FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Out!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Out!
    Posted: November 08 2019 at 09:18
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

^ Haha yeah, I miss typed RIO. And you're right about Magma that's why I put 'not technically' but I count them. These other two bands you mention I don't know(Thinking Plague I've seen mentioned on here but never heard them).

Well, if you count Magma then you would have to count every Zeuhlish or avant garde band. May as well throw in Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and the Muffins(who to be fair are sometimes considered RIO BUt just as much Canterbury) while you're at it. Wink Actually, I do think Magma played at some of those festivals or something early on so in some ways maybe not too much of a stretch.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 08:46
I have really a lot of prog to choose from, but an easy one is Camel - Mirage
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 04:10
Aside from most early KC albums, Floyd's Meddle is another prog-fest for me.

Edited by SteveG - November 08 2019 at 04:11
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 23:30

Originally posted by psychedelic paul psychedelic paul wrote:

I always think of "The Wall" as a Roger Waters solo album, in just the same way as "The Final Cut" album, mainly because Roger Waters sings on both albums instead of David Gilmour.

As for Phil Collins, he's a great drummer, but as for his singing, I take that at "Face Value" with "No Jacket Required". "But Seriously", I can "Testify" that I can see "Both Sides" of his appeal as a drummer and a singer. Gosh! Is that the time? "Hello, I Must Be Going." I'm "Going Back" to "Dance into the Light" now and listen to some Peter Gabriel-era Genesis. Tongue

Haha I think you got them all in there.
That was just a quickie. It was relatively easy to include Phil Collins eight album titles in a short paragraph which I've now rewritten in a different order and reposted in my "Write Your Own Album Titles Tribute" blog. The challenge now is to write a tribute using all of Genesis', YES or Pink Floyd's  albums, which won't be nearly so easy. Smile
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 20:42
^ Haha yeah, I miss typed RIO. And you're right about Magma that's why I put 'not technically' but I count them. These other two bands you mention I don't know(Thinking Plague I've seen mentioned on here but never heard them).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 20:30

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I guess if I want to prog out with my log out, ELP, Genesis, or Yes will do it in a classic sense but there are so many other choices.

What other choices?? Who are these other choices you speak of?

No seriously though, can't forget some of these really good ROI bands I've been getting into lately like Art Zoyd, Univers Zero, Henry Cow, Magma(not technically I guess.. but they count lol).

Return on Investment bands? LOL I think you mean RIO (Rock in Opposition). Magma is Zeuhl not RIO. Present and Thinking Plague are two other RIO bands.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 20:16
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I guess if I want to prog out with my log out, ELP, Genesis, or Yes will do it in a classic sense but there are so many other choices.

What other choices?? Who are these other choices you speak of?

No seriously though, can't forget some of these really good ROI bands I've been getting into lately like Art Zoyd, Univers Zero, Henry Cow, Magma(not technically I guess.. but they count lol).
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 20:11
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

When I'm in the mood to totally "prog out" about once a year, I like to listen to my entire Prog-Rock CD collection from A to Z, which usually takes about a month.

Anathema (3); Argent (1); Astra (2); Barclay James Harvest (6); Camel (9); Caravan (9); Earth & Fire (2); Electric Light Orchestra (5);  The Enid (2); Frumpy (1);  Fruupp (2); Peter Gabriel (1); Genesis (8); David Gilmour; (4); Roger Glover (1); Greenslade (1); Group 1850 (2); Steve Hackett (5); Hardin & York (1); Jade Warrior (2); Jethro Tull (6); Kansas (6); King Crimson (1);  Man (5); The Moody Blues (14); Mostly Autumn (3); Pink Floyd (8); Robert Plant (5); Porcupine Tree (5); Procol Harum (4); Rare Bird (2); Rare Earth (1); Renaissance (10); Rush (1); Solution (2); Spooky Tooth (7); Strawbs (7); Styx (1); Supertramp (2); Traffic (6); Robin Trower (5); Rick Wakeman (5); Yes (10)

Number of albums in brackets

Wait a min.. I see Peter Gabriel in there but where's Phil?? No Jacket Required is pretty much mandatory for any CD collection of this size. Anyway, right on Spooky Tooth(you know I like them), Barclay James Harvest, etc.. good stuff here.
Phil Collins isn't in the list simply because I don't have any Phil Collins solo albums as I'm not a big fan. The only Genesis album I really like with Phil Collins singing is "A Trick of the Tail".

By the way, I forgot to include Rush and Styx in my original prog albums list at the top of the page but they're in there now. Smile

I'm listening to "The Wall" by Pink Floyd right now, although I'm not having a "prog out" - I'm just listening to all of my double-CD's all at once. Smile

What.. you don't love solo Collins? You know what, that's it.. I will NEVER post on here... Sorry that joke's getting old at this point lol. Anyway, The Wall right on. Probably wouldn't be my choice but great album for sure.
I always think of "The Wall" as a Roger Waters solo album, in just the same way as "The Final Cut" album, mainly because Roger Waters sings on both albums instead of David Gilmour.

As for Phil Collins, he's a great drummer, but as for his singing, I take that at "Face Value" with "No Jacket Required". "But Seriously", I can "Testify" that I can see "Both Sides" of his appeal as a drummer and a singer. Gosh! Is that the time? "Hello, I Must Be Going." I'm "Going Back" to "Dance into the Light" now and listen to some Peter Gabriel-era Genesis. Tongue

Haha I think you got them all in there.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 20:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'm gonna state that if I can not take my whole library of music with me, then I don't want any.

I "already" have that music inside of me, that I enjoy tremendously anyway, and I can tell you that on an isolated island, on a sad, quiet day, I can hear the whole album in my head ... and love the heck out of it.

I guess it's like your favorite blanket, or pillow ... it has some properties that one can not exactly describe.

Right on man.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 17:24
Hi,

I'm gonna state that if I can not take my whole library of music with me, then I don't want any.

I "already" have that music inside of me, that I enjoy tremendously anyway, and I can tell you that on an isolated island, on a sad, quiet day, I can hear the whole album in my head ... and love the heck out of it.

I guess it's like your favorite blanket, or pillow ... it has some properties that one can not exactly describe.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 11:33
Right now I'm thinking
SFF - Symphonic Pictures
for this question.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 10:50
I think 90% of my music collection is a prog, so I prog out 90% of the time I hear music. Anyway, when I really wanna prog I end up playing Selling England too, or Seconds Out
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 06:07

Edited by Jeffro - November 08 2019 at 05:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 05:48

When I'm in the mood to totally "prog out" about once a year, I like to listen to my entire Prog-Rock CD collection from A to Z, which usually takes about a month.

Anathema (3); Argent (1); Astra (2); Barclay James Harvest (6); Camel (9); Caravan (9); Earth & Fire (2); Electric Light Orchestra (5);  The Enid (2); Frumpy (1);  Fruupp (2); Peter Gabriel (1); Genesis (8); David Gilmour; (4); Roger Glover (1); Greenslade (1); Group 1850 (2); Steve Hackett (5); Hardin & York (1); Jade Warrior (2); Jethro Tull (6); Kansas (6); King Crimson (1);  Man (5); The Moody Blues (14); Mostly Autumn (3); Pink Floyd (8); Robert Plant (5); Porcupine Tree (5); Procol Harum (4); Rare Bird (2); Rare Earth (1); Renaissance (10); Rush (1); Solution (2); Spooky Tooth (7); Strawbs (7); Styx (1); Supertramp (2); Traffic (6); Robin Trower (5); Rick Wakeman (5); Yes (10)

Wait a min.. I see Peter Gabriel in there but where's Phil?? No Jacket Required is pretty much mandatory for any CD collection of this size. Anyway, right on Spooky Tooth(you know I like them), Barclay James Harvest, etc.. good stuff here.
Phil Collins isn't in the list simply because I don't have any Phil Collins solo albums as I'm not a big fan. The only Genesis album I really like with Phil Collins singing is "A Trick of the Tail".

By the way, I forgot to include Rush and Styx in my original prog albums list at the top of the page but they're in there now. Smile

I'm listening to "The Wall" by Pink Floyd right now, although I'm not having a "prog out" - I'm just listening to all of my double-CD's all at once. Smile

What.. you don't love solo Collins? You know what, that's it.. I will NEVER post on here... Sorry that joke's getting old at this point lol. Anyway, The Wall right on. Probably wouldn't be my choice but great album for sure.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 07 2019 at 05:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 05:42
^^ That's an interesting list of albums. I'm only familiar with Khan's "Space Shanty" album, which I Love, so I'll have to check out the other albums too, starting with "Pre-Flight" by Room, which I'd never heard of before.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 04:54
Yeah I like that idea of coining the proggin' out Feelin'! Here are some of my favorites!

Kahn - Space Shanty
Room - Pre-Flight
Gong - Flying Teapot
Peter Hammill - Fool's Mate
Arthur - Dreams and Images
Captain Beyond - st
SBB - Pamiec
Camel - A Live Record (second disc)
Shirley en Dolly Collins - Anthems of Eden

modern:
Arena - Contagion
Galahad - Empires Never Last
IQ - Resistance and The Seventh House
Scott Walker - Tilt
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 20:25
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

The ultimate prog out, would be my own Emerson,Lake & Palmer best off.

I hope you didn't include Jeremy Bender, Benny the Bouncer, the sheriff or Are you ready Eddie on it. LOL

I don't like elp

But the Sherriff is a good song!

Out of the ones I mentioned I probably like Are you ready Eddie the best because it doesn't have that old west saloon feel to it like the others do(or what I affectionately refer to as "silly cowboy songs").

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 06 2019 at 20:27
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 20:20

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 20:17
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Classic era only is the gist, eh?

GG - The Power and the Glory
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Io Sono Nato Libero
Yessongs
Gnidrolog - In Spite of Harry's Toenail
Supersister

Not necessarily. If you prefer to 'prog out' to newer stuff then post that. I just don't know that much newer stuff except Spock's Beard and some Marillion. I'm basically all about ELP, classic Genesis and classic Yes. Oh and Gentle freaking Giant if I want to prog the %$*% out.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 20:11
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

The ultimate prog out, would be my own Emerson,Lake & Palmer best off.

Now we're talkin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>