Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Out!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Out!
    Posted: November 05 2019 at 16:31
Hopefully people on here can identify with this(moreso than elsewhere on the net). If you get in one of those moods where you just want to 'prog out.' Just listen to prog in it's purest forum. What do you reach for? For me the first side of the Tarkus album, pretty much all of Selling England by the Pound, maybe some GG like The Power and The Glory or In a Glass House, something from The Yes Album maybe or the title track to Close to the Edge.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 16:59
When I'm in the mood to totally "prog out" about once a year, I like to listen to my entire Prog-Rock CD collection from A to Z, which usually takes about a month.

Anathema (3); Argent (1); Astra (2); Barclay James Harvest (6); Camel (9); Caravan (9); Earth & Fire (2); Electric Light Orchestra (5);  The Enid (2); Frumpy (1);  Fruupp (2); Peter Gabriel (1); Genesis (8); David Gilmour; (4); Roger Glover (1); Greenslade (1); Group 1850 (2); Steve Hackett (5); Hardin & York (1); Jade Warrior (2); Jethro Tull (6); Kansas (6); King Crimson (1);  Man (5); The Moody Blues (14); Mostly Autumn (3); Pink Floyd (8); Robert Plant (5); Porcupine Tree (5); Procol Harum (4); Rare Bird (2); Rare Earth (1); Renaissance (10); Rush (1); Solution (2); Spooky Tooth (7); Strawbs (7); Styx (1); Supertramp (2); Traffic (6); Robin Trower (5); Rick Wakeman (5); Yes (10)

Number of albums in brackets

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 06 2019 at 00:56
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 17:02
Topographic Oceans, A Passion Play, Maxophone, and if I'm feeling particularly spicy, Dün.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 17:42
Selling England is the perfect prog album--its magical from beginning to end---and sounds nothing like "normal" music ---of course Tales and CTTE are other examples.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 18:14
Tarkus or Close to the Edge, usually.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 18:24
Nine Feet Underground
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 18:39
Thank You Scientist - Terraformer
King Crimson - Red
Tull - Thick as a Brick
Echolyn - The End is Beautiful
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
Yes - Close to the Edge
Gentle Giant - Freehand
National Health - Complete
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

Just a few...

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - November 05 2019 at 18:48
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 20:26
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

When I'm in the mood to totally "prog out" about once a year, I like to listen to my entire Prog-Rock CD collection from A to Z, which usually takes about a month.

Anathema (3); Argent (1); Astra (2); Barclay James Harvest (6); Camel (9); Caravan (9); Earth & Fire (2); Electric Light Orchestra (5);  The Enid (2); Frumpy (1);  Fruupp (2); Peter Gabriel (1); Genesis (8); David Gilmour; (4); Roger Glover (1); Greenslade (1); Group 1850 (2); Steve Hackett (5); Hardin & York (1); Jade Warrior (2); Jethro Tull (6); Kansas (6); King Crimson (1);  Man (5); The Moody Blues (14); Mostly Autumn (3); Pink Floyd (8); Robert Plant (5); Porcupine Tree (5); Procol Harum (4); Rare Bird (2); Rare Earth (1); Renaissance (10); Solution (2); Spooky Tooth (7); Strawbs (7); Supertramp (2); Traffic (6); Robin Trower (5); Rick Wakeman (5); Yes (10)

Wait a min.. I see Peter Gabriel in there but where's Phil?? No Jacket Required is pretty much mandatory for any CD collection of this size. Anyway, right on Spooky Tooth(you know I like them), Barclay James Harvest, etc.. good stuff here.

Edited by YESESIS - November 05 2019 at 20:28
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 20:27
A lot of great responses here so far I see.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 21:24
Parliament-Funkadelic
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 21:25
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Thank You Scientist - Terraformer
King Crimson - Red
Tull - Thick as a Brick
Echolyn - The End is Beautiful
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
Yes - Close to the Edge
Gentle Giant - Freehand
National Health - Complete
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

Just a few...

For Echolyn my choice for full on prog would be mei. The End is Beautiful  sounded like a normal rock album to me(closer to alternative than prog)and probably the least prog sounding album they have done(although it was still good). l would agree with most of the others though.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 05 2019 at 21:26
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 23:31
Classic era only is the gist, eh?

GG - The Power and the Glory
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Io Sono Nato Libero
Yessongs
Gnidrolog - In Spite of Harry's Toenail
Supersister
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 23:55
Hi,

Shame ... to just go for a few things ... I have 1500 LP's and 2000 CD's and I wouldn't have them in my collection if any of them were not the special music that they are ... I can't even choose, and sometimes I just close my eyes, run the fingers through and what it stops on ... gets to be heard ... 

The surprise factor is worth it ... a new appreciation, which we all can get from any album ... but for me, most often, it is like listening to the album the very first time ... I don't look "back" at some favorite because my little Johnson is now old enough and feels like it has to get a rise from listening to that song to reminisce myself of the nice time I had with that girl .... some 30 or 40 years ago ... I'm insane, but not crazy, and my wife is better than any of them and these albums.

Tongue

Embarrassed

PS: She agrees with me ... some music is nice ... but as much as I love the experience of the music and its details left and right and post here ... I can count these albums you would like to see listed on just a couple of fingers ... but they mostly relate to that time and place, and not today, even though listening to it is just as good as it was yesterday ... except I have more warmth with me now!

Edited by moshkito - November 05 2019 at 23:57
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 00:04
Old
Brain Salad Surgery

Newish
Weather Systems

or DVD's by either of those bands (ELP and Anathema) preferably with orchestra and cannons (in ELP's case!)

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 00:16
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I don't look "back" at some favorite because my little Johnson is now old enough and feels like it has to get a rise from listening to that song to reminisce myself of the nice time I had with that girl .... some 30 or 40 years ago

Thanks for some imagery that will be indelibly emblazoned on our psyches forever Mosh...Ouch
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 01:04
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Anathema (3); Argent (1); Astra (2); Barclay James Harvest (6); Camel (9); Caravan (9); Earth & Fire (2); Electric Light Orchestra (5);  The Enid (2); Frumpy (1);  Fruupp (2); Peter Gabriel (1); Genesis (8); David Gilmour; (4); Roger Glover (1); Greenslade (1); Group 1850 (2); Steve Hackett (5); Hardin & York (1); Jade Warrior (2); Jethro Tull (6); Kansas (6); King Crimson (1);  Man (5); The Moody Blues (14); Mostly Autumn (3); Pink Floyd (8); Robert Plant (5); Porcupine Tree (5); Procol Harum (4); Rare Bird (2); Rare Earth (1); Renaissance (10); Rush (1); Solution (2); Spooky Tooth (7); Strawbs (7); Styx (1); Supertramp (2); Traffic (6); Robin Trower (5); Rick Wakeman (5); Yes (10)

Wait a min.. I see Peter Gabriel in there but where's Phil?? No Jacket Required is pretty much mandatory for any CD collection of this size. Anyway, right on Spooky Tooth(you know I like them), Barclay James Harvest, etc.. good stuff here.
Phil Collins isn't in the list simply because I don't have any Phil Collins solo albums as I'm not a big fan. The only Genesis album I really like with Phil Collins singing is "A Trick of the Tail".

By the way, I forgot to include Rush and Styx in my original prog albums list at the top of the page but they're in there now. Smile

I'm listening to "The Wall" by Pink Floyd right now, although I'm not having a "prog out" - I'm just listening to all of my double-CD's all at once. Smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 02:19
Yes - CTTE
Yes - Fragile
Yes - TFTO

GG - In a Glass House
GG - Free Hand
GG - TPATG

Genesis - Foxtrot
Genesis - SEBTP

Cassiopea - Mint Jams

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 05:24
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Selling England is the perfect prog album--its magical from beginning to end---and sounds nothing like "normal" music ---of course Tales and CTTE are other examples.

Spot on!!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 05:27
tbh depends on my mood Big smile - could be Camel, could be PF, could be VDGG, could be Genesis, could be Marillion, could be Yes, could be some progressive metal LOL, and so on...

Edited by Cristi - November 06 2019 at 05:59
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 05:56
If I were an android like Data, I would listen to 1500 CDs all at the same time because I don't have as much time with all the scanning for lifeforms activities.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>