Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pfm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pfm
    Posted: November 04 2019 at 10:41
Any recommendations from pfm fans 3 albums, from excellent to good thanks grant
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 10:42
The first three.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 14:17
The first three are all 10/10.
It went downhill fast.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 15:15
Per un amico is all you need tbh

Plz don’t crucify me

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 04 2019 at 15:15
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 15:22
Hi,

I love their early stuff, in Italian, not the translated stuff and the confusion that the American releases made of the albums themselves.

However, I have heard, recently on SPACE PIRATE RADIO a bunch of the new/latest (don't know where it fits yet), and while different, to my ears it was like this was going back to the very early feel that you had in the first 2 albums, but I have to listen to it again. 

I had a similar reaction to the new BANCO album (both the live and regular album) and after another go, it starts to grow on you ... and even though you are always remembering Giacomo's voice, the new material was still very nice and the singing parts did not let me down (so to speak) ... and that usually makes for a good album ... Had the same feeling about PFM ... which, really, was the same thing that happened to us when these first came out ... you had to play it again, and all of a sudden both bands clearly hit your inner space very well!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 16:30
Actually chocolate Kings is very good, but is underrated because it’s in English, def some of their best material

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 04 2019 at 16:30
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 03:40
Another nod to Chocolate Kings...start there and work backwards (but stick with their original Italian language albums!)
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 04:18
Cook (Live in the USA)
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 00:20
Chocolate Kings could have been perfect but for Paper Charms. 

There are a couple of great 2 CD compilations of the band that cover pretty much everything (one is Italian for the language 'snobs').

The Manticore releases are beautifully produced at the same studios that ELP recorded at. Pete Sinfield was heavily involved in the process including the English translation of the lyrics.  Don't let the natural animosity towards ELP influence you. These are great versions and worth having imo. 
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 00:43
1. Per un amico
2. Storia di un minuto
3. La isola di niente
4. Chocolate Kings

5. Stati di immaginazione
6. Buona Novella
7. PFM in Classic
8. Jet Lag

As far as studio albums this is my list. The gap is there on purpose. And though I own I don't really listen to the others.

Aside from the first two which are closely related, the others are each so very distinct in style from the others.

And there are several live albums, primarily Cook and Piazza del Campo, with the archival releases (especially BBC) and Il Suono di un Tempo also being excellent.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 02:20
As others have stated, the first three.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply