Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ian Anderson and the trademark Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 16:43
Whatever happened between Barre and Anderson anyways? I was under the impression that they were pursuing solo careers at one point, but now it seems both of them are doing Jethro Tull retrospective shows anyways. Ian could use some classic Tull musicans, and Martin could use a flute player; seems like they'd be the perfect match if they joined forces.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 17:40
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Whatever happened between Barre and Anderson anyways? I was under the impression that they were pursuing solo careers at one point, but now it seems both of them are doing Jethro Tull retrospective shows anyways. Ian could use some classic Tull musicans, and Martin could use a flute player; seems like they'd be the perfect match if they joined forces.

Martin is actually a very capable flute player(flautist)in his own right so he doesn't really need Ian for that. 
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 18:14
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Martin is actually a very capable flute player(flautist)in his own right so he doesn't really need Ian for that. 

Only problem is it's pretty tough to play flute and guitar at the same time!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 19:01

Only problem is it's pretty tough to play flute and guitar at the same time!

That's what backup musicians are for. Wink 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2019 at 02:51
I've stopped caring for Tull a bit after the last time I saw them (my guess is around 2003 or sumthin')
Tull played a very important role in my early life; they were my introduction to rock music first (yeah, even before the Beatles & Stones, I was 6) and constitutive to my  "prog" fandom (from 11 yo onwards), but but ever since I've been old enough to see concerts (that's roughly SFTW and Bursting Out era), but I've never been all that enthralled by later shows of theirs, especially not the A, TB&TB and UW tours (which got me sickened of them), to the point of only seeing them the next time in the later 90's and 00's (the show cited above)

I'd say that no album of theirs really did that much to me past TAAB (yes, even SFTW and HH didn't clinch it for me the way Aqualung of Brick did), with the notable exception of Branches - though that album only got me going because it was soo much better than what they did over the last 15 years, but in hindsight, it hasn't held up that well either.

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Note a couple of things from the headlines and articles presented: Jethro Tull Band is technically not the same as Jethro Tull but close enough to not matter to most people. Also, a journalist might not know the intricacies of the relationships between former band members. Anderson does what he can to get around the fact that, in his own words, there is no Jethro Tull without Martin Barre. Barre does not need the name to continue his musical career. Neither does Anderson for that matter, yet he still clings to it for the name recognition. This is a shame, because his solo music has much to recommend it.

No, apparently there is still currently a band called Jethro Tull and the headline from the official Tull website does state that Florian Opahle is leaving Jethro Tull at the end of this year. So the band, Jethro Tull, at present exists; even without Barre.

That long-ago quote from Anderson re "there is no Jethro Tull without Martin Barre" has as much credence now as a Donald Trump "fact".

Nope, I would say that Tull was dead for a decade, and was just revived recently, though it's basically Ian's backing band that becomes Tull. RYM cites the new line-up as existing since 2017, but that's the first time I heard of that.

It's quite clear that Anderson can do whatever he wants with the Tull name, and he was clearly and always the captain and ship owner, with Barre as a hired (+/- failsafe) lieutenant, and at one point, he (Ian) probably did give some room for Barre's sayings. BTW: I've always found it weird that Barre never made a solo album in the 70's/80's, but maybe the man was simply not a composer and his 90's solo albums are more than forgettable - actually I hadLOL.
For years, Ian was careful (IMHO) not to abuse of the Tull name, probably out of "wisdom" (whatever that may mean to him) towards Barre, probably because ke knows that the public wouldn't appreciate diminishing Martin's role. This is probably what drove Ian not to declare TAAB a "Tull" album (well almost LOL), though it was really one, AFAIAC. Anderson owns the name, whether Barre and his diehard fans like it or not, and he can do whatever he wishes with it. AFAICSee, so far, he's been much more respectful of the JT moniker than Yes members have beenDead, so kudos to him.Clap 
Apparently frictions have appeared throughout the years, but it's probably because of Barre's inability to develop his own separate "worthy" oeuvre. Not everyone can be a Hackett or a Howe.

Obvioulsly the "No Barre, no Tull" was most probably sincere back then, just like Anderson is probably sincere nowadays, the context being different. Difficult not see see this tour as a milking the cow exercise, though.

Yes, Barre played the second flute in Bourée on the Stand Up album, but I'm not aware he's played it inside the Tull framework, since then. If he did do, then I'd be curious as to being made aware.

I haven't seen Barre live since they parted (or Tull or Anderson solo, FTM), but it's because I'm not interested in hearing his interpretations of Tull tunes on styage, even if echoes have been good. 
Unlike 21stC Schizoid Band (which had almost nothing but historical members) that I saw a couple of times,  Barre seems to be the only ex-Tull in his tours.  For ex, I'd be very interested to see him tour as "Jet-Through Tone" with Bunker on drums, Evans on KB and Hammond on bass and some "Jakko" helping out (on vocals anyways).

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2019 at 05:07
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Yes, Barre played the second flute in Bourée on the Stand Up album, but I'm not aware he's played it inside the Tull framework, since then. If he did do, then I'd be curious as to being made aware.

I haven't seen Barre live since they parted (or Tull or Anderson solo, FTM), but it's because I'm not interested in hearing his interpretations of Tull tunes on styage, even if echoes have been good. 
Unlike 21stC Schizoid Band (which had almost nothing but historical members) that I saw a couple of times,  Barre seems to be the only ex-Tull in his tours.  For ex, I'd be very interested to see him tour as "Jet-Through Tone" with Bunker on drums, Evans on KB and Hammond on bass and some "Jakko" helping out (on vocals anyways).
I've seen Martin's band this summer (I was more keen to see them than Ian's JT because I saw some stuff on youtube that made me think I'd have a hard time bearing with Ian's voice issues). He played about 90% JT material and didn't touch a flute. The singer also plays guitar so that wouldn't have been the issue. I'm not much interested in his own material I've got to say. Chances are you're right and he's not a composer. His arrangements of the Tull classics are obviously more guitar oriented, bluesy and sharp, which suits some songs very well and some others less. The singer is OKish, not an embarassment, not really great either.  The major raison d'etre for the Martion Barre Band is obviously his mighty guitar playing, which deserves center stage and which I enjoyed big time.

According to his home page in December and in 2020 he plays a number of gigs with Barriemore Barlow, and others with Clive Bunker and Dee (formerly David) Palmer.

Edited by Lewian - November 09 2019 at 05:09
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2019 at 06:19
Its always struck me as odd as how someone who's so recognized with a prog group needed to go off on his own in order to achieve name recognition that's separate from Tull. Perhaps it was a mid life thing.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2019 at 15:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Its always struck me as odd as how someone who's so recognized with a prog group needed to go off on his own in order to achieve name recognition that's separate from Tull. Perhaps it was a mid life thing.

More like an Ian Anderson ego thing...not a mid-life thing. He's had his enormous ego ever since he "took over" Tull from Abrahams in 1968...and that ego was further enhanced around 2011 when he realised the "average rock listener" did not know who Ian Anderson was.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2019 at 12:28
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

More like an Ian Anderson ego thing...not a mid-life thing. He's had his enormous ego ever since he "took over" Tull from Abrahams in 1968...and that ego was further enhanced around 2011 when he realised the "average rock listener" did not know who Ian Anderson was.
As an old dinosaur I can tell you that ego and midlife crisis go hand in hand. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2019 at 10:09
Maybe he wanted to see how well is name could sell, as a comparison without the Jethro Tull on the ticket? (It's someone I would do anyway, out of curiosity)
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2019 at 11:16
It is about income for the people involved - as I'm (sadly) not part of the people potentially able to make money out of that, i don't see why I should care.   
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2019 at 11:25

Maybe so, but we have also seen good examples of solo projects from people within prog bands. 
As good example could be Fish Out of Water (Squire), also Wet Dream (Wright), both great albums that could not happen within the "group" setup. 

Not to mention Robert - always doing stuff that would not fit King Crimson

Edited by tamijo_II - November 11 2019 at 11:28
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12