and password.....you don't have to have a mobile no.,,at least I don't think so.

Edited by dr wu23 - March 24 2021 at 13:04
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 13:15

You can sign in with an e-mail addy and password.....you don't have to have a mobile no.,,at least I don't think so.
Apparently, you now need a mobile phone number to sign in to YouTube due to the new Data Protection Laws. You used to be able to sign into YouTube with just an e-mail address and password, but not any more. They always ask for your mobile phone number now. There's no way around it, so I'll have to wait and see if I can sign into YouTube tomorrow using a borrowed mobile phone down at my local computer store. 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 24 2021 at 13:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 13:29
I feel the same frustration with YouTube as this guy who posted the following unanswered message on Google Support. I've edited out the strong language..... 

"I'm sorry but this is absolutely Censored ridiculous!"

"I don't have a mobile BECAUSE I DON'T NEED ONE. I DON'T WANT ONE. I WILL NEVER HAVE ONE!"

"So how do I 'verify' my Youtube account (and why the Censored do I have to do such a thing?!?!?!?!?!)"

"NO ONE EVER ASKS FOR A MOBILE NUMBER. And if I had one, I certainly wouldn't give it to an internet based corporation! And equally while everyone I know has one, I'm not going to ask them to submit their personal information to YouTube. YouTube, YOU WILL NEVER know who I am, so stop trying."

"So how do I get the Youtube channel actually working. If 'privacy' is so important to YouTube (it's not, clearly!) then why ask for personal information such as a mobile number!?!?!"

"I expect no reply. I expect no help with this. YouTube is a typical modern day corporation that's just desperate to get hold of user information to make money out of ripping off other corporations and businesses with adverts that NO ONE cares about, and I suspect NO ONE ever watches."
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 13:33
^ I agree with him,,,,all of these online orgs want your info so they can sell it or advertise to you.
More and more places want your cellphone no....but some of us don't want a cellphone.
If I were you I'd get a cheap burner phone and no. so u can connect to boob toob.

Also many web sites also won;t let you read/visit them unless you sign in with an e-mail ,phone, or google or you tube acct. The days of privacy and being left alone are long gone.

Edited by dr wu23 - March 24 2021 at 13:35
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2021 at 13:41

^ I agree with him,,,,all of these online orgs want your info so they can sell it or advertise to you.
More and more places want your cellphone no....but some of us don't want a cellphone.
If I were you I'd get a cheap burner phone and no. so u can connect to boob toob.

Also many web sites also won;t let you read/visit them unless you sign in with an e-mail ,phone, or google or you tube acct. The days of privacy and being left alone are long gone.
That's excellent advice, because my friends down at the computer store are planning to use a cheap burner phone to sign me into YouTube tomorrow, then I can still watch Boob Toob without anyone knowing who I am. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 08:56
Finally, after two frustrating weeks of trying to regain access to my new Prog Britannia Four channel using a dodgy assortment of Albanian mobile numbers from the internet, I've managed to regain access again today using a good old-fashioned British number on a borrowed, untraceable burner phone, so I can now get back to adding the remainder of Ian Anderson's albums. Inevitably, I won't have so much time available now for blogging, but maybe that's not such a bad thing, as I'll have more time to watch Boob Toob. Geek

Prog Britannia Four:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC69lPIRlvGcrCu2nRcnX0rg/playlists

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 30 2021 at 08:56
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 15:10

Great song.  Cringeworthy godawful video.

Edited by Braka1 - May 21 2021 at 15:15

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 15:23
^ "The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria" features Joe Cerisano on lead vocals, who's sometimes been referred to as "the best rock singer in the world who no one's ever heard of.  Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 21 2021 at 15:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 02:47
ProgArchives A-Z of British Prog 1967-1980 (Part 1: A)

Brian Auger - Attention

Brian Auger & Julie Driscoll - Open

Brian Auger & the Trinity - Definitely What 

Andromeda - Andromeda 
Arcadium - Breathe Awhile 
Neil Ardley, Ian Carr & Don Rendell - Greek Variations
Arzachel - Arzachel 
Audience - Audience 
Brian Auger & Julie Driscoll - Jules and Brian
Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity - Streetnoise
Axe - Music
Kevin Ayers - Joy of a Toy