Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands that sound like Horslips.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iacób Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands that sound like Horslips.
    Posted: November 04 2019 at 17:05
Do any of you guys know of any bands that sound like Horslips? (I'm already a fan of Mushroom.)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 17:17
Cowslips. But they and all copies of their rare albums were destroyed in a bizarre milk factory accident. Clown

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Iacób View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iacób Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 17:25
Sad to hear that, maybe they'll reform as Goatslips.(haha)

Edited by Iacób - November 04 2019 at 17:36
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 17:33

I haven't heard of the Cowslips, but I have heard of the Cowsills, a Sunshine Pop band from the late 1960's. Smile

If you like Horslips, then you may like the Celtic Prog-Folk band, Iona
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 17:38
Originally posted by Iacób Iacób wrote:

Do any of you guys know of any bands that sound like Horslips? (I'm already a fan of Mushroom.)

darn!  I was just going to say Mushroom!

I guess it partly depends which Horslips you are talking about.  There were times when they didn't sound very folky or very Irish

I suspect you also know MOVING HEARTS?

RUNRIG are Scottish but at times sound similar

MEN THEY COULDN'T HANG and OYSTERBAND.  I'd stick with late 1980s/early 1990s for the former and 1993-1999 for the latter.
'
STEELEYE SPAN at times

BRAN from Wales...they were a precursor to PERERIN but they sound a bit more like HORSLIPS than PERERIN

current group GALLEY BEGGAR

German group GALAHAD,, though they are more overtly Celtic sounding

The MORRIGAN

MOSTLY AUTUMN

RED JASPER especially their two best albums - Midsumnmer Night's Dream and Winter's Tale

american group TEMPEST

TREES

MAGO DE OZ

Iacób View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iacób Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 17:41
I like Iona, but there not quite what I was looking for.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 17:46
lluT orhteJ

Maybe? I tried not to be too obvious about it. ;)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 04 2019 at 17:47
Iacób View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iacób Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 17:56
You mean Jethro Tull? Wait of course not. Their too obscure, nobody's heard of them, right?    
I like a few of their songs, I'll have to check out some more of their music sometime.

Edited by Iacób - November 04 2019 at 17:59
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 18:07
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I haven't heard of the Cowslips, but I have heard of the Cowsills, a Sunshine Pop band from the late 1960's. Smile

If you like Horslips, then you may like the Celtic Prog-Folk band, Iona

In case it wasn't totally obvious, i was just kidding! LOL

This is a great thread because i only have one greatest hits of Horslips so i'm not overly familiar with them.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 01:24
When I read Cowslips, I thought that band sounds familiar, then I realised I was thinking of the Cowsills. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 01:28
I think Runrig might be what you're looking for if you want something similar to Horslips, but my personal preference would be Mostly Autumn. In fact, it is mostly autumn here in England with the cold wet weather and the leaves falling off the trees. Smile 
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 03:38
The early albums by L' HERBA D'HAMELÍ remind me a lot of the debut Horslips album...They come from a completely different culture (the Catalan folk music tradition of Barcelona), but their aesthetic is very similar.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 04:10

I think Runrig might be what you're looking for if you want something similar to Horslips, but my personal preference would be Mostly Autumn. In fact, it is mostly autumn here in England with the cold wet weather and the leaves falling off the trees. Smile 

I'm a huge fan of both Runrig (I was at their last ever gig in 2018 at Stirling, singing Hearts of Olden Glory for 20 minutes after the band left the stage with thousands of fans in tears) and Mostly Autumn (I have every album and have seen them over 20 times).

But I don't think either are quite like Horslips as they don't quite have the same energy, though Runrig are closer.

I'd go for Wolfestone, an amazing band from Inverness: Unleashed is one of the best albums ever recorded and several others (The Chase, Year of the Dog, The Half Tail) are also excellent.

Spud was an Irish band who made a pretty good album called Smoking on the Bog.

But truthfully, Horslips were a one off and broke the mould of Irish traditional music and brought it into the 20th century. The Tain is one of my favourite albums and The Book of Invasions is also brilliant.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 04:15
For anyone who hasn't yet discovered the wonderful sound of Mostly Autumn, I'd recommend the 3-CD compilation, "Pass the Clock"

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 08:26
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I'm a huge fan of both Runrig (I was at their last ever gig in 2018 at Stirling, singing Hearts of Olden Glory for 20 minutes after the band left the stage with thousands of fans in tears) and Mostly Autumn (I have every album and have seen them over 20 times).

But I don't think either are quite like Horslips as they don't quite have the same energy, though Runrig are closer.

I'd go for Wolfestone, an amazing band from Inverness: Unleashed is one of the best albums ever recorded and several others (The Chase, Year of the Dog, The Half Tail) are also excellent.

Spud was an Irish band who made a pretty good album called Smoking on the Bog.

But truthfully, Horslips were a one off and broke the mould of Irish traditional music and brought it into the 20th century. The Tain is one of my favourite albums and The Book of Invasions is also brilliant.

good to see you back here championing great music and insights.  I agree and I forgot about Wolfstone in my list
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 08:26
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

The early albums by L' HERBA D'HAMELÍ remind me a lot of the debut Horslips album...They come from a completely different culture (the Catalan folk music tradition of Barcelona), but their aesthetic is very similar.

I need to check them out asap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 08:28
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I need to check them out asap...and now that you expand the ethnic palette, I wonder if Basque group Magdelena's sole album from the late 1970s might scratch a similar itch.  They are not to be confused with a Japanese group of the same name
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 08:48
I prefer what Horslips are doing these days..

Horse Outside

Edited by Blacksword - November 05 2019 at 08:49
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 09:40

When I read Cowslips, I thought that band sounds familiar, then I realised I was thinking of the Cowsills. Smile
There is a flower called cowslips.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 10:23
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I need to check them out asap

Bandcamp!
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>