Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Intrusive ads, let's turn the volume down a bit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intrusive ads, let's turn the volume down a bit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intrusive ads, let's turn the volume down a bit
    Posted: November 12 2019 at 08:05
I understand ad revenue is necessary to run the site. I try to do my part and leave adblocker down. But in the last month the forum has become almost unreadable without using adblocker do to banner ads showing up literally in the middle of forum posts. Even the front page is littered with them.

Dial it down.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 08:19
Weird, I don't have AdBlocker on my work PC and I don't get any intrusive ads, just the ones at the top of the page.

Edited by chopper - November 12 2019 at 08:19
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 08:28
It depends on your browser and its stability. I have recently succumbed to AdBlocker because the ads were a detriment to site usage. Sorry but this is ridiculous. THere should be an option of paying a small annual fee for an ad free experience like on RYM. Much better model which actually rewards donations.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:02
I often click on the dating ad by mistake on the main menu.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:09
^"Mistake". Sure Paul.

No, I get it. I load a page and go to click something and hit some nefarious ad site because the screen jumps loading an ad somewhere else on the page.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:19
They are way more intrusive on my phone compared to laptops. They site is practically unreadable on my phone.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:24
^That's how I do the majority of my check-ins. Any "work" requires at minimum a full laptop screen anyway.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:29
It was getting so bad that just accidently clicking on the blank white background would conjure up annoying ads. Totally out of control and i have not one ounce of guilt using AdBlocker to avoid this nonsense.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 09:54
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

^"Mistake". Sure Paul.

No, I get it. I load a page and go to click something and hit some nefarious ad site because the screen jumps loading an ad somewhere else on the page.

That's it exactly. The screen jumps up just as I'm about to click on something and I end up clicking on the dating ad instead. That's my excuse anyway. Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 10:23
^ that used to happen a lot but hasn't for a while. The screen wants to go to a certain place on the page not always the top. Freaky s.h.i.t

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 10:27
It seems worse this week. I'm seeing ads in almost every other post now. This site will lose credibility if the ads outnumber the content.

Edited by progaardvark - December 18 2019 at 10:27
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 11:12
^Seriously. If someone isn't familiar with the site their first glance would look like one of those "buy this site" ownerless domains.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 13:45
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

^Seriously. If someone isn't familiar with the site their first glance would look like one of those "buy this site" ownerless domains.

Yeah. One ad in a post on one page was bad enough, but now every page seems to have like five. Not only is it ugly and cumbersome, but reading posts now is much more difficult. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 13:59
Yea, I noticed we are getting slammed with this stuff lately. May be it's worse because of the holidays?
I noticed my junk mail has increased a lot. 
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 15:33
It's not like it's in our control so I don't think we can do anything about it at the moment, but I do recommend using ad blocker plugins for the browser of your choice in the mean time.

Actually I would ask everyone if they could post screenshots in the future, because even with adblocker turned off I'm not seeing a single add, so I don't know if it's a browser setting on my end or some country based thing.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 21:32
Originally posted by historian9 historian9 wrote:

It's not like it's in our control so I don't think we can do anything about it at the moment, but I do recommend using ad blocker plugins for the browser of your choice in the mean time.

Actually I would ask everyone if they could post screenshots in the future, because even with adblocker turned off I'm not seeing a single add, so I don't know if it's a browser setting on my end or some country based thing.

I captured these from this exact forum. I went out to upload it and when I came back it was even worse. This is on my phone. Android using Chrome. Here's the screen caps.

===========================================

Edited by Tapfret - December 18 2019 at 21:35
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2019 at 05:29
That's what I'm getting, every other post a banner ad.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2019 at 06:59
The best part is there is an empty space between the links in the header and the thread title that actually contains an adserver link. If there isn't a law against that there certainly should be.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2019 at 09:19
Originally posted by historian9 historian9 wrote:

...because even with adblocker turned off I'm not seeing a single add, so I don't know if it's a browser setting on my end or some country based thing.

Exactly, same thing here - no ads whatsoever ???

(I don't even have / use adblocker, btw)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2019 at 13:27
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

That's what I'm getting, every other post a banner ad.

ditto
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>