FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes in the 90's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes in the 90's
    Posted: April 06 2024 at 06:26
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

For me personally, the 1990's is their most under rated and underappreciated decade. Sure, there were some albums that many people don't like and feel were poor but even on those albums there are a few gems. The decade started out with Union which, while a bit of a hodgepodge in terms of production especially considering the different musicians and lineups involved including ghost musicians, still has a few gems on it that wouldn't have sounded too out of place on the Anderson, Bruford Wakeman Howe album from 1989. Next up is Talk which in general is a very underrated album by the band. The production and engineering was handled by Trevor Rabin who wrote most of the music and as such some feel it is more of a Trevor Rabin solo album then a true Yes album. Nonetheless it is a very fine album and "Endless Dream" in particular is among the best epics they have ever done. Next up are the keys to ascension albums which saw a return to the classic lineup of Howe, Anderson, White, Squire and Wakeman. Unfortunately, that lineup didn't last that long and the band ultimately recorded the much poppier and less than stellar Open Your Eyes which still had a few good tunes on it although admittedly it is not the most representative of their career. Finally(no pun intended)we have the Ladder which was a bit of a return to Yes's roots and while not quite as progressive or retro sounding over all as the studio tracks to keys to ascension was certainly more of a bone thrown to their hardcore fans than Open Your Eyes.

This, in my opinion, is actually a very good assessment of that period of Yes - my compliments!
Of this decade I easily prefer Talk over the rest. It is today my preferred Rabin-era Yes album. It is maybe a bit more "restless" than 90125 or Big Generator, but to my ears it is very cohesive and of high rock standards.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2024 at 02:06
^ Thanks! It's just a Roundabout way of sharing my love for YES. Smile 
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2024 at 01:52
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

YES, it's TIME AND A WORD of well-deserved praise now for THE YES ALBUM that often gets overlooked. YES, it is of course the TALK album. The recording of this album was relatively trouble-free and was recorded, mixed and produced by YES guitarist Trevor Rabin at his home studio in Hollywood, California. The recording of TALK had none of the tensions and surrounding DRAMA of recording the legendary TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS album twenty years earlier, where FRAGILE egos were at stake and a MAGNIFICATION of simmering tempers were often CLOSE TO THE EDGE of boiling over. In the constant RELAYER race of YES line-ups, the personnel for the TALK album were:- Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, Chris Squire, Tony Kaye & Alan White. The album was to have featured Rick Wakeman, but he was unable to appear due to "contractual obligations" and he appeared in a re-UNION with his YES bandmates on the following album, KEYS TO ASCENSION in 1996. The TALK album was generally treated like a squashed TORMATO by the music press, but it was well-received by YES fans and was a BIG GENERATOR of album sales, climbing THE LADDER of success to reach No. 20 in the U.K albums chart. The album may not have moved HEAVEN AND EARTH, but if you haven't heard the TALK album before, it may just OPEN YOUR EYES and ears to the sound of one of the best YES albums since the release of GOING FOR THE ONE in 1977 and 90125 in 1983.  The TALK album contains nine YESSONGS and I'm going to FLY FROM HERE now and give the album another listen. Smile

That is brilliant. I don't know where you get the time to compose these monologues, they are all very entertaining! Clap Smile
I_Developer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I_Developer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2024 at 12:42
My favorites from Union:
Shock to the System
Lift Me Up
Miracle of Life

My favorites from Talk:
Walls
Endless Dream
See ya,

I_Developer
Asia Superfan and Album Reviewer
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2022 at 23:49
YES, it's TIME AND A WORD of well-deserved praise now for THE YES ALBUM that often gets overlooked. YES, it is of course the TALK album. The recording of this album was relatively trouble-free and was recorded, mixed and produced by YES guitarist Trevor Rabin at his home studio in Hollywood, California. The recording of TALK had none of the tensions and surrounding DRAMA of recording the legendary TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS album twenty years earlier, where FRAGILE egos were at stake and a MAGNIFICATION of simmering tempers were often CLOSE TO THE EDGE of boiling over. In the constant RELAYER race of YES line-ups, the personnel for the TALK album were:- Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, Chris Squire, Tony Kaye & Alan White. The album was to have featured Rick Wakeman, but he was unable to appear due to "contractual obligations" and he appeared in a re-UNION with his YES bandmates on the following album, KEYS TO ASCENSION in 1996. The TALK album was generally treated like a squashed TORMATO by the music press, but it was well-received by YES fans and was a BIG GENERATOR of album sales, climbing THE LADDER of success to reach No. 20 in the U.K albums chart. The album may not have moved HEAVEN AND EARTH, but if you haven't heard the TALK album before, it may just OPEN YOUR EYES and ears to the sound of one of the best YES albums since the release of GOING FOR THE ONE in 1977 and 90125 in 1983.  The TALK album contains nine YESSONGS and I'm going to FLY FROM HERE now and give the album another listen. Smile
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2022 at 17:44
Outside the run from TYA to GFTO, The Ladder, Keystudio, and Talk are my favorites.
Marcos87 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcos87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 09:45
Talk is great, it's my fav from the 90s Yes era.
galeriaderaices.bandcamp.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 23:52

^ No love for Fragile, Tales from Topographic Oceans or Relayer?  Wink

Yes, I like all three of those classic albums, but only one make it into my Top 10. Smile

1. The Ladder 
2. Going for the One
3. Talk
4. Close to the Edge 
5. The Yes Album 
6. Fly from Here 
7. Magnification 
8. Heaven & Earth
9. Tales from Topographic Oceans
10. 90125
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 16:47
^ No love for Fragile, Tales from Topographic Oceans or Relayer?  Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 13:32

I like the two more recent YES albums though:- Magnification and Fly from Here.

Well, you owe to yourself to at least check out some of these 90's albums. Both of those are good but I think Talk, KTA and the Ladder are at least as good if not better(imo).

You're right! Having now listened to the entire Yes back catalogue, these are my current Top 7 Yes albums:-

1. The Ladder 
2. Going for the One
3. Talk
4. Close to the Edge 
5. The Yes Album 
6. Fly from Here 
7. Magnification 
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2021 at 07:59
I know that i am kinda late to the party by a couple of years Tongue but i would say that i really like the 90's Yes albums. Union is a really nice album, i think that the fact that a huge number of people collaborated on it intead of just a band of 5 or 6 people really gives a different flavor and perspective to the music. The Keys To Ascension albums I have not listened to in full, but i will say that i have listened to "That, that is" and it is prolly one of my favourite Yes songs of all time. Talk is not on Spotify so i have not listened to it yet, i am prolly gonna need to find somewhere i can buy it one vinyl or CD. As for Open Your Eyes, yes, it sounded very poppy, but i think that a lot of the tunes in it were very catchy. Of course, catchy pop songs are definently not what you are looking for when you listen to yes, but i still found it pretty good, i really liked the happy upbeat vibes in the album. I will say that the last song was complete trash though, idk what idiot would put 2 minutes of silence in the middle of a song, and then just put in nothing but bird sounds and small snippets of other songs for frickin 15 minutes! Still, other than that song, the album is pretty good. As for The Ladder, I think that it was also very good, i loved the positive vibes in the album. All in all, i think that Yes' 90's albums were very differant than Yes' 70's albums, but they were still amazing albums, prolly better than what most bands made in their prime years. I think that anyone reading this should definently give them all a listen.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 06:19
Look, they weren't in the same ball park as the 70's classics but, for all that, they did make a couple of decent albums that I would recommend to anyone who likes Yes.

The Ladder and Talk are the two that really stand out to me

Endless Dream is a fantastic track and is one of the few that might have a chance of competing with some of the 70's output.
Songs cast a light on you
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 05:34
I can take or leave 90's Yesm although I did enjoy the Talk album. Endless Dream is fantastic.

I do have a soft spot for Lift me Up from Union, although it does sound like a John Farnham cheese on toast fest.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 05:12
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The 90s were Yes's least inspired years, you have two uneven albums - Union and The ladder, a decent album with Talk and the godawful and bland Open Your Eyes.

Having read your two-star review of "Open Your Eyes" I'll take your advice and say "No" instead of "Yes" to listening to that "godawful" album. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 04:46
The 90s were Yes's least inspired years, you have two uneven albums - Union and The Ladder, a decent album with Talk and the godawful and bland Open Your Eyes.

Edited by Cristi - April 21 2022 at 14:34
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2019 at 01:31

Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Nice post! I agree that the 1990's is Yes' most underrated decade. I like all these albums.

A small note: the album that gathers together the studio tracks from the Keys to Ascension albums is called Keystudio (not "Studio Keys").

That seems a bit nitpicky and trivial to me but fine. I'll change it. 

Sorry for nitpicking Embarrassed
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 16:41
I like 90's Yes.  Talk is my personal favorite.  Listen to Talk a lot. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 14:20

^Only 80,000 albums? Lol. 

Yes, but they're not all prog albums. Smile

Oh god, I hope not. LOL
Less than 1% of the total (or less than 800) are actual prog albums, listed in the genres of Progressive Rock, Symphonic Rock & Neo-Prog. They were the same three prog genres we used when I ran my own music site. To be honest, I think ProgArchives system of multiple prog genres is much better. I wish I'd thought of it at the time when my music site was still up and running. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 16 2019 at 14:21
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 13:53

Oh god, I hope not. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 13:51

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 16 2019 at 13:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>