Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Renaissance - Northern Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renaissance - Northern Lights
    Posted: October 19 2019 at 08:03

The PROLOGUE to this tale begins with a TRIP TO THE FAIR, held annually by THE SISTERS of Mercy charity. The trip led to THE DISCOVERY of the book "One Thousand and One Nights". I REMEMBER the GOLDEN THREAD of the story concerns THE CAPTIVE HEART of SCHEHERAZADE, THE ENTERTAINER of the RAJAH KHAN, a MIDAS MAN of immense riches with a BLACK FLAME burning in his heart. The AIR OF DRAMA in the OPENING OUT of the story tells how SCHEHERAZADE finds the GOLDEN KEY to saving her life is to relate the tale of the 1001 nights. She wins over the JEKYLL AND HYDE nature of the King with her exotic tales, and he shows her KINDNESS AT THE END by managing to SPARE SOME LOVE in his black heart by marrying his PRECIOUS LOVE. She becomes his queen in this dramatic tale of KINGS AND QUEENS and lost INNOCENCE. One of the PEARLS OF WISDOM I learned from the book is that LOVE GOES ON to conquer all in the end when  LOVE IS ALL you need.

I'm a WANDERER at heart and the book inspired me to travel on a SECRET MISSION to the DISTANT HORIZONS of Istanbul ON THE FRONTIER of Asia aboard the ORIENT EXPRESS. It sometimes feels like time is RUNNING AWAY FROM YOU and I was RUNNING HARD like a BULLET  out of a gun in THE RACE to arrive on time AT THE HARBOUR. I arrived just in time to set sail across the English Channel on the OCEAN GYPSY ferry and leave behind the ISLAND of Great Britain. I love the SOUNDS OF THE SEA and it was a beautiful day IN THE SUNSHINE, underneath the CARPET OF THE SUN which glimmered like sparkling PORCELAIN.

Upon arrival in France, I felt like I was BOUND FOR INFINITY, with the most dramatic adventure IN MY LIFE just beginning. CAN YOU UNDERSTAND how good it felt to realise a dream when I'd LET IT GROW in my heart for so long? I still had a long way to go though but at least I was CLOSER THAN YESTERDAY to realising my dream. The FACE OF YESTERDAY was behind me now because this was the DAY OF THE DREAMER. I dreamed of  travelling to exotic places like the ISLAND of KALYNDA, A MAGICAL ISLE with a WATERFALL which sparkles BLOOD SILVER LIKE MOONLIGHT and where THE VULTURES FLY HIGH in their FLIGHT over distant shores. That was about as likely as seeing FAERIES LIVING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE GARDEN though and my dreams vanished as quickly as the flames on a funeral pyre when only the ASHES ARE BURNING.

My real ambition was to eventually travel north from Istanbul to KIEV to experience exotic THINGS I DON'T UNDERSTAND, including those mysterious UKRAINE WAYS. I'd have to be careful to avoid TOUCHING ONCE on the delicate subject of the recent war with Russia though. I was planning  to head to the  northwest of MOTHER RUSSIA where I'd heard the extreme COLD IS BEING like the inside of a freezer. I'd love to see the NORTHERN LIGHTS for the first time with their MAJIK shimmering SYMPHONY OF LIGHT. It'd be like one of those awesome moments when you could sing A SONG FOR ALL SEASONS and CRY TO THE WORLD with joy and shout "CAN YOU HEAR ME now"?

I had a long journey ahead but I was looking forward to being  BACK HOME ONCE AGAIN with my FRIENDS, when I'd be sure to remind them that I THINK OF YOU when I'm away.

All song titles in HIGHLIGHTS by Renaissance

The Complete Renaissance Discography including:- Illusion; Annie Haslam solo; Jane Relf's Renaissance; Michael Dunford's Renaissance; & Annie Haslam's Nevada! Smile

5 stars 1975: Renaissance - Scheherazade and Other Stories - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzDgVPezd4CDucu7iewHWO1a
 5 stars 1976: Renaissance - Live at Carnegie Hall - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzDOnLYsyDrS3q1TZCKagors
 5 stars 1977: Renaissance - Live at the BBC Sight & Sound - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzA9jwulhettWzOwBETXxFjV
 5 stars 1978: Renaissance - A Song for All Seasons - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBknz6eRGBZDvHi34IU-egg
 4 stars 1994: Annie Haslam - Blessing in Disguise - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzDFua7-v1tm_4bJVnxXT8PQ
 3 stars 1994: Michael Dunford's Renaissance - The Other Woman (no playlist currently available Confused)
 3 stars 1997: Michael Dunford's Renaissance - Ocean Gypsy (no playlist currently available Confused)
 3 stars 1997: Renaissance - Songs from Renaissance Days - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCBay2KqM-bXgiZVfIVwFLt
 4 stars 1997: Annie Haslam - Live in Philadelphia - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBXmhVhtH_JvzxIL0XGHySj
 4 stars 1998: Annie Haslam - Live Under Brazilian Skies - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzA17r7Nj8QlKnFrTmJ5zJ3r
 3 stars 2000: Annie Haslam - It Snows in Heaven Too - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCuL8RNTj6aRgO2VpNU2vEP
 3 stars 2000: Annie Haslam's Nevada - Pictures in the Fire - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCqHhEao6vdKpCJZ_QkllTu
 4 stars 2001: Renaissance Illusion - Through the Fire - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzB6nIaz74g4UMMlZFtkorMe
 4 stars 2002: Renaissance - In the Land of the Rising Sun - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzB8vjW6Z-8vVdhGIH_jJ_z-
 4 stars 2002: Annie Haslam - One Enchanted Evening - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBwi5NA_FR-Ax3_5-KCJDV-
 5 stars 2008: Jane's Renaissance: The Complete Jane Relf Collection - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mvCdYFHpJN_UOBNSwICSg_6HOv5Z4denQ
 4 stars 2015: Renaissance - Live at the Union Chapel - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzA-hYWcF3-pkDpPi9UvcS24
 5 stars 2018: Renaissance - A Symphonic Journey -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCrxDU1rVreTB_968mjMt6y

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 10 2023 at 16:11
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 09:18
I admire your talent. You are a great story teller, so please keep them coming.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 10:06
Thanks again Manuel. A short story featuring either the songs or albums of YES is next on my agenda. Heart
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sukmytoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 13:00
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Thanks again Manuel. A short story featuring either the songs or albums of YES is next on my agenda. Heart
You ever thought of writing as more than a passtime? I've started to more than dabble in that field but my thing is very much on the Horror side.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 13:17
Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

You ever thought of writing as more than a passtime? I've started to more than dabble in that field but my thing is very much on the Horror side.
An American publisher on another website suggested I should write those kind of song titles stories professionally, but if I did that, it would become a bit of a chore having to write one virtually every day and it would take all the fun out of it. Not only that, permissions would have to be sought from the publishers and writers of the songs to use their songs in a book, which could potentially be expensive and cause all sorts of problems, so I'll just stick to posting them here for the time being. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 15:23

Great. I look forward to reading your wonderous story. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 15:50
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Great. I look forward to reading your wonderous story. LOL

It's going to be quite a challenge finding a way to include "Tales from Topographic Oceans" in some obscure fashion in a YES albums wondrous story. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 16:21
I checked to see if I spelled wonderous story wrong. I didn't. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 21:58

I checked to see if I spelled wonderous story wrong. I didn't. 

Maybe it's one of those words that can be spelled either way if there's an American and British spelling, although I'd never noticed it was spelled that particular way in the YES song before. Smile
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 07:39
Too bad THE SISTERS weren't invited on your travels!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 08:22
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Too bad THE SISTERS weren't invited on your travels!

It's funny you should mention "The Sisters" because I had it written down in my long list of Renaissance songs to include, but I just couldn't find a place for the song in my story. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 08:43
I actually don't know much about Renaissance. I saw them live once and they were great but apart from a few songs I'm not that familiar. I did meet Annie Haslam once though and got my picture taken with her.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 10:34

I actually don't know much about Renaissance. I saw them live once and they were great but apart from a few songs I'm not that familiar. I did meet Annie Haslam once though and got my picture taken with her.

You've really got me thinking now about how I'm going to edit "The Sisters" into my story before I do a print-out of it. Smile

That's amazing that you actually met Annie Haslam. Star You might like this cover version she did of a well-known Genesis song.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 11:01

You've really got me thinking now about how I'm going to edit "The Sisters" into my story before I do a print-out of it. Smile

That's amazing that you actually met Annie Haslam. Star You might like this cover version she did of a well-known Genesis song.

She lives in my general area and I read somewhere she was having an art exhibit so I went to check out her art. I had to wait for a while to talk to her since others were already talking to her but I finally got my chance. Then I was able to talk others into taking a picture of us. One didn't turn out to good but at least one did. This was before I had an iphone or even digital camera so I actually have a physical picture somewhere. 

Anyway, she also covered "turn of the century" I think with Steve Howe on a Yes tribute album.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 20 2019 at 11:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 11:08
I'd forgotten Annie Haslam was living near Philadelphia now.

I think the Yes tribute album was published by the same company that released the Genesis tribute album.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 11:11
^Yep. Magna Carta. They're still around but I don't think they are exclusively prog rock anymore(although it's still the majority of what they have) and only have a facebook and bandcamp presence these days.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 20 2019 at 11:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 11:16
When you mentioned Magna Carta I thought of the English Prog-Folk band. This is my favourite Magna Carta song.....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 11:26
Update: "The Sisters" are now included in my Scheherazade story, in the very first line. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 11:33

The PROLOGUE to this tale begins with a TRIP TO THE FAIR, organised by THE SISTERS of Mercy charity. The trip led to THE DISCOVERY of the book "One Thousand and One Nights". I REMEMBER the GOLDEN THREAD of the story concerns THE CAPTIVE HEART of SCHEHERAZADE, THE ENTERTAINER of the RAJAH KHAN, a MIDAS MAN of immense riches with a BLACK FLAME burning in his heart. The AIR OF DRAMA in the OPENING OUT of the story tells how SCHEHERAZADE finds the GOLDEN KEY to saving her life is to relate the tale of the 1001 nights. She wins over the JEKYLL AND HYDE nature of the King with her exotic tales, and he shows her KINDNESS AT THE END by managing to SPARE SOME LOVE in his black heart by marrying his PRECIOUS LOVE. She becomes his queen in this dramatic tale of KINGS AND QUEENS and lost INNOCENCE. One of the PEARLS OF WISDOM I learned from the book is that LOVE GOES ON to conquer all in the end when  LOVE IS ALL you need.

I'm a WANDERER at heart and the book inspired me to travel on a SECRET MISSION to the DISTANT HORIZONS of Istanbul ON THE FRONTIER of Asia aboard the ORIENT EXPRESS. It sometimes feels like time is RUNNING AWAY FROM YOU and I was RUNNING HARD like a BULLET  out of a gun in THE RACE to arrive on time AT THE HARBOUR. I arrived just in time to set sail across the English Channel on the OCEAN GYPSY ferry and leave behind the ISLAND of Great Britain. I love the SOUNDS OF THE SEA and it was a beautiful day IN THE SUNSHINE, underneath the CARPET OF THE SUN which glimmered like sparkling PORCELAIN.

Upon arrival in France, I felt like I was BOUND FOR INFINITY, with the most dramatic adventure IN MY LIFE just beginning. CAN YOU UNDERSTAND how good it felt to realise a dream when I'd LET IT GROW in my heart for so long? I still had a long way to go though but at least I was CLOSER THAN YESTERDAY to realising my dream. The FACE OF YESTERDAY was behind me now because this was the DAY OF THE DREAMER. I dreamed of  travelling to exotic places like the ISLAND of KALYNDA, A MAGICAL ISLE with a WATERFALL which sparkles BLOOD SILVER LIKE MOONLIGHT and where THE VULTURES FLY HIGH in their FLIGHT over distant shores. That was about as likely as seeing FAERIES LIVING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE GARDEN though and my dreams vanished as quickly as the flames on a funeral pyre when only the ASHES ARE BURNING.

My real ambition was to eventually travel north from Istanbul to KIEV to experience exotic THINGS I DON'T UNDERSTAND, including those mysterious UKRAINE WAYS. I'd have to be careful to avoid TOUCHING ONCE on the delicate subject of the recent war with Russia though. I was planning  to head to the  northwest of MOTHER RUSSIA where I'd heard the extreme COLD IS BEING like the inside of a freezer. I'd love to see the NORTHERN LIGHTS for the first time with their MAJIK shimmering SYMPHONY OF LIGHT. It'd be like one of those awesome moments when you could sing A SONG FOR ALL SEASONS and CRY TO THE WORLD with joy and shout "CAN YOU HEAR ME now"?

I had a long journey ahead but I was looking forward to being  BACK HOME ONCE AGAIN with my FRIENDS, when I'd be sure to remind them that I THINK OF YOU when I'm away.

All song titles in HIGHLIGHTS by Renaissance

That's cute Paul but I can't helping thinking that you may have to much time on your hands. Lol!!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 11:43
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

That's cute Paul but I can't helping thinking that you may have to much time on your hands. Lol!!

Haa! LOL You wouldn't be the first person who's said that. After all, it did take me eight hours to write, which is why I generally only post one song titles story a week. The next one will feature  the songs and/or albums of YES. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>