Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Robert Fripp & King Crimson's Future

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robert Fripp & King Crimson's Future
    Posted: October 18 2019 at 01:19
After the most disappointing period of circa 2004-2014, when the band was playing limited number of gigs and there was no hope for future albums, King Crimson is back and strong, touring the world extensively in recent years... and even celebrating its 50th anniversary in a very convincing manner!

But my question is: what will happen next?
Do you think we'll ever listen to another brand new LP from this band? If so, are there any chances that Robert Fripp will push the prog boundaries a bit further and comes up with superb "comeback" material, as was the case with Larks, Discipline or Thrak ?

On a sidenote: how did you enjoy this latest band incarnation live? Is it sophisticated and thoughtful, or rather self-indulgent, redundant?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 02:19
The current line up is fantastic live IMO, although to be fair I hadn't seen them in any other manifestation, so can't compare. I just enjoy them as I find them.

As for new albums, I'd certainly buy any new release from them, but I think it's the case, as with any ageing band, their best material is always going to be from when they were relatively young, energised and more inspired.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 02:30
I'm planning to go back to the future to listen to the seven future albums that followed "In the Court of the Crimson King", then maybe I'll be ready to make my own King Crimson album. Smile
heavydrum View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavydrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 03:01
i've been in love with crimson since i was a 9 year and dreamed of seeing them for years, so when they announced the first reunion tour i went to both the concerts in my city. i've seen this line-up 6 times now and i would run back to see them another 100 times if i could, it's one of the best live shows i've seen in my life and worth every damn penny.
as for the future, i'd really love to see them put out something new, even if i wasn't overtly enthusiastic about "a scarcity of miracles" i really think they could pull out one more great album.
let's just wait and see :)
i refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 05:18
One of the best live bands out there these days but I seriously doubt they are releasing any new material.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 05:46
Depends, if Robert wins his case to be credited as a FEATURED ARTIST on David Bowie's albums then it could be touring business as usual.
But if he loses, tours, rushed out albums, opening the KC back catalogue to advertiser's, advertising for money, any old money will do to recover the costs!

I would love it if Robert wasn't involved in this current legal nonsense as it has got the potential to tarnish the work he's done but clawing even more money.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 07:05
I remember having read somewhere (probably here) that Fripp and Belew have made peace and that there is a potential of future collaboration. I'd be surprised if Fripp had generally given up on doing new things and had become fully nostalgic these days. In fact the current line-up (which I have seen twice live and which is great) does some very original stuff arrangement-wise even if the songs they play are all old.

I'd expect that Fripp would be open to a new album, but I don't know how strong his creativity still is. I could imagine Belew to have more spark these days, and it'd be a dream come true if he could stimulate the band to come up with something new and good. I have no idea how likely that is though.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 07:36
Hell Hounds of Krim
Radical Action (all parts)
Meltdown
Radical Action (To Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind)
Devil Dogs of Tessellation Row)
Suitable Grounds for the Blues
Banshee Legs Bell Hassle
Drumzilla
Drumsons

this is the NEW stuff they've been playing live only for the past 4-5 years, and it's like 40-45 minutes of material. Here's your new album
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 07:48
Fripp is 72. Only Fripp knows the future of KC.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 08:09
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

One of the best live bands out there these days but I seriously doubt they are releasing any new material.

Yes, they don't seem to be interested in releasing a new album, even though they are playing some new material in their live concerts. I hope they do, and if they decide to do it, I'll be ready to buy the album.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 09:56
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Fripp is 72. Only Fripp knows the future of KC.

Exactly---funny how Fripp all his young life was interested in art---not money or so it seemed. Refusing until recently to sell KC on iTunes ---but many old guys seem to love to play live (Howe Hackett) and some do it because they need the income. I don't know where Robert fits into this. I don't know if he's paying for ex-wives or has kids he wants to leave money to. 

Bruford the very smart financial planner seemed to bow out early.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 10:06
King Crimson will only release new material if Fripp feels - correction: knows - that it pushes the prog boundaries. Consequently, the 'comeback' material will be superb; notwithstanding that they are in fact back and have been for quite some time. 

Edited by earlyprog - October 18 2019 at 10:06
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 10:11
At $250 per head it would be f**king stupid to stay at home cultivating plants instead of playing a little guitar on stage for an hour and a half.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 14:03
I saw KC last year in Cleveland (Only $60 for 10 rows back, center seat!) and they were so great it nearly brought tears to my eyes. And I agree with ProgJester that the new material they're playing live the last few years could constitute a new album.
PROGMATIC
ProjektGemineye1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProjektGemineye1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 15:05
I really like this current line up. Saw them in Toronto in 2017...the famous Toronto show when Fripp walked off after their main set and refused to return for the encore due to one person taking photos with their cell phone.
But it was a great show...
Im shoping they come out with a studio album next...long overdue.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 16:56
Well, there's not much of a future for Robert Fripp, is there? He is 73, after all.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 23:32
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Hell Hounds of Krim
Radical Action (all parts)
Meltdown
Radical Action (To Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind)
Devil Dogs of Tessellation Row)
Suitable Grounds for the Blues
Banshee Legs Bell Hassle
Drumzilla
Drumsons

this is the NEW stuff they've been playing live only for the past 4-5 years, and it's like 40-45 minutes of material. Here's your new album

Yeah, they have done many new songs... or improvs at least. However, as far as I remember, the ones I have already heard don't really do much for me. They are nice to have in the concerts, but I don't think they would do a very enjoyable new album... at least not for me.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 00:04
I am casually acquainted with Bob and his sister, Patricia.  On July 7, 2019 I wrote an email to Pat Fripp about Bob's future plans, and she only wrote:

As the moment all focus is on KC’s 50 anniversary. My brother is 100% focused on performance.

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 00:42
The live gig I went to last year was the best I've ever seen. My feeling is that this is the best place for the band to thrive. New studio material? Forget it. They have such a great legacy that there is simply no need.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 07:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The live gig I went to last year was the best I've ever seen. My feeling is that this is the best place for the band to thrive. New studio material? Forget it. They have such a great legacy that there is simply no need.

Robert Fripp is 73 years old and as far as being dragged through the digestive tract of a music industry's irritable bowel goes, has paid his dues several time over. If he wishes to see out his time as a performer by playing an unimpeachable back catalogue with his mates to critical and audience acclaim, who are we to deny him this thoroughly merited succour?

Just don't expect me however, to describe his subsequent output as progressive or remotely prescient with regards future developments in popular music. That would be like hiring a historian to read your palm.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1346807

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>