Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your 70s Prog All-Star Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your 70s Prog All-Star Band
    Posted: November 13 2019 at 05:03
Pick your players from 1968-1980 era. You decide pretty much everything about this All-Star Band makeup:
  • either a long term, LP recording band (5+ years) or just a World Tour project;
  • what genre of prog/related music do they play (symphonic, eclectic, fusion, Canterbury, space, kraut...)
  • you can have up to 7 musicians on board! Fill the slots:
Vocals; Guitars; Bass; Drums; Keys; + different instrument; + flexible slot

It's pretty straightforward. You can very well recreate bands that really existed and just tune them to your liking (i.e. ELP + Andrew Latimer), or come up with completely new collaborations (i.e. Thijs van Leer, Robert Wyatt, Geddy Lee and Captain Beefheart...).Flexible slot has no restrictions.

It's fine if you pick multi-instrumentalists here, just assign them to a slot - it'll be their main duty anyway (75%).
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 05:15
For a one recording and toruing project..

Vocals - Greg Lake
Vocals - Kate Bush
Guitar - Dave Gilmour
Bass - Geddy Lee
Keys - Tony Banks
Sax - Dave Jackson
Violin - Daryl Way
Drums - Gavin Harrison
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 05:16
MY LONG TERM BAND

Ian Anderson
Steve Hackett
John Wetton
Michael Giles
Tony Banks
Ian McDonald
David Palmer

I specifically avoided the most notoriously dominant/demanding figures of progressive universe, such as Roger Waters, Frank Zappa, Robert Fripp or Ginger Baker (:D). I'd like my band to actually work towards a greater goal and avoid the clash of personalities - as much as I could. There is a place for, let's say, two intense personalities to exchange ideas and create some tension... but a band consisting of 5-7 devilishly talented and conceited blokes wouldn't last a year.

So, my leader is Ian Anderson - for his wit, charisma, strong leadership, no-nonsense approach and actual talent. His group WILL release at least eight albums during that timespan and I bet half of them are guaranteed classics. His acoustic guitar tapestries in the background and lively flute fills are welcome, too. David Palmer is included - most needed to smooth out (or write) orchestral arrangements and serve as additional pianist on stage... he also had a good chemistry with Ian. They form songwriting backbone.

Steve Hackett and Tony Banks serve multiple purposes here. They are truly gifted composers, hopefully they will form a second songwriting nucleus in this mixture, relieving Ian from this burden a bit. I know for certain that stuff they create will be unbelievably melodic, emotional, lush and progressive in that old-fashioned Genesis way... I suppose their "fairy tales" Edwardian stuff will mix nicely with jubilant, folkish Anderson style. Steve Hackett is a peaceful man on top of it, should be "safe" addition. Tony Banks will have some creative differences with Ian, but he put up with Gabriel's quirks for years so they'll work it out.

I trust John Wetton and Michael Giles to form a reliable and impressive rhythm section. Wetton brings very strong, tectonic basslines, knack for improvisation and backing vocals, if needed - all with a laid-back personality, they say. I mean that was the common opinion, no? We need those glue guys in every team, I believe. Michael Giles had such a rare talent on drums, always knew what should be played at what time EXACTLY. I always find his performances engaging and thought-out. Remember his studio work on In the Wake of Poseidon? He wasn't even a member at this point, but laid down so much effort. Love the guy, wish he recorded more.

The last pick - my joker card - is Ian McDonald of King Crimson fame. Tell me all you want, I believe he came up with a half of ITCOTK's good stuff. Played clarinets, saxophones, organs, the Mellotron... In this band he's free to do whatever he does best, we already have keyboards and flute covered. Hopefully he's able to put more kinetic energy and a bit of KC darkness here. Should be a good fit next to Michael Giles.

I think this band is, in the same time, greatly talented and well-organized, everyone has a niche to fill and all talents could be used. Everyone is credited when it comes to royalties ^^
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 05:21
Hate to bust your bubble but I think it's been done.

They were called "Emerson Lake and Palmer"   Wink
Later reformed as "The Best"

But seriously...

Keith Emerson - Keys (Duncan Mackay as the understudy)
Chris Squire - Bass (Tony Levin as the understudy)
Carl Palmer - Drums (Keith Moon as the understudy)
Alex Lifeson - Lead Guitar (Steve Hackett as the understudy)
Kerry Livgren - Rhythm Guitar (David Gilmour as the understudy)
Peter Gabriel - Vocals (Roger Daltrey as the understudy)
Thjis Van Leer - Flute (Ian Anderson as the understudy)
Bill Bruford - Percussion (Ruth Underwood as the understudy)
Jean Luc Ponty - Violin (Robby Steinhardt as the understudy)

Let me know if you hear of them touring...I'm all in !

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 05:26
That would be the already assembled Bruford band
in 1979. Bruford, Holdsworth, Stewart and Berlin.

For fun maybe... Jon Anderson (v), Ray Schulman (b), Tony Banks (k), Frank Zappa (g), and Steve Gadd (d).
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 05:29
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Vocals - Greg Lake
Vocals - Kate Bush
Guitar - Dave Gilmour
Bass - Geddy Lee
Keys - Tony Banks
Sax - Dave Jackson
Violin - Daryl Way
Drums - Gavin Harrison

Love this team. Geddy and Gilmour are so likeable, Lake brings emotional side, Bush - another dimension. Darryl Way is a terrific under the radar pick. Minor complaint - Gavin Harrison was 17 in 1980 which is the "end date" of this project... But I bet he already had good chops.

JD, you came up with a fantastic list of talent as well, but there are 9 musicians - the limit is 7. :)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 05:36
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Vocals - Greg Lake
Vocals - Kate Bush
Guitar - Dave Gilmour
Bass - Geddy Lee
Keys - Tony Banks
Sax - Dave Jackson
Violin - Daryl Way
Drums - Gavin Harrison

Love this team. Geddy and Gilmour are so likeable, Lake brings emotional side, Bush - another dimension. Darryl Way is a terrific under the radar pick. Minor complaint - Gavin Harrison was 17 in 1980 which is the "end date" of this project... But I bet he already had good chops.

JD, you came up with a fantastic list of talent as well, but there are 9 musicians - the limit is 7. :)

Damn, yes you're right! I bet Harisson was good at 17 though, but in line with the rules, I'll swap him with Phil Collins, and begrudgingly drop Way (I can live without violin) that still leaves 8 I guess...
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 05:40
MY ONE YEAR PROGRESSIVE TWISTED FANTASY

Peter Hammill
Robert Fripp
Greg Lake
Bill Bruford
Rick Wakeman
David Jackson
David Cross

This one is wild. Fripp is the boss, but Hammill can write all the lyrics he wants - doesn't matter for Bob. I believe Robert will impose his will on this group (with one exception), so the sound will gravitate towards jazzy/classical/avantgarde this time. Cross and Bruford are almost automatic picks, I know for a fact they work well with Fripp and definitely fit the bill here.

Jackson makes the sound 2x richer and he's also capable enough to improvise with the boys.

There is also Greg Lake enlisted, I need him to alternate with Hammill on those epic-scope grand-as-Iliad songs, no matter if they are more of Epitaph or Man-Erg breed. Perhaps there is a room for intricate acoustic guitar pieces with 3 axe-wielders on board...

The only problem I see is Rick Wakeman who always had his way of doing things. I believe he was fed up with constant tuning and quirky studio ideas, but it's likely that this band would focus on impressive stage performance and live recording so he might put his talent to great use.

It's definitely harder to make this band click and stay together for a decade than the previous one... But one album is likely, some twisted cross between Larks' and Godbluff with pinches of Tarkus and Awaken on top.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 06:02
Francesco Di Giacomo, Annie Haslam, Stella Vander - Vocals
Chick Corea - Keyboards
Steve Hackett - Guitar
Ray Schulman - Bass, Violin
Ruth Underwood - Vibes, Persussion
Carl Palmer - Drums, Percussion
Roger Dean - Cover Art

Edited by Tapfret - November 13 2019 at 06:07
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 06:03

Annie Haslam - lead & backing vocals

Michael Dunford – acoustic guitar, backing vocals
Jon Camp – bass, backing vocals
John Tout – keyboards, backing vocals
Terence Sullivan – drums, backing vocals, percussion
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 06:05
Robert Fripp
Jeff Lynne
Dave Greenslade
Phil Collins
Alphonso Johnson
Robby Steinhardt

I doubt this lineup would last a week together.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 06:17
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Keith Emerson - Keys (Duncan Mackay as the understudy)
Chris Squire - Bass (Tony Levin as the understudy)
Carl Palmer - Drums (Keith Moon as the understudy)
Alex Lifeson - Lead Guitar (Steve Hackett as the understudy)
Kerry Livgren - Rhythm Guitar (David Gilmour as the understudy)
Peter Gabriel - Vocals (Roger Daltrey as the understudy)
Thjis Van Leer - Flute (Ian Anderson as the understudy)
Bill Bruford - Percussion (Ruth Underwood as the understudy)
Jean Luc Ponty - Violin (Robby Steinhardt as the understudy)

chance of survival beyond first practice/rehearsal, five minutes.... and never meeting if Greg Lake is involved LOL

==============

Ian Anderson (vcls, flute, sax and general obnoxiousness)
Grace Slick (beauty and political awarenessHeart, vcls as well)
Roger Waters (for lyrics, acoustic guitar and pretentiousness)
Robert Fripp (L guit, mellotron, & twitt behavior)
Peter Townshend (R guitar & stage antics, since Fripp is about as alive as Entwistle is)
Jack Casady (jamming ability, endurance, & grass supply)
McCoy Tyner Chester Collins (a duet for the price of a monologue) Big smile
Keith Moon  Robert Wyatt Keith MoonLOL (for wheelchair reasons) Embarrassed

Edited by Sean Trane - November 13 2019 at 06:18
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 07:02
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Francesco Di Giacomo, Annie Haslam, Stella Vander - Vocals
Chick Corea - Keyboards
Steve Hackett - Guitar
Ray Schulman - Bass, Violin
Ruth Underwood - Vibes, Persussion
Carl Palmer - Drums, Percussion
Roger Dean - Cover Art

I can almost hear this music... beautiful!

Sean Trane's band has a startling contrast between the pretty and the ugly... Seeing them live would be a jarring experience Tongue
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 07:25
I would want a band that could present something totally new and different, Symphonic-World-Canterbury-Jazz-Fusion. These guys just might be up for it:

Guitars: Jan Akkerman

Keys: Patrick Moraz

Violin, keys, etc: Eddie Jobson

Vocals, keys, etc.: Demetrio Stratos

Bass: Percy Jones

Flute, keys, vocals, etc.: Thijs Van Lier

Percussion, vocals, etc.: Zakir Hussein

Edited by BrufordFreak - November 13 2019 at 07:30
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 07:30
Vocals: Francesco Di Giacomo
Guitar: Robert Fripp
Bass: Chris Squire
Keys: Keith Emerson
Drums: Phil Collins
Violin: Jean-Luc Ponty
Flute: Ian Anderson
Sax: Theo Travis

I like this format a lot - especially the vocals from Di Giacomo, Anderson, Squire and Collins!!!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 08:05
On guitars - Martin Barre and Steve Hackett
On keyboards - Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson
On Bass - Gary Thain and Jeff Berlin
On Drums - Bill Bruford and Carl Palmer
On Vocals - Jon Anderson, Peter Gabriel and Annie Haslam
On Flute - Ian Anderson and Andy Latimer
On Sax - Mel Collins and David Jackson
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 08:07
OK, I built this one with the idea of some weird collaborations in mind, not not necessarily my favorite players. 

Vocals - Jon Anderson
 Guitar - Frank Zappa
 Guitar Robert Fripp
 Bass - Chris Squire
 Keys - Keith Emerson
 Keys/ Violin - Eddie Jobson
 Drums - Neil Peart

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 08:09
Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, John Wetton and Eddie Jobson. Hey wait a minute...I think they were together before. Kind of.

Edited by SteveG - November 13 2019 at 08:13
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 08:25
Wink

Edited by tamijo_II - November 13 2019 at 08:26
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 09:05
Gabriel....Theatrics and lead vocals.
Wakeman.....Moogs, Mellotron, Hammond Organ, Electric and Acoustic Piano, Harpsichord and Pipe organ.
Hackett....six and twelve string acoustic guitar, Lead guitar, backing vocals
Squire...Bass guitar and bass pedals, backing vocals.
Peart...Drums
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>