Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DVDs with 5.1 Surround option

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DVDs with 5.1 Surround option
    Posted: October 14 2019 at 12:53
I have a number of DVDs with mixes of the album in 5.1 surround sound but when I put these in the DVD player, there is no 5.1 option on the main menu.
The one I've found that works are Talking Heads - More Songs amd Opeth - Ghost Reveries.
The ones that don't work so far include Yes - TFTO and Relayer and King Crimons - Starless and Bible Black.
The software I'm using is CyberLink PowerDVD.

Anyone know what might be the problem?

PS - I've checked everything I can think of and see in Sound Settings that might cause this.

Edited by chopper - October 14 2019 at 13:01
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 13:17
OK I think I've sussed it. It seems to be a mixture of me not fully understand how the menu options work and the fact that I get no sound if I select DTS Surround Sound.

Dolby Surround Sound works ok.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 13:54
The remote on your DVD player should have a button to select audio or audio channel. Sometimes its "language" as different language dubs are carried on different channels. As you cycle through the options you should see a display on the corner of your screen that will say "English 5.1" or "English DTS" and so on. If you are connected by a HDMI or digital optical cable, the receiver should switch to the appropriate option automatically.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 15:37
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I have a number of DVDs with mixes of the album in 5.1 surround sound but when I put these in the DVD player, there is no 5.1 option on the main menu.
The one I've found that works are Talking Heads - More Songs amd Opeth - Ghost Reveries.
The ones that don't work so far include Yes - TFTO and Relayer and King Crimons - Starless and Bible Black.

PS - I've checked everything I can think of and see in Sound Settings that might cause this.

What are you're talking about - DVD-Video or DVD-Audio?
If the latter, in case of "pure DVD-Audio" discs your player has to support DVD-Audio format. If it doesn't 5.1 mixes are unavailable.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 06:54
^Perhaps that's true of other region codes/formats. All of the albums that I have with included 5.1 mix, and that's quite a few, have video that goes with the audio, even if it is just a static screen.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 07:01
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

What are you're talking about - DVD-Video or DVD-Audio?
If the latter, in case of "pure DVD-Audio" discs your player has to support DVD-Audio format. If it doesn't 5.1 mixes are unavailable.
Some are DVD-A (e.g. the Talking Heads one) but Relayer says both Audio and Video. The problem I have now is that Relayer only has DTS 5.1 and my PC will play them but no sound comes out. It's quite happy playing Dolby 5.1. Maybe I'm just missing a codec but I couldn't find anything on Google.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 09:46
Ah, I missed the part where you are using your PC.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 15:43

The problem I have now is that Relayer only has DTS 5.1 and my PC will play them but no sound comes out. It's quite happy playing Dolby 5.1. Maybe I'm just missing a codec but I couldn't find anything on Google. 
I think you're right, you need DTS 5.1 codec (decoder).
It's like in case of hardware DVD player, if you choose DTS 5.1 option, but the player doesn't support it, no multichannel sound from its output.

Edited by NotAProghead - October 17 2019 at 14:53
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:21
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Ah, I missed the part where you are using your PC.

that was my fault, I didn't make it clear enough
 Post Reply Post Reply