Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should Big Big Train be in Symphonic category?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should Big Big Train be in Symphonic category?
    Posted: October 16 2019 at 10:17
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

My feeling is they're not out and out symphonic but to be honest it doesn't really matter.

Of course it doesn't. Not in the slightest. But to some people, it matters a great deal
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 06:32
My feeling is they're not out and out symphonic but to be honest it doesn't really matter.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 05:29
I have never been obsessive about subgenre classification as long as it has a progressive rock link. If the difference depends on what style the band plays on each album, what we're going to do with bands that have a large discography with many styles of music? I can always see moving bands that have made one obvious change of style in their careers.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 21:37
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Just out of curiosity, when’s the test time an artist was moved?

Not completely sure. Anti-depressive Delivery was moved from Tech Extreme Metal to Heavy Prog in 2010. I think Ulver started somewhere other than where they ended up.

I'm sure there have been others since. I personally feel like there were bands in the early days that got shoved into metal because there was a distorted guitar.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 20:39
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I don't particularly care for the sub-genre system, or, indeed, obsession amongst some parts of the site. In reality, you could class The Underfall Yard, for example, as classic symphonic, earlier stuff as Crossover, where they are, or English Electric (both parts), Folklore, and Grimspound as prog folk. The latest is a wee bit of a mixture.

That is the trouble with categorising artists, instead of albums, and I will never change my mind on this.

Humans need to sort. I have no problem with the sub-genres as such. The problem is applying them to bands when they should be applied to albums. But that ship sailed a loooong time ago.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 20:04
Just out of curiosity, when’s the test time an artist was moved?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 13:22
I don't particularly care for the sub-genre system, or, indeed, obsession amongst some parts of the site. In reality, you could class The Underfall Yard, for example, as classic symphonic, earlier stuff as Crossover, where they are, or English Electric (both parts), Folklore, and Grimspound as prog folk. The latest is a wee bit of a mixture.

That is the trouble with categorising artists, instead of albums, and I will never change my mind on this.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
firstlensman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firstlensman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 10:48
I've listened to all their albums and Big Big Train should be in the Symphonic Prog category. They tend to have longer songs that are Symphonic in scope and sound. They use classical instruments such as the cello in their songs. The songs may not be as complex as say Yes, but they are definitely in the Gabriel era Genesis range. What say you?

Edited by firstlensman - October 15 2019 at 10:49
First Lensman
"Forever caught in desert lands, one has to learn to disbelieve the sea"
 Post Reply Post Reply