Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More like captain beyond please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nicholas gone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More like captain beyond please
    Posted: November 12 2019 at 06:25
The debut album for them is so good, are there any bands that make music like this.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 08:51
Some albums that come to mind!

May Blitz debut, early Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple in Rock, Patto's first two albums, the two Tempest albums, Orang-Utan, 2066 and Then, The Human Beast, early Budgie, Edgar Broughton Band (1971), Cargo (1972), Jericho, Lucifer's Friend debut, T2

Edited by friso - November 12 2019 at 08:51
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:03
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

May Blitz debut, early Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple in Rock, Patto's first two albums, the two Tempest albums, Orang-Utan, 2066 and Then, The Human Beast, early Budgie, Edgar Broughton Band (1971), Cargo (1972), Jericho, Lucifer's Friend debut, T2

I like all of those albums you mentioned. Thumbs Up
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:38

What about Uriah Heep?
HarryAngel746 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryAngel746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:50
What about this misty Legend? Heavy and Proggy.

Legend - From the Fjords 1978

Edited by HarryAngel746 - November 12 2019 at 09:51
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 11:16
Friso has some good suggestions, and I am listening to Legend right now. Spot on! I looked up Heavy Prog from the site here and found a few more I am familiar with: Atomic Rooster, Badger (only their first album), Birth Control, Jane, and John Paul Jones (of Led Zep fame). All come with my recommendation. There were a few others on the list I know, but did not feel they quite fit in the Captain Beyond mode. As you can see, there are plenty of options for you to explore. I have the first two CB albums and enjoy both, although the second one is more focused on melodic hard rock. Dio era Rainbow is also recommended. Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus by Spirit might fit the bill, too.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 11:31
Great album.....they never were able to make another like that and the second while decent, just doesn't have the same punch.
All the other bands mentioned are solid....I would also mention Armageddon.....I believe one of the players on that (Bobby Caldwell) is in Captain Beyond. I would also mention Metamorphosis by Iron Butterfly, again some of the same players (Caldwell and Reinhart..) on that one and there is some similar melodic hard rock.
Also early Purple with Rod Evans and even early Hawkwind might fit.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 12:01
A couple more came to mind: Argus by Wishbone Ash and Ocean by Eloy, which is admittedly more spacey but has a similar vibe.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 13:56
Yeah! Spirit's Twelve Dreams
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 13:57
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I like all of those albums you mentioned. Thumbs Up

You should live across the street
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 16:16
interesting suggestions..  

let me suggest the closest example to it..  Captain Beyond's first was indeed the best hard and heavy prog ever made..

and this one was a close 2nd..

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 16:23
"Sea Shanties", the debut album of High Tide, could be to your liking.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 16:38
In my view, it isn't easy to find bands that sound like Captain Beyond. Of the bands mentioned so far, I believe Armageddon to be the closest match, with Osage Tribe not far beyond (sorry for the unintended pun :D). I had also been thinking of High Tide (Sea Shanties, which Friede just mentioned, is a great favourite of mine). I would also suggest The Groundhogs (especially Thank Christ for the Bomb, which is a concept album), the first three albums by Atomic Rooster (more keyboard- than guitar-oriented), Babe Ruth's First Base (with an excellent female vocalist), and in general most Heavy Prog bands of the Seventies.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 16:43
the problem with the Amaggedon album IMO darling.. isn't as much the style.. it is the quality.. the side 2 'epic' is pretty rocking.. but the first side..  ehhh.. not bad but not half as good as the good Captain or those frenetic Italians...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 16:47
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the problem with the Amaggedon album IMO darling.. isn't as much the style.. it is the quality.. the side 2 'epic' is pretty rocking.. but the first side..  ehhh.. not bad but not half as good as the good Captain or those frenetic Italians...

Armageddon has the same drummer as Captain Beyond though (Bobby Caldwell).

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 16:54
yeah I love me some Bobby Caldwell going out into his work with Johnny Winters and the ABB..  he really is a bit of underrated and underappeciated drummer.. every bit as good.. if not better than some his more ..idolized contemporaries.

I just didn't think the music itself lived up to the promise.. it idd half way I suppose but there is the first side which really knocks it down compared to the other two..  it wasn't the same shot to the balls pure adrenaline to the bloodstream that the first Captain Beyond and Osage Tribe were.. for pure kick ass hard prog.  Like your suggestion.. love it.. but they are metalish if you will than pure balls out heavy prog rockers.  Hell I'd consider HIgh Tide to the first and greatest stoner doom proto progmetal band hahaha.  That wasn't what Captain Beyond was.. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 11:44
Heh...I was the one who brought up Armageddon...and Caldwell...where's the love..? ;)
 I would also mention T2,,,I think someone did,  Dark -Round the Edges....an obscure but interesting lp....
and Andromeda....earlier and rougher but many of the same things going on imho, ....Clear Blue Sky...also rougher  but good....and Three Man Army- Third of a Lifetime.

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 11:55
Honorable mention to 'Steamhammer...MK ll....in the same ballpark perhaps...but I mention this one because I really like it..one of my favorites from the old days...Martin Pugh on guitar who of course played on Armageddon.

Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 13:47
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Heh...where's the love..? ;)

Heh.. you have mine.. have long had it.   You mean that isn't that enough??  LOL

I must be slipping in my advancing age....
 Post Reply Post Reply