Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DT, Opeth and Tool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [23.61%]
25 [34.72%]
22 [30.56%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.56%]
4 [5.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 02:40
Dream Theater I really like, Opeth I sort of like and Tool I don't like much though I've tried real hard to get into them ... it never happened Disapprove

Edited by Enchant X - February 04 2020 at 03:14
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 09:54
Tool 
Dream Theater 
Opeth I don`t like I have really tried to get into them but NO!!!! 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 05:46
Opeth > Dream Theater > Tool

Not sure where the gap is wider, but Opeth is so, so brilliant
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 06:38
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Opeth > Dream Theater > Tool

Not sure where the gap is wider, but Opeth is so, so brilliant

They stand similarly in my book also.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 09:00
1 - Opeth i really like all the albums, my favorites are "Still Life" and "Blackwater Park"
2 - Tool, love "Aenima" and "Lateralus", "Undertown" and "Opiate" are good albums and "10000 days" and "Fear Inoculum" average albums
3 - Dream Theater, only like "I&W" and "Awake", post kevin Moore find them boring to hell
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 09:16
I'm a fan of Opeth, I have quite a few of their albums.

I have 2 Tool albums  - Lateralus and 10K Days.

I have owned some DT CDs but they haven't really grabbed me and I've never recovered from their version of Xanadu.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 10:02
Metal is not a sub- that I seek out--I have to force myself to listen to it. But, I do try--especially based upon other "prog lovers'" suggestions. There have been albums and bands that I have been impressed by--Tool, Opeth, and Dream Theater being among them--but also some of the stuff by Savatage, Angra, Agalloch, Green Carnation, Toby Driver projects, Into the Woods, and Devy Townsend. I don't like it all--and I don't reach out for any of them when I want to hear "music that I like"--it's more of a intellectual stimulus: for the challenge of trying to find beauty within chaos and cacophony. 

The three bands of this poll (and the many offshoot albums and projects from solo and outside collaborations by members and former members) are always interesting.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
candalua View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candalua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 01:26
Tool!!
But for some reason I cannot vote
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 09:44
None..not a fan of 'prog metal'....as heavy as I get is some Sabbath, Rush, Maiden, and PT...
Stern Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 10:48
I think I came across Dream Theater first and listened to their stuff for some time, but the interest faded and now it's mostly for nostalgia if I put something on. Never been a fan of LaBrie's vocals.

Tool is also something I found relatively early in my prog era and took some time to get into, but once I was there, it's been one of my favorite bands. I have lost some interest in prog metal, so they don't get too much playtime these days, though Fear Innoculum brought a spark back.

Opeth is my favorite of the three. By miles on Dream Theater and significantly on Tool. I love their sound, changes from heavy to soft parts, growling and clean vocals. I've listened to their later albums a lot, but the favorites are still from the growling era.

Edited by Zeph - November 11 2020 at 10:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123