Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Renaissance Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite Renaissance album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.44%]
1 [2.44%]
1 [2.44%]
7 [17.07%]
8 [19.51%]
8 [19.51%]
7 [17.07%]
5 [12.20%]
1 [2.44%]
2 [4.88%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Renaissance Album
    Posted: October 15 2019 at 04:24
My vote goes to "Ashes Are Burning". For the sake  of completion, I've included the two earliest  Renaissance  albums in the poll, back when they had a completely different line-up, and I've also included the two Renaissance albums recorded in the 1990's with Michael Dunford & Stephanie Adlington. I'd be very surprised if anyone votes for either of the two New Wave Renaissance albums released in the 1980's. Smile
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 05:24
Novella (generally the most underrated?), because having it as a vinyl since youth it has become the dearest personally. More objectively evaluated, I'd probably go for Turn of the Cards.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 05:54
My favorite by far is Live at Carnegie Hall. From this list, Turn of the Cards.
PROGMATIC
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 06:36
Seasons is my current favorite.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 06:59
Could've chosen any of the first seven as I love them all but I've always had a jones for Novella. "Can You Hear Me?" "The Sisters" and "Touching Once (Is So Hard to Keep)" are three of the greatest prog songs ever put to vinyl.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 07:00
I’m boring.... Scheherazade
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 07:09
From what I recall,  Renaissance' last two albums are very good too. although I haven't listened to them for about five years. I really need to give them another listen.

These are my current Top 5  (although my Top 5 may change after I listen to "Tuscany" and "Grande il Vento" again) Smile

1. Ashes Are Burning
2. A Song for All Seasons
3. Turn of the Cards
4. Prologue
5. Novella

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 15 2019 at 07:10
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 07:37
A Song For all Seasons is my fave but Ashes and Turn are close behind.  Song just has the oomph lacking in prior albums
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 08:08
Novella was my entry point so you know how that goes...
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 08:50
1.Scheherazade 
2.Song for all Seasons
3.Turn of the Cards
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 08:51
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I’m boring.... Scheherazade

You're also right!Wink
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 08:51
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'd be very surprised if anyone votes for either of the two New Wave Renaissance albums released in the 1980's. Smile

I vote for Camera Camera just to prove you wrong.
Honestly it can't compete with Live at Carnegie Hall, and among the studio albums I love Song for all Seasons and Scheherazade just as much, with many others not far behind. Still Camera Camera is an excellent creative oddball album for those who can free themselves of wrong expectations that surely deserves a vote.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 08:53
^ I like Camera Camera. ( Some of it at least)  I saw them twice on that tour. Great show!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 09:07
Camera Camera is a great album.  It deserved a big new audience and is much better than most of what was popular at that time.  I also saw them on that tour and enjoyed it a lot

Edited by kenethlevine - October 15 2019 at 09:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 09:33
Wow! This poll is REALLY close. Currently, there are four albums tying for first place, all with three votes each.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 09:43
^ I expect Ashes to also be in the mix, so 5 albums in a row that are all legit contenders for best album.  Not many bands could claim this
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 09:46
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

^ I expect Ashes to also be in the mix, so 5 albums in a row that are all legit contenders for best album.  Not many bands could claim this

I was expecting "Ashes Are Burning" to win the poll, mainly because that's the album I voted for. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 09:50
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I'd be very surprised if anyone votes for either of the two New Wave Renaissance albums released in the 1980's. Smile

Honestly it can't compete with Live at Carnegie Hall, and among the studio albums I love Song for all Seasons and Scheherazade just as much, with many others not far behind. Still Camera Camera is an excellent creative oddball album for those who can free themselves of wrong expectations that surely deserves a vote.

Maybe it's time I gave "Camera Camera" another listen. I remember buying the album in the 1980's soon after it was released, but I felt so disappointed that I took it back to the shop and asked for my money back. The album didn't sound anything like the Renaissance I'd grown to know and love.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 10:02

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Maybe it's time I gave "Camera Camera" another listen. I remember buying the album in the 1980's soon after it was released, but I felt so disappointed that I took it back to the shop and asked for my money back. The album didn't sound anything like the Renaissance I'd grown to know and love.

Here's a verse from the title track, live.  Listen to that last sustained note, she goes on for nearly twenty seconds, almost makes you want to scream, "Annie, stop, you'll run out of breath" and obviously she doesn't.  

Camera Camera is a mixed bag overall but parts of the album are very strong and none more so than the title track.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 10:03
And just as a bonus, here's the second verse of Day of the Dreamer from the same concert (Palladium, New York, 1982).  The best rendering of that verse I have heard from her.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>