Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Intrusive ads, let's turn the volume down a bit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intrusive ads, let's turn the volume down a bit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2019 at 13:39
Ads  (banner or otherwise) are really a nuisance on the phone, but I don't see any on my computer because I use uBlock (which unfortunately has no mobile version).
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 07:10
I usually run Ghostery on Firefox on my PC, and one day I had to disable it for another site. I forgot that I had disabled it, and when I went to PA, I was astonished at the bombardment of advertisements! I never use my phone for engaging in forums because it's just too small and hard to mouse around, so I never realized the extreme volume of ads here. Ghostery back on!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 04:32
AdBlocker just blocked 10 ads on this page alone, it does seem a bit excessive.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 11:57
I haven't seen any ads on this site. I do have Ublock running in Chrome, but it's switched off on this site. So I wonder why I'm not seeing anything (a Win10 laptiop btw)?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 18:15
Is there any reason why over the past month or so it has gotten so bad? The screen shot that Ian posted is exactly what I see daily now
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 13:05
Ads are now appearing stuck in the middle of reviews on the front page. (Perhaps this has been happening for awhile now, I generally don't scope out the reviews on the front page.)
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 23:13
The “Chicken Bathed in Chlorine” ad is the worst.

It almost sounds like a King Crimson album title.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 03:46
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

The “Chicken Bathed in Chlorine” ad is the worst.

It almost sounds like a King Crimson album title.

Not seen that ad but I have to agree.LOL
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 15:58
I noticed a new level advance of intrusiveness a few times. I found the ads on the forum pages slightly disturbing, but not more than that. However, this is the worst thing that happened to PA since the captcha's :

In my humble opinion, popup ads that must be clicked away should be forbidden at the cost of severe penalties all over the internet, but who am I?

Edited by someone_else - July 22 2020 at 15:59
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 16:55
^ yes, this has been happening for me for awhile now too. 
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 11:06
Tongue  The new, nude women ads might be a bit too offensive for some.  Though I am all for freedom of expression and everything, it was a bit shocking to see that blonde sunning her buns at the top of the PA site in full view for everyone to applaud (I'm assuming that's the noise I was hearing?). 

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 11:30
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Tongue  The new, nude women ads might be a bit too offensive for some.  Though I am all for freedom of expression and everything, it was a bit shocking to see that blonde sunning her buns at the top of the PA site in full view for everyone to applaud (I'm assuming that's the noise I was hearing?). 

Ads are personalized according to your browsing history. I guess we know what you do in your spare time, Kitty Cat! Wink

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 11:31
Mine is the first Virtual Intimacy game.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 13:35
Oh sure...these ads I don't get!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 13:48
Finally succumbed to adblocker specifically because of this site
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2020 at 10:18
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Ads are personalized according to your browsing history. I guess we know what you do in your spare time, Kitty Cat! Wink

Hmmm, someone else must be using my computer to visit dating sites then.  I'm at that age when dates are a digestive aid and I haven't seen a naked prune yet!  But I have seen ads for girl's sneakers!??!?!  Browsing history be damned!

Edited by TCat - August 21 2020 at 11:01

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12