Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scenes From a Memory or Hand. Cannot. Erase.?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooteen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scenes From a Memory or Hand. Cannot. Erase.?
    Posted: November 18 2019 at 12:03
Which of these album is your favorite?

In my opinion, these are the two best albums of all time. No other comes close. They're both absolutely perfect in every way possible. And there's no way I can pick one over the other.

Dream Theater and Steven Wilson (/ Porcupine Tree) are my favorite artists, and it's been that way for a while. I started with classic prog a few years back (Yes, Floyd, Crimson, Kansas, etc.) but I feel that modern prog blows classic out of the water. These guys especially exemplify that.

Another thing that I love about these albums is that there are no other albums like either one (that I have come across thus far). They're so unique and have pushed the bounds of music. That being said, it kind of sucks that there are no other albums like either.

For those of you with a preference between the two, which do you prefer? And more importantly, why do you prefer it?
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 12:33
Love both, just saw DT play all of scenes live, certainly a 5 star album. With that said, Hand. Cannot. Erase is just one of those albums with a magical aura around it, it is easily one of the greatest achievements in prog and a top 6 album for me.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 12:39
Scenes From a Memory is almost perfect. Hand... is less perfect than Scenes.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 12:57
I haven't listened to these two in a really long time, will try and join the coversation after I relisten to them a bit. Big smile
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 13:03
Scenes from a Memory, obviously...

Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 13:05
Scenes from a Memory.
Wilson does nothing for me.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 13:42
Hand. Cannot. Erase. But who erased the actual poll?
PROGMATIC
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 13:54
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

nobody erased anything, newbies can't create polls.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 14:00
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

nobody erased anything, newbies can't create polls.
It seems a long time ago since I was a newbie here, even though it was only a couple of months ago. A lot's happened since then. Smile
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 14:19
HCE for me easily. The music is more deep and has variety. Images and Words is a better album than Scenes in my opinion.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 14:57
DT for sure. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 15:08
Hand Cannot Erase by far.  A superb album, better even than The Raven That Refused to Sing.

I just cannot get into DT. It's prog by numbers, technique over emotion and I don't like the singer much.

HCE 4.5*
SFAMM 2.5*
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 18:18
Scenes from a memory. Great album, probably the best from DT (for me, of cource). With different DT album I'd consider it thoroughly, but not with Scenes.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 18:48
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Hand Cannot Erase by far.  A superb album, better even than The Raven That Refused to Sing.

I just cannot get into DT. It's prog by numbers, technique over emotion and I don't like the singer much.

HCE 4.5*
SFAMM 2.5*

prog by the numbers --my feeling exactly about DT--but I do prefer the Raven because the best songs on that album move me more than Hand cannot....
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 19:00
HCE easily.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 19:49
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

HCE 4.5*
SFAMM 2.5*

I don't know about the raven, but if anybody should refuse to sing, it's Wilson. Fine composer and musician, but a dreadful voice.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 20:16
Scenes
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 22:49
The best thing DT ever did was A Change Of Seasons (IMO) while H.C.E is Wilson's 4th best album and a slight downturn after his first 3 masterpieces although I would still vote for that over most DT. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 04:45
Scenes way over Hand.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 06:39
Scenes for me.... my fave DT album
Prog On!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>