Poll Question: Which song is better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [74.42%]
11 [25.58%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Great Gig in the Sky vs Hole in the Sky
    Posted: November 05 2019 at 06:36
They have nothing in common but the name and era... one coming from highly acclaimed The Dark Side of the Moon (1973), the other - Sabotage (1975). Which one you find more convincing, which one do you spin more often?
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 06:41
I'm a huge Sabbath fan and generally spend more time with them than with Floyd, but in this particular matchup, I have to go with the latter.  
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 06:45
two very different songs, don't know what to do here...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 07:34
I like Sabotage, my first Sabbath album, but how can it compete wth my first Pink Floyd album? The great Rick in the sky, I have read somewhere. 
From Sabotage I prefer Symptom of the Universe, a great metal song.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 08:55
Apples and oranges. Love both, but I'll give Sabbath the vote.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 08:59
Both once every decade is enough for me.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 09:25
Love them both, but today I will take Sabbath over Floyd.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 09:28
I'm voting for The Great Gig in the Sky. It's a classic song on a classic album.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 09:34
Neither is better than the other, for they both serve different musical purposes. Both are great songs. I voted Floyd this time because while I heard great metal before Sabotage, I had never heard anything like the Great Gig before that first time. Ying Yang
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 09:35
Since the question is "which do you spin more often?", easily Hole in the Sky. I just listened to Sabotage the other day. Haven't listened to Dark Side of the Moon on purpose in 25+ years (it was played by someone at literally every single party I went to in the 90's). I often wonder what my attitude about that album would be if it hadn't been played into the ground.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 09:56
Both are very good but GGitS is one of my favorites from Dark Side so that is what I voted for.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 13:37
Pinky 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 14:31
Floyd
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 15:26
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Since the question is "which do you spin more often?", easily Hole in the Sky. I just listened to Sabotage the other day. Haven't listened to Dark Side of the Moon on purpose in 25+ years (it was played by someone at literally every single party I went to in the 90's). I often wonder what my attitude about that album would be if it hadn't been played into the ground.

And it was played at literally every party I went to in the 70s and 80s as well.  I also suffered from massive burnout and swore to never listen to it ever again.  

Then one day, on a lark, I revisited it with well rested ears... and was quite forcefully reminded of what a truly magnificent album it is.   I'm really glad I gave it another chance. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 17:04
Love the Sabotage album. But Great Gig is just so ethereally brilliant and mood modifying, with a human voice that says much without saying anything. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mudpuppy64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudpuppy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 18:34
Sabbath
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 19:57
The Great Gig in the Sky is one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 20:32
I'm tempted to vote for The Great Gig in the Sky, and I don't even know the other one (but of course I won't do that).
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 00:59
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm tempted to vote for The Great Gig in the Sky, and I don't even know the other one (but of course I won't do that).

I suggest you try it out (if you can stomach 70s hard rock). Although not necessarily in the premier league of Sabbath songs ("Wheels of Confusion", "Megalomania", "Into the Void" etc.), I find it a terrific opening track. Definitely a prime Black Sabbath offering.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 06:35
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Neither is better than the other, for they both serve different musical purposes. Both are great songs. I voted Floyd this time because while I heard great metal before Sabotage, I had never heard anything like the Great Gig before that first time. Ying Yang
Exactly how I feel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>