Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

50th Anniv ITCOTCK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmay102436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50th Anniv ITCOTCK
    Posted: November 13 2019 at 10:50
Has anyone compared the new 50th anniversary / 2019, ITCOTCK (King Crimson of course) to the 40th? Is the surround mix improved?

Thanks!
Freedom Of Personal Expression Can Not Die
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 03:33
From a couple of reviews the new edition is a +

Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 04:17
I'm waiting for the 100th Anniversary Edition of ItCotKC. I left instructions to have it left on top of my grave.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 04:26
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm waiting for the 100th Anniversary Edition of ItCotKC. I left instructions to have it left on top of my grave.

I'M sure KC's music will be enjoy forever by our children....

Emile M. Cioran

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 08:42
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Haha!

Another re-issue of ItC??

Increasingly ridiculous, no...totally absurd.

Will they ever be satiated?
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 11:02
only those who enjoy surround music can understand all the fuss about those new versions. I am more offended with those eternal studio versions

Emile M. Cioran

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 12:32
I don't give a flying f*** about mix.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 12:36
^I said something like that once about a new remix of TUll and I got chastised...
;)

but...I agree....these endless remixes and xtra this and that reissues is about money imho and nothing else.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 16:25
Hi,

HMMM ... did you folks noticed that we will be having a 200th year anniversary of Beethoven's 10th Symphony?

Big smile

Tongue

.... make sure to splurge for the CD when it comes out!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 16:56
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

HMMM ... did you folks noticed that we will be having a 200th year anniversary of Beethoven's 10th Symphony?

Big smile

Tongue

.... make sure to splurge for the CD when it comes out!

Beethoven's 10th symphony Confused? How about his second violin concerto?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 19:49
Ohh please, another KC reissue pales in comparison to the endless reissues of your beloved sh*thole Fab Four......I'll take any KC reissue over a Beatles money grab.

Reissues simply mean more new fans discover music, if Ford reissued the Pinto it would sell.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 20:11
Happy birthday, prog world! This album really did start the ball rolling even if technically other prog albums existed. Half century, wow! I'm with those who couldn't care less about remixes. I want the authentic version of what was experienced at its release date. Remasters are about as far as i go. Once in a rare while someone comes up with an interesting new version but that's better left for compilations as bonus tracks not redoing a classic album.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 06:37
Makes me wanna scratch my cotck Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 06:39
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

LOL
there was a user that always refered to this album as ITCHYCOCK. Big smileLOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 07:55
sounds like this one needs to go on next.. can't listen to this album without thinking of Mark who honestly might have been the smartest tac to ever grace this site.  Man I do miss him and the cast and crew we used to have here in the early days of the site. 

He is one of the few people to take a long held musical opinion I had and change it by shear force of reason and intellect. Cheers Mark Beer
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 17:15
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^I said something like that once about a new remix of TUll and I got chastised...
;)

but...I agree....these endless remixes and xtra this and that reissues is about money imho and nothing else.

Yes and No.

If you listen to several versions of THE RITE OF SPRING, you end up with several "interpretations" and this is something that is "acceptable" in classical music to a point.

There are some special references to Karajan, Bernstein and many other conductors, who still RULE the amount of classical music on the market because the understanding and appreciation of classical music and its interpretations is something that has dies quite a bit, because of the rise of pop/rock/jazz music in the past 50/60 years ... thus, we can look forward to new "mixes" in the future ... and yeah, sometimes it seems like it is a money ploy, but in the end, this is the excitement that keeps a piece of music alive.

You and I are snobs ... sometimes and do not want to see many of these things redone, because we were "there" for the original ... but sheep dip ... so has the 9th for 200 years or something like that ... and there are some strong differences in interpretation there, too! 

AND, remember that Stokowski started something else ... when recordings were first being done on classical music as a serious concept, that eventually gave us someone like GEORGE MARTIN ... and his take was that he wanted these 3 or 4 instruments together over here on this corner so the emphases on them was stronger than the rest of the piece of music for that moment ... and guess what ... do you think we do anything different to the guitar, or keyboards (hello Rick overdone) ... and so on ... and this is the part of the history of music that we are attempting to stop ... 

It's not gonna happen ... there is going to be way more issues of ITCOTCK in the future than you and I and Robert can ever conceive, or realize!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 13:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

LOL
there was a user that always refered to this album as ITCHYCOCK. Big smileLOL

you made me laugh...LOL
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 14:44
My 7th favorite Crimso record re-re-re-re-re-released.....where's me wallet?  Though, I will say this - the Steven Wilson remix really brings life to those quiet passages throughout the album.  Anybody remember their old Atlantic cassette copies where NOTHING came thru during those quiet moments?
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply