Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Band you tried to get in to , but can't.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 22:56
King Crimson to a good degree. I like them but there are just some pieces that just don't do it for me. 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 23:15
If I hear something by a band that interests me I will try to find more of it. Sometimes that quest is futile. This happened to me with Man. I can enjoy some Zappa, but for the most part I find his humor childish while at the same time admiring the music. I can get into Prog Metal at times, but for the most part I find it mere technicality with no artistry. And this includes Dream Theater. VdGG is intriguing but they too are a band I admire more than enjoy. And Porcupine Tree is completely over-rated.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 23:17
Honestly Yes, they're enjoyable enough, but rarely end up wowing me in any particular way, I find them to be quite bland a lot of the time, yet I find myself often enjoying a lot of bands or songs that are clearly heavily Yes influenced. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 23:37
Pretty much any fusion music. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 23:39
I think of Comus.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 00:33
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

If I hear something by a band that interests me I will try to find more of it. Sometimes that quest is futile. This happened to me with Man. I can enjoy some Zappa, but for the most part I find his humor childish while at the same time admiring the music. I can get into Prog Metal at times, but for the most part I find it mere technicality with no artistry. And this includes Dream Theater. VdGG is intriguing but they too are a band I admire more than enjoy. And Porcupine Tree is completely over-rated.

If you're looking for Progressive Metal that's more artistically pleasing and listenable than Dream Theater, then Ayreon might appeal to you...

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 00:40
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

If you're looking for Progressive Metal that's more artistically pleasing and listenable than Dream Theater, then Ayreon might appeal to you...

Ayreon are so overrated IMO, the last couple of albums were a chore to listen, too long and often "meh", heard it all before and better.
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukmytoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 01:28
Hogarth era Marillion - the voice is fine for a bit at a time but after a while it's like - Holy Hell, I wish he would stop sobbing his angst out. Hogarth cries, Rothery's guitar cries and after a while I feel like crying.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 01:47
Dream Theater. All of. Every album. Their aesthetic. Their legacy. Does not compute, Batman.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 02:16
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

there are a lot of them but VDGG is a widely popular one that is impossible for me to understand--the voice is horrible and love a good voice---plus it sounds like a satire of what a 70's prog band should sound like--by someone who hates prog bands.Tongue

another confession:--as much as I love Bill Bruford and how sublime his playing is---lots of KC I can't get into---I don't like neurotic sounding music as I'm neurotic enough LOL

VdGG and GG took me two decades to click, but they both did the early-to mid-90's for me.
Neurotic Crimson  >> yeah, the 80's stuff and Ade Belew was the neurotic dude in there.

Anything Progmetal I can't get into (with Tool being the exception), but it's not like I gave most of them a fair chance.... all of it was so annoying that three minutes of "music" by any of them is a better than a vaccination campaign.

I did try a fair bit of those neo-prog bands in the 80/90's, but often it was whiny vocals that turned me of.

Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

Hogarth era Marillion - the voice is fine for a bit at a time but after a while it's like - Holy Hell, I wish he would stop sobbing his angst out. Hogarth cries, Rothery's guitar cries and after a while I feel like crying.

prime example of course.... and they influenced so many bands (such as Twin Age, etc...) with their whiny music that it was nauseating

Of course, Fish's Marillion was also very much influence-some, as there is a series of band that literaly cloned then (Aragon, Asgard , etc...)

Edited by Sean Trane - October 17 2019 at 02:24
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 03:27
quite  a few. :-
Jadis
Flower Kings
Frank Zappa
Transatlantic 
Big Big Train
Gentle Giant
Opeth
Dream Theatre 
Threshold 
Pineapple Thief
Devin Townsend 

Edited by Cambus741 - October 17 2019 at 03:33
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 03:54
The usual suspects I'm afraid: Tool, Dream Theater, Captain Beefheart, Matching Mole, Tangerine Dream, 'Pixieland' Gong, Wobbler, Phideaux, the Moody Blues, Rush, Hawkwind, Henry Cow, Floyd post Syd (the list goes on)
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 03:55
Recently I've been listening to a lot of modern progressive and found appreciation for Pendragon, The Flower Kings (Still processing the Unfold the Future 3LP), modern IQ, Kaipa, Mystery (One Among the Living) and Galahad (Empires Never Last).

Somehow I can't stand a even a single song of most progressive metal like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Threshold and Pain of Salvation. Usually the problems occurs as soon as the poppy refrains kick in. Sometimes albums just seem to drag on and on. That's how I experience Riverside. I did however advance in my appreciation for Fates Warning and Leprous.

Perhaps some-one can recommend me the least-poppy-refrain-stained albums of these bands?

Edited by friso - October 17 2019 at 04:02
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 04:40
Most neo prog except for Soltice and Hogarth era Marillion. Also GG and VDGG from the classic prog days. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 06:13
PT/Steven Wilson.
Tried, but can't see what the attraction is.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 06:43
There are several, well renowned classic era bands that I have tried to appreciate, but can't, unfortunately

Can
Amon Duul 2
Faust
Neu!

90 percent of the time, when I listen to music, I give it my undivided attention, and don't multi-task in any way. I listen about half of my time to classical music, and the rest, progressive.

The above bands were ground-breaking, and justifiably important, but not my thing.

essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 07:30
Yes.  Just no....

(well, mostly)
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:10
Originally posted by Homotopy Homotopy wrote:

Don't know if it's allowed to write such things here - but Yes. I find them rather annoying than pleasant.
<snip>
ShockedShockedShockedShocked
Heresy! And no, you’re not allowed to write such things here! POLICE!
sidc58 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sidc58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:27
The Mars Volta
Devin Townsend
Supertramp
and all the heavy metal groups where I do not hear prog like: Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc.
"Why, she's no fun, she fell right over".--Nick Danger (Third Eye)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:29
Big Big Train
Spock’s Beard

Maybe Dream Theater too, but I haven’t put enough effort with them yet. I remain hopeful that they may click with me one day.

Edited by HackettFan - October 17 2019 at 08:38
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>