Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Update on A Passion Play

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update on A Passion Play
    Posted: November 06 2019 at 17:24
Hello everyone!

I'm again making a topic on A Passion Play, but this time, it's for an update.
I love it, I have listened to it something like 10 times the last few days, and I got to say that it is a masterpiece, and, if someone, like me, isn't into the song at the first listens, then keep on listening, it comes with the time, and when it comes, you're glad to say that you love this structure of songs which is unique and very Tullesque but also sad to see that JT made only 2 albums in this structure. But those albums are probably the best ones in the prog history, they define what is prog and (my opinion), partly, what it should have been an extension of Classical Music, somehow. I have only ELP left to cry now...

(sorry again for creating another topic, but I thought that it would be interesting to share my point of view on it)
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 22:51
Clap It is not the easiest album to get into, but once you do, it is worth the effort. Sometimes music is immediately accessible and that's okay, but then there is the chance that you can burn out on it. Other music, like A Passion Play, which is not immediately accessible, at least to most people, has much more staying power. I just listened to it last week myself, remarking how strange some of it is, but also how it is classic Tull in every way. I also just listened to Nightcap, which features the legendary Chateau D'Saster (sic) tapes, from which much APP came, as well as some of War Child. Highly recommended for those who want to hear some of how APP came about. And it also sheds light on How the Hare Lost His Spectacles. 
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 12:07
Have you got the remix? That’s the best sounding one and it has an extra minute which holds side 2 together beautifully. The chateau remixes are awesome too
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 12:13
I liked it from the first time I heard it, mainly for the fact that is was not a TAAB two, but went in a different direction, though a whole piece just like the former. Over the years, I've learn to appreciate it more, and remains one of my all time favorites.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 12:35
I don’t really even like taab, but I respect it. Passion play has never done it for me unfortunately.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 12:43
Congrats on your persistence. It really is one of those albums that requires many listens and a suspension of one's expectations. And i agree, this is the stuff that prog dreams are made of. Overambitious and filled with more ideas than most bands conjure up in an entire career

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 13:49
I have always found APP a difficult listen. There are bits that exude prog greatness and other parts just leave me going huh?... like the overly long narrative of "The Hare Who Lost His Spectacle". Too weird for me. Ruins the flow of the entire album. Overall I would rate APP three stars. I have listened to this for 45 years so I don't think more listens will help. Not as killer as TAAB, Minstrel, Aqualung, or Songs.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - November 07 2019 at 14:07
 Post Reply Post Reply