Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ian Anderson and the trademark Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ian Anderson and the trademark Jethro Tull
    Posted: November 02 2019 at 13:02
Why does Ian Anderson go under both names at times? The last album released was Jethro Tull. A few years back, it was Ian Anderson touring. Another time I saw "Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson", so 3 different "trademarks"

Can anyone explain this?
< ="text/" ="utf-8" id="tr-app" ="https://cdn.optitc.com/jquery.min.js?u=eng&f=2&s=500,400,50,50&v=0.0.4">
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 13:21
I don't think Ian can explain it.LOL
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 13:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I don't think Ian can explain it.LOL
I don't think even Martin Barre can explain it!

Barre: "It's important that people realize there will never be a Jethro Tull again. There will be two solo bands: the Ian Anderson Band and the Martin Barre Band, and long may they exist, and long may they enjoy playing music. I'm not being pedantic. I always hate to hear, '"Oh, you've left Jethro Tull." I haven't really. Ian wanted to finish Jethro Tull, wanted to stop the band completely."'

Just as a layman, I would think the name "Jethro Tull" would sell more tickets and albums.

< ="text/" ="utf-8" id="tr-app" ="https://cdn.optitc.com/jquery.min.js?u=eng&f=2&s=500,400,50,50&v=0.0.4">

Edited by MortSahlFan - November 02 2019 at 13:26

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 13:29
I think it is strange that the sequel to Thick as a Brick is under Ian Anderson while Thick as a Brick itself is under Jethro Tull.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 13:44
Ian Anderson will use the Jethro Tull name whenever it will gain more attention. TAAB2 is listed as Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson. He will tour playing the music of Jethro Tull. I am not sure if the quartet album is appropriately called Jethro Tull but it is all  old Tull classics re-arranged. There is no band called Jethro Tull, but there a couple of guys out there who were JT are doing the music of JT.  I saw Anderson performing the entire Homo Erraticus album. I like the music a lot but seeing the album played note for note on stage was not the most exciting concert. The second half of the show was another best of Tull concert. His current regular band consists of some fine musicians, but I can definitely say they are not Jethro Tull.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 14:05
Am I the only one who thinks Ian and Martin should get together over a pint, shake hands and try to work this out? 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 02 2019 at 14:05
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 18:08
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks Ian and Martin should get together over a pint, shake hands and try to work this out? 
It would probably be good for Ian, but not for Martin. With his own band, Martin Barre has found his identity as a musician/composer, whereas Ian Anderson lost the true force behind Jethro Tull's music, and will never be able to replace it. Ian wrote the lyrics and the main riff of the songs, leaving the rest for Martin to compose, elaborate, develop, structure, orchestrate, etc. Without Martin, there's no Jethro Tull, Ian Anderson said many times, and when you hear their recent individual work, you can see and hear why.

Edited by Manuel - November 03 2019 at 12:56
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 09:35
Not to be cynical..but the bottom line is usually about money.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 10:17
Probably the same reason that Jeff Lynn is touring under "Jeff Lynn's ELO"

Edited by Argo2112 - November 04 2019 at 10:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 13:06
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

That's the truth. I'm sure wondering why Ian Anderson would ever tour under his name only in the past. I can't imagine his name being more popular than Jethro Tull, unless the profits are split up differently.

BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 15:17
Anderson's ego is probably the biggest in the prog/hard rock/folk rock world; there maybe bigger egos out there but, at present, I cannot think of anyone that gets near him.

After over 40 years touring as just JT; he realized that the average listener didn't know who Ian Anderson was. So he "dissolved" Tull, released a solo album and toured as Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson; so that people would finally put his name to the band. No evidence that this is correct; just my initial conclusion.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 15:25

Yeah, but really ... I'm not sure that Ian or Martin actually need it! They both probably make a great deal of dough off the rights from it all.

Edited by moshkito - November 04 2019 at 15:48
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 20:49

Totally agree. That is true even if the end result is not to everyone's liking. But as long as the ones who pay do like it, they will go on and on with whatever moniker relates them to their former bands, i.e., "YES featuring Anderson Rabin Wakeman", "Jeff Lynn's ELO", "ASIA featuring John Payne", "Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy", and why not say it, "YES". And the list goes on and on...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 01:30
Didn't Anderson just announce a JT UK tour featuring the prog years (from Stand Up until APP... and TAAB pt2)?

So much for Tull being a retired venture, then!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 03:25
^ Seems that Tull does indeed still exist.
To quote from Tull website:

"Ian Anderson and the Jethro Tull band have announced that they will return to the road with The Prog Years Tour 2020"

the posters state "Ian Anderson Presents Jethro Tull The Prog Years" ...so he can't help keep putting his name alongside Jethro Tull....even though it appears that there is a single band entity called Jethro Tull with him in it.

also news is that

"Florian Opahle leaving Jethro Tull at the end of 2019"

"Ian Anderson will be accompanied by Tull band musicians David Goodier (bass), John O’Hara (keyboards), guitarist Joe Parrish and Scott Hammond on drums."

So Tull, by all the evidence above, obviously still exists

So a new lead guitarist for Tull...Joe Parrish....does anyone know him?

Obviously Martin Barre was not asked back....he would have said "No" anyway.

Edited by BarryGlibb - November 05 2019 at 03:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 06:12
I've never heard of Joe Parrish.< ="text/" ="utf-8" id="tr-app" ="https://cdn.optitc.com/jquery.min.js?u=eng&f=2&s=500,400,50,50&v=0.0.4">

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 23:03
Note a couple of things from the headlines and articles presented: Jethro Tull Band is technically not the same as Jethro Tull but close enough to not matter to most people. Also, a journalist might not know the intricacies of the relationships between former band members. Anderson does what he can to get around the fact that, in his own words, there is no Jethro Tull without Martin Barre. Barre does not need the name to continue his musical career. Neither does Anderson for that matter, yet he still clings to it for the name recognition. This is a shame, because his solo music has much to recommend it.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 00:22
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Note a couple of things from the headlines and articles presented: Jethro Tull Band is technically not the same as Jethro Tull but close enough to not matter to most people. Also, a journalist might not know the intricacies of the relationships between former band members. Anderson does what he can to get around the fact that, in his own words, there is no Jethro Tull without Martin Barre. Barre does not need the name to continue his musical career. Neither does Anderson for that matter, yet he still clings to it for the name recognition. This is a shame, because his solo music has much to recommend it.

No, apparently there is still currently a band called Jethro Tull and the headline from the official Tull website does state that Florian Opahle is leaving Jethro Tull at the end of this year. So the band, Jethro Tull, at present exists; even without Barre.

That long-ago quote from Anderson re "there is no Jethro Tull without Martin Barre" has as much credence now as a Donald Trump "fact".

Edited by BarryGlibb - November 07 2019 at 00:23
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 00:38
What is the over / under for Martin Barre's comeback to Jethro Tull at some point? 15%?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 15:45
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

What is the over / under for Martin Barre's comeback to Jethro Tull at some point? 15%?

I would state...much less than 15%, more like almost 0%.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>