Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Symphonic Metal Heaven

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Symphonic Metal Heaven
    Posted: November 20 2019 at 16:47

Symphonic metal is a subgenre of heavy metal music that combines the heavy drums and guitars of metal with different elements of orchestral classical music, such as symphonic instruments, choirs and sometimes a full orchestra. Keyboards reminiscent of power metal are also sometimes featured.

Symphonic metal bands often feature classically trained female vocalists, giving rise to the nickname opera metal or operatic metal, and it is not uncommon for them to feature a second vocalist performing growls, a more common characteristic of gothic metal. Perhaps the most typical and prominent examples of symphonic metal bands are Dutch bands Epica and Within Temptation, Finnish band Nightwish, and Swedish band Therion. All four bands place a large focus on elements prevalent in film scores in addition to the more basic classical components utilized more widely in the genre.

- Wikipedia

Dutch band EPICA featuring Simone Simons - "We Will Take You With Us" [Full Video] with Lyrics  

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 09 2023 at 16:08
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 08:00
KC & the Sunshine Band aside, you keep finding genres and artists we have in common. 

I LOOOOOVE symphonic metal!

For me, the greatest album ever in the genre is Within Temptation's Black Symphony.  Nightwish, Epica, Delain... all marvelous acts!

In addition, I have a fair amount of Xandria, Sirenia, After Forever, Diabulus in Musica, Edenbridge, and Leaves Eyes in my collection.  I also like Kamelot, but this is one genre where I really prefer the female fronted bands.  

Here's a great one where you get two for the price of one.... Sharon Den Adel and Tarja Turunen together!

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 08:19
^^ Many thanks for posting that amazing video from the two goddesses of Symphonic Metal - Sharon Den Adel & Tarja Turunen. I love female-fronted Symphonic Metal bands and Within Temptation and Nightwish are two of my favourite bands in the genre. I also like all of those other bands you mentioned too. Thumbs Up

Sorry about KC & the Sunshine Band. Wink It was only because KC shares his initials with King Crimson that I even thought of them, otherwise I might have chosen Donna Summer to open my Disco thread instead. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 21 2019 at 08:23
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 08:34
I would recommend the following Albums:

The Gathering - Mandylion (Anneke van Giersbergen on vocals) (Dutch band)
Akin (they only have two Albums) (Adeline Gürtner on vocals) (French Band)
Alchem (way darker, from Italy)

Edited by TheH - November 21 2019 at 08:37
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 10:44
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

I don't think The Gathering are symphonic metal like Nightwish and the rest of the bands mentioned above. Mandylion was a gothic/doom album and so was the next one Nighttime Birds.

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2019 at 02:04
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I don't think The Gathering are symphonic metal like Nightwish and the rest of the bands mentioned above. Mandylion was a gothic/doom album and so was the next one Nighttime Birds.

They are less operatic than the others. But all the bands emtioned have a strong Gothic touch,
Within Temptation where even a full blown Gothic Metal band on their first Album.

I simply see The Gathering being very important for the trend of female fronted Metal bands
with Prog touches.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2019 at 03:45

They are less operatic than the others. But all the bands emtioned have a strong Gothic touch,
Within Temptation where even a full blown Gothic Metal band on their first Album.

I simply see The Gathering being very important for the trend of female fronted Metal bands
with Prog touches.

All I meant is that I wouldn't put The Gathering together with Nightwish and the rest.
I agree with your last sentence. I also find once they left the metal behind, they became even more unique, they dared eperiment and they did a fine job.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 10:47

with Prog touches.

All I meant is that I wouldn't put The Gathering together with Nightwish and the rest.
I agree with your last sentence. I also find once they left the metal behind, they became even more unique, they dared eperiment and they did a fine job.

Yes they where great, to sad they never managed to really replace Anneke.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 11:14
Other lesser known bands

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 11:23
^^ Thanks for posting. They're definitely lesser-known bands to me, as this is the first time I've heard of them. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 10:19
EDENBRIDGE - Live in Germany (2004)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 11:26
I've just restored Epica's epic "We Will Take You with Us" at the top of this page for any Symphonic Metal fans out there. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 09:11
I just discovered this superb version of Genesis' Entangled by the Brazilian Symphonic Metal band, Hydria. Thumbs Up

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 10:03
One of the first to do this kind of 'extreme' cross over (other than ELP of course) was Klaus Nomi. But the more popular one was this.
(Gotta Love the 80's)

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 10:10
Variations of a Theme.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 10:18
One last one for the family blood.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 10:53
^ That's bagpipes with attitude! Smile
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 10:55
^^You post two covers of Thunderstruck, and then the Goddesses of the Bagpipes with the Snake Charmer, but not post this?

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 12:41
The music is good but it's this that caught my eye.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 03:36
Inspired by Cristi's Progressive Metal polls, Symphonic Metal Heaven is back by unpopular demand. Tongue

Now, I just need to find the Symphonic Metal poll that goes with it. Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>