Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Some Bummer Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Some Bummer Music
    Posted: October 16 2019 at 16:43
Been feeling down in the dumps lately. I’m a college student, music major (piano if anyone’s curious). A lot of stuff has stressed me out so I need a good soundtrack haha. Frequently play Steven Wilson, Pink Floyd, Pet Sounds and the likes. Could use some sad dark prog recommendations. Thank you.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 16:49
Riverside
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 23:52
Anathema
Antimatter

British doom-metal band Warning made one of the saddest albums i've ever heard - Watching from a Distance.
Another sad gothic/doom favorite of mine is Flowing Tears - Jade. Superb with an excellent female singer.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 01:37
Just listen to The Smiths and Leonard Cohen. Don't bother with prog.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 01:52
I had to click on this thread to find out what "bummer music" is. Smile I'm curious to know why you would want to listen to some sad dark prog music if you're feeling down in the dumps. Wouldn't that just make you feel more depressed?
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 02:45
One spin of Hand. Cannot. Erase. Was all it took to feel considerably better. What an amazing album
handwrist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handwrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 05:57
May I suggest the opposite? Music is incredibly powerful. If you're aching seriously, it can cut deeply. You may find some pleasure in that pain, but ultimately, it might send you in a downward spiral.

I have been through it, so just a word of caution.

Perhaps something inspirational, that can go low but bring you up, would be a good option: off the top of my head, Caravan (If I could do it all over again I would...), Camel's Snow Goose or Magma's MDK.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 06:44
Have you got the Berlin album by Lou Reed?
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 06:55
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

This^ 
 stuff like Nick Drake 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:08
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I had to click on this thread to find out what "bummer music" is. Smile I'm curious to know why you would want to listen to some sad dark prog music if you're feeling down in the dumps. Wouldn't that just make you feel more depressed?

I was wondering the same thing.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:31
What does it for me is music that is relentlessly driving forward. Here's Kong, recently already mentioned in the "favourite Dutch" thread.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 08:58
how about OPETH's "Damnation"?
or NORDAGUST's "In the Mist of Morning"
or pretty much anything by TENHI

yeah Nordic music for sure

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:02
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Anekdoten!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:24
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

how about OPETH's "Damnation"?
or NORDAGUST's "In the Mist of Morning"
or pretty much anything by TENHI

The Scandinavians are well-known for their doom-laden angst because they have long winters and short summers. Tongue
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 09:47

Edited by MortSahlFan - October 17 2019 at 09:48
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 10:16
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

This^ 
 stuff like Nick Drake 

Fully agree on the Nick Drake & Leonard Cohen

also

Univers Zero
Present
Shub Niggurath
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 10:25
I agree about Nick Drake. I've always found his music to be immensely depressing and I can't help being reminded that he took his own life at the tender age of 26. Unhappy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:39
Drake is a favourite of mine, as is Cohen, also "Sea Song" by Robert Wyatt.

As for more modern ones, that are both in PA, Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails have made "bummer" music. Radiohead I would think would be pretty well-known for that.

By the way, I am a chronic depressive, and like to listen to sad music. I figure, if I'm going to be depressed, I might as well enjoy it.:) When deeply in the doldrums I don't really want people to try to cheer me up, and there's a part of me that does like to revel in it.

Edited by Logan - October 17 2019 at 11:40
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:43
Radiohead's "Kid A" album was so depressing that I gave it away to a charity shop. Smile
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 11:51
Grave New World by The Strawbs?
Or MAY I ROT-AH*SOB-T for suggesting it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>