Poll Question: Choose your favorite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [60.42%]
19 [39.58%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 20:17
The Harmonium album is a masterpiece. Not sure you can say the same of Aqualung. Of course over the journey Jethro Tull are the superior band.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 20:45
Only when I just looked it up did I find out Harmonium were Canadian and not French!

I don't listen to either all that much although the Canadian band created a masterpiece as mentioned before. To be fair Aqualung was never intended to be viewed in any way other than a collection of songs. There are some really good ones for sure but I'm not that bothered about it and would rather concentrate on the later ones ie TAAB onwards. Another vote for the Canucks!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 22:34
With the name of the poll I thought it was going to be between the bands, and then I might have gone with Tull (or not), but given the albums, I have to go with Harmonium.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 00:27
So we have two incredible albums and a very tough question.

Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison is so special. Acoustic guitar parts are so well developed, we have touches of mellotron and flute, lush melodies and at least one masterpiece ("Histoires Sans Paroles"). A rare example of soothing BUT cerebral music.

And then there is Aqualung. Eleven songs of which... 9? are fantastic and leave nothing to be desired. Almost every time a new tune arrives I'm instantly curious what's going to happen, even though I know that stuff like my pocket. Please show me other prog rock albums that are song oriented (~4 min average) and land a hit every goddamn time. Even "Slipstream" and "Cheap Day Return" get me going!

Pound for pound, I think Aqualung packs more punch, the flow of catchy and engaging ideas is more constant, while Saison has its downtimes / cooldowns. So I pick Aqualung, but both albums are 5 star worthy.

progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 06:34
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

So we have two incredible albums and a very tough question.

Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison is so special. Acoustic guitar parts are so well developed, we have touches of mellotron and flute, lush melodies and at least one masterpiece ("Histoires Sans Paroles"). A rare example of soothing BUT cerebral music.

And then there is Aqualung. Eleven songs of which... 9? are fantastic and leave nothing to be desired. Almost every time a new tune arrives I'm instantly curious what's going to happen, even though I know that stuff like my pocket. Please show me other prog rock albums that are song oriented (~4 min average) and land a hit every goddamn time. Even "Slipstream" and "Cheap Day Return" get me going!

Pound for pound, I think Aqualung packs more punch, the flow of catchy and engaging ideas is more constant, while Saison has its downtimes / cooldowns. So I pick Aqualung, but both albums are 5 star worthy.

This really sums it up for me. Agree with everything said.
PROGMATIC
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 09:08
Harmonium is rather boring to my ears. Tull by a large margin for me.
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 09:45
This Harmonium album is new to me and will need more listens to compete with a long-time favorite like Aqualung.  
Purely because of familiarity, I vote Aqualung.  Given time this may change.  
Saisons is some high quality stuff though.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 11:21
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Harmonium is rather boring to my ears. Tull by a large margin for me.

Same here.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 11:28
Harmonium was good but not that good. Tull. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 12:17
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Another vote for the Canucks!

Frogs would be more « à-propos », Canadians indeed but French-Canadians, and more French than most Canadians since they're from the sole French-speaking Province of Canada.

Sooo...French-speaking-Canadians-Frogs-from-Canada-but-more-French-than-Canadians-and-less-French-than-French.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 12:20
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Frogs would be more « à-propos », Canadians indeed but French-Canadians, and more French than most Canadians since they're from the sole French-speaking Province of Canada.

Sooo...French-speaking-Canadians-Frogs-from-Canada-but-more-French-than-Canadians-and-less-French-than-French.

Geek
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 12:55
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

The Harmonium album is a masterpiece. Not sure you can say the same of Aqualung. Of course over the journey Jethro Tull are the superior band.

This.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 13:47
Anyone who doesn't think Aqualung is a genuine masterpiece isn't listening. 

One of the things that makes it so utterly masterful is that it has catchy, hummable hits like Loco Breath and the title cut, but even with those hits, the album still has its greatest impact when taken in as a whole.  

If you truly immerse yourself in the experience, by the time you're wrapping up with Wind Up, you're stunned, challenged, and drained.  It's one powerful album.  It is musically compelling, and unlike so many other prog albums, even great ones, it is also lyrically brilliant.

And it's timeless.  I remember having not listened to it in a few years other than loco breath coming up on a playlist once in a while, and on a road trip a few years ago, my then 17 year old son saw it in the CD case and was curious so he popped it in and we both listened to it in complete other silence, neither of us speaking until it was over. Not only was I completely floored, not having really listened to it in some time, and more blown away than any other time I'd heard it, he was also astonished and effusive with praise for the power and brilliance of both the concept and the execution.  

The album rules.  
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 13:54
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Anyone who doesn't think Aqualung is a genuine masterpiece isn't listening. 

One of the things that makes it so utterly masterful is that it has catchy, hummable hits like Loco Breath and the title cut, but even with those hits, the album still has its greatest impact when taken in as a whole.  

If you truly immerse yourself in the experience, by the time you're wrapping up with Wind Up, you're stunned, challenged, and drained.  It's one powerful album.  It is musically compelling, and unlike so many other prog albums, even great ones, it is also lyrically brilliant.

And it's timeless.  I remember having not listened to it in a few years other than loco breath coming up on a playlist once in a while, and on a road trip a few years ago, my then 17 year old son saw it in the CD case and was curious so he popped it in and we both listened to it in complete other silence, neither of us speaking until it was over. Not only was I completely floored, not having really listened to it in some time, and more blown away than any other time I'd heard it, he was also astonished and effusive with praise for the power and brilliance of both the concept and the execution.  

The album rules.  

This is how i feel about that harmonium, aqualung is just decent to my ears
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 14:13
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Geek

Excuse my accent, Ken...and think big, sti.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 19:45
The thing for me with Aqualung is that I like every song better in an alternate live version (or in the case of Wond'ring aloud again, just an alternate version).
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 08:40
I would have voted for Harmonium versus anything released by Jethro Tull except for Aqualung. With the two albums in my hands I can choose one of the two indifferently, so no vote.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 08:48
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The thing for me with Aqualung is that I like every song better in an alternate live version (or in the case of Wond'ring aloud again, just an alternate version).

Maybe time for you to stop discovering bands with live albums and go with the studio ones instead since it often seem to be a win-lose approach for you.

Getting aquainted with studio material first has always been the way to go for me. The live stuff is the icing on the cake.

Edited by Barbu - November 08 2019 at 08:59
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 15:57
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I’m very Tull skeptical..........

your seemingly I-don't-care-for-Jethro-Tull posts show it.....I'm very Genesis and Yes skeptical, but I never bang on about it. Maybe I should!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 16:15
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I’m very Tull skeptical..........

your seemingly I-don't-care-for-Jethro-Tull posts show it.....I'm very Genesis and Yes skeptical, but I never bang on about it. Maybe I should!

And that’s okay! My favorite Tull is actually songs from the wood which I rather like. The two in PAs top 100 don’t do it for me though. I’m somewhat yes skeptic, particularly fragile and going for the one arent favorites. But I do love me some genesis.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>