Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Band you tried to get in to , but can't.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2020 at 18:35
PT has a variety of sounds. The early albums are more directly influenced by Pink Floyd. I'd recommend Coma Divine (the live album) as it has great versions of the best of the early period. Then Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are more song oriented. Either of these two albums would be a good place to start; all are far different than In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident, which is PT's heavier phase. I much prefer the albums preceding In Absentia, although I still like the later stuff.
PROGMATIC
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2020 at 18:41
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

PT has a variety of sounds. The early albums are more directly influenced by Pink Floyd. I'd recommend Coma Divine (the live album) as it has great versions of the best of the early period. Then Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are more song oriented. Either of these two albums would be a good place to start; all are far different than In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident, which is PT's heavier phase. I much prefer the albums preceding In Absentia, although I still like the later stuff.

I disagree somewhat. Their transition was, to a degree, gradual and there was imo not that big of a leap between Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia. There's really only three or maybe four metallish songs on IA. The rest are vintage sounding PT and not too dissimilar to the two before it. There's even some heavy stuff on SD("even less" for example). For me the bigger leap was from Signify to Stupid Dream but even those two have some strong similarities. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 02 2020 at 18:53
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 11:16
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Gentle Giant: Octopus is the only album I like and even that I do not love.

As a result of the high praise given on this forum, and the realisation that I haven't really given them fair hearing, I decided to re-evaluate the music of Gentle Giant. I said this in the "Albums You've Recently Changed Your Mind On" thread:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster (in another thread) I prophesy disaster (in another thread) wrote:

An album that I've recently changed my mind on is Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory. This album was actually my first exposure to Gentle Giant about 20 years ago. I received this album in error after having ordered Octopus. Because Octopus was the recommended album, and it was my intention not to get more than one album, The Power And The Glory had to be returned. Nevertheless, I chose to listen to the album before returning it to get an idea of what to expect from Gentle Giant. I didn't like the album at that time, but hoped that because Octopus was the recommended album, it would be more likely that I would like it. This turned out to be case, but I continued with having that as my only album until quite recently when as a result of the high praise given to Gentle Giant on this forum, I decided to re-evaluate my assessment of Gentle Giant.

It turns out that after listening to The Power And The Glory a number of times, I quite like the album, perhaps even more than Octopus. I think I'm more receptive to The Power And The Glory now because I have a greater familiarity with Gentle Giant music so any strangeness no longer seems strange. Also, I think I was less receptive to The Power And The Glory 20 years ago because I had a motivation to dislike the album so that returning it would be easier. So it would appear that I've not given Gentle Giant a fair hearing, something that I'm currently rectifying.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - January 03 2020 at 11:17
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 11:27
Although I have listened to quite a few of their albums, apart from a few tracks, one group I've been unable to get into is Ozric Tentacles.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 11:29
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I assume most people on this site are pretty open minded about music & enjoy exploring different artists but I'm sure there are bands we all try to get in to, but we just can't . We don't say that are bad or not talented , they're just not for you. 

One for me is defiantly Van Der Graaf Generator. I've trier several times, in fact I just tried a few minutes ago but it's just not for me. (I know a lot of people on the site love them) 

So who is it for you?

You are hereby sentenced to progatory for raising the question. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 11:31
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Although I have listened to quite a few of their albums, apart from a few tracks, one group I've been unable to get into is Ozric Tentacles.
Do you actively excercise?  Great music for working out although I admit I don't do that although I should. LOL I would also recommend Maserati. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

MaldonTerryWood View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaldonTerryWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 10:47
Amon Duul. In principle I liked them because they were weird and German. But in practice...
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 11:40
Originally posted by MaldonTerryWood MaldonTerryWood wrote:

Amon Duul. In principle I liked them because they were weird and German. But in practice...

I thought it just me!! But what a name, eh?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 14:34
Are you talking about Amon Düül or Amon Düül II? Chances are you mean Amon Düül II, but if it's Amon Düül without the number II, give ADII a chance, too. Amon Düül were a hippy commune doing some music for fun, their stuff is not of much value really (of course that's subjective, but let's say to most people). ADII were the real musicians.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 01:00
Eloy (vox). SOme nice music though...
(90s T Dream (casio keyboards... )
Neal Morse and a lot of what gets called retro prog. Mainly because instead of, like Yes, deciding on musical ways to achieve a musical emotion the complex prog is an established style. The means has become an end. Had a 4 CD DVD live album and the intricacy was both fascinating and dull - it lacked great tunes. Something that only rarely happened with Yes. This happens a lot with the technically accomplished but under composed (sadly and annoyingly).
Vdgg. Respect but cannot enjoy - vox again. In need of some job share (too few trying too much) or a guitarist.
Tool. Got the first two ages ago and returned them and recovered by exchanging what I thought was awful with some Camel. Got 10000 Days. It's ok, intricate long hard rock numbers in search of a decent guitar solo.
Radiohead. Beyond some of Kid A (very RIO influenced) I cannot get why they are so popular. Desperation for a new DSOTM by OK PC / Mac fans I'd heard...

Not a bad ratio for a popular music sub genre. Some didn't take off. Most did (which doesn't mean I need or want complete catalogues from everyone - just good representations.
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jzrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 12:30
I would say for me there are many bands that I just cant bet into. The good thing about prog as there are alot of different unique bands. So more variety and more chances of not liking something. I really tried but just didnt het into Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, or Gentile Giant.
I bought. Gentile Giant Album back in the 70’s just based on it being prog and figured I would like it.. i listened tonit a few times and then that was it .
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 22:22
I've tried and tried to like these artists/bands with absolutely no success:
Van der Graaf Generator
Steven Wilson
Tool
Magma
IQ
Phideaux
And many others...

Edited by Cylli Kat (0fficial) - March 17 2020 at 11:51
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 23:11
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Are you talking about Amon Düül or Amon Düül II? Chances are you mean Amon Düül II, but if it's Amon Düül without the number II, give ADII a chance, too. Amon Düül were a hippy commune doing some music for fun, their stuff is not of much value really (of course that's subjective, but let's say to most people). ADII were the real musicians.

Thanks!  I consider "Wolf City" by ADII to be one of the gems of the 1970s, with musical moments that rival their peers.  It is a very dark, powerful work that I have loved for many years.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 00:51
Originally posted by Cylli Kat (0fficial) Cylli Kat (0fficial) wrote:

I've tried and tied to like these artists/bands with absolutely no success:
Van der Graaf Generator
Steven Wilson
Tool
Magma
IQ
Phideaux
And many others...

the only one that seems a little strange to me is Wilson and only because his albums to date are all different stylistically (at least to my ears). The other bands I know well enough (except Magma) to 'get' where you are coming from. Perhaps you don't like picking and choosing from an artist? There are King Crimson albums I love (Red , Power to Believe) and others I really don't care for (Larks Tongue In Aspic and Discipline) but I'm happy enough that there are a few that I like.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 06:43
Originally posted by Cylli Kat (0fficial) Cylli Kat (0fficial) wrote:

I've tried and tied to like these artists/bands with absolutely no success:
Van der Graaf Generator
Steven Wilson
Tool
Magma
IQ
Phideaux
And many others...

I'm with you. I do not enjoy any of those bands.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 06:45
Originally posted by MaldonTerryWood MaldonTerryWood wrote:

So was Ludwig II of Bavaria but no-one would have paid to hear him sing Wink
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 08:28
Van der Graaf Generator I guess
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 16:02
The Moody Blues. I've, obviously, heard Knights in White Satin on the radio and also something about tuesday afternoon, but that's it. So I would like to maybe try to get into this band. Does someone who's a fan on here have a suggestion for a good album to start with for them?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 16:15
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

The Moody Blues. I've, obviously, heard Knights in White Satin on the radio and also something about tuesday afternoon, but that's it. So I would like to maybe try to get into this band. Does someone who's a fan on here have a suggestion for a good album to start with for them?

I like all of the early ones but one of my favorites is In Search of the Lost Chord....

turn up the volume......

Edited by dr wu23 - March 21 2020 at 16:24
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 16:17
Ok cool. Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>