Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DT, Opeth and Tool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [23.61%]
25 [34.72%]
22 [30.56%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.56%]
4 [5.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 07:53
Tool
Opeth
DT
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 07:56
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Opeth is awesome and has never released a bad album

That is your opinion. I don't agree with your statement.

Hmmmm, I don’t think they’ve ever made a clear blatant stinker like the other two have, moreso dream theater. Tried listening to black clouds and silver linings earlier and man it was hard to sit through

The Astonishing can be hard to get through, but Black Clouds an Silver Linings is particularly excellent.

+1

DT all the way for me here
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 08:55
Opeth by far. 
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 08:59
Tool, no contest. Also not a prog metal fan.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 11:21
Continuing my anti-prog metal phase, I voted none of them. Opeth has not grabbed me in any way yet. I am burned out on Dream Theater. Tool has its moments but I am generally underwhelmed. As usual, I have to qualify that by the fact I admire the technical abilities of these artists and I can get into the genre every now and then. Maybe I have mellowed with age (but then again I am enjoying Generation X at the moment).
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 11:59
Opeth 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 16:29
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Dream Theater Liked them in the 90s for a handful of songs when I was exposed to little else in the genre.
Tool Always found them to be thin and tiresome.
Opeth
Though admittedly most of the material prior to Watershed was less than appealing to me. Their recent endeavors have been great.

I fully agree!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 16:38
cool poll, i as of now, gravitates in style mostly towards Tool, as they also apeals to me in same mannor as bands like Neurosis, Soundgarden, Deftones, Janes Addiction, the mesh between prog and alternative music, the only Dream Theater albums i can hear for the moment and enjoy are Kevin Moore based lineup. And Opeth i must  be in mood for, but i can listen to more albums by Opeth than Dream Theater. 

So Tool it is. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 23:18
Dream Theater easily.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 23:20
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Haken should have been in this poll.

Ha ha. You know what? While I don't think they are quite as well known as the other bands in this poll I agree that they should have been included. I just totally forgot. I'm only familiar with affinity which is good(apparently the others are better)but have seen Haken live twice(0 times for Opeth and Tool and once for DT when they opened for Yes). But anyway, yeah stylistically Haken fits right in. I'm not the biggest prog metal fan but all these bands are pretty top notch imo even though Opeth became less metallish later on. 

The Mountain is also excellent. I need to explore more of their catalog.

For me, Haken is in a different period already. The new generation.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 05:57
Dream Theater > Opeth

I don't like Tool

Edit: I think Opeth had more time-sig changes, solos and moments of fury mixed with calm when they played death metal. Soft Opeth is just...soft, with little to no in-track variation. There's no ups and downs or the crazy stuff you might find in Genesis, Caravan, Camel, Yes, KC etc. They became rather bland.

Edited by Upbeat Tango Monday - October 30 2019 at 06:06
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 08:44
Since I'm not into prog metal, I took the last option. However, I'ver heard some of the music from these three bands, trying to get into their musc, and I would say probably Opeth is the only one I could possibly try again. 
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 12:46
Tool with miles in front of Opeth with several lightyears in front of DT
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 14:57
Not my thing. Metal is Metal. Prog is Prog.

But it's all good. 

Portnoy era DT was pretty cool, I guess...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 18:18
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Not my thing. Metal is Metal. Prog is Prog.

But it's all good. 

Portnoy era DT was pretty cool, I guess...

So you you think prog metal is part of metal and not prog?
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 00:56
Opeth > Dream Theater >>> Tool
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 06:33
Dream Theater

I enjoy the Moore era of the band more than anything those other bands did.

Specific albums from these bands in a poll would make for much interesting discussion.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 10:23
Not really a Prog Metal fan but I do find Tool and Opeth interesting. Not the case for DT.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 02:59
Easy. Opeth.
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 09:22
Opeth easily, Tool and DT are less innovative when it comes making compositions.

Edited by Foxprog - February 03 2020 at 09:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>