Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Robert Fripp guitar on Peter Gabriel Car

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkertonIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robert Fripp guitar on Peter Gabriel Car
    Posted: November 23 2019 at 03:17
I got into Peter Gabriel's first 3 albums through the Fripp connection and while his playing is identifiable on the Scratch and Melt albums I have never really been able to identify his signature playing on the first album Car. I only really think that the clean toned jazz solo on Excuse Me is Fripp. Unlike the 2nd and 3rd albums which have individual track credits Car only lists Fripp as playing electric guitar, classical guitar, banjo but no track credit. As there is banjo on Excuse Me I suspect he either only plays on that track or was mixed off other tunes he played on.

There used to be an excelletn Fripp sessionography on either DGM or Elephant Talk which listed the exact tracks Fripp has played on for every non KC album but for some reason I can't seem to find it.

Any thoughts?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 04:07
I have the first four Gabriel releases. To be fair I haven't listened to them for at least 10 years. The only prog track on those cds is White Shadow...The rest is commercial IMO. I can't recall any notable guitar playing tho...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 04:15
Here Comes the Flood would be the most obvious I guess
What?
PinkertonIII View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkertonIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 06:41
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I don't think Fripp plays on the PG version. You are maybe thinking of the version on Fripp's album Exposure? The solo on Car version sounds like Dick Wagner.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkertonIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 06:43
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I have the first four Gabriel releases. To be fair I haven't listened to them for at least 10 years. The only prog track on those cds is White Shadow...The rest is commercial IMO. I can't recall any notable guitar playing tho...

I think there are some fairly proggy songs on Melt like No Self Control and Intruder, but maybe more in the textures.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 07:57

...and the lap pedal steel solo on "White Shadow" is Sid McGinnis'!"

Edited by BrufordFreak - November 23 2019 at 07:57
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 08:02
OP: With Bob Ezrin (KISS) in command in the production booth, maybe he toned down Sir Robert's playing--either by will ("requesting" it of Bob) or force (playing with dials on the engineering deck). 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 09:06
Originally posted by PinkertonIII PinkertonIII wrote:

I don't think Fripp plays on the PG version. You are maybe thinking of the version on Fripp's album Exposure? The solo on Car version sounds like Dick Wagner.
You are correct, it was Dick Wagner and yes, I was thinking of the Exposure version. So.... if Wagner was on Flood and Hunter was, according to the wiki (yeah, I know) acoustic guitar on "Solsbury Hill"; lead guitar on "Slowburn" and "Waiting for the Big One"; electric guitar, rhythm guitar; pedal steel then Fripp probably/possibly played guitar on the rest.
What?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 09:26
^ I believe so. That's definitely Fripp with the power chords at the end of "Solsbury Hill." Any time there's heavy sounding guitar it's probably Fripp. Next to Tony Iommi he was probably the heaviest guitarist in that time period.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 23 2019 at 09:26
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 14:54

That would be my first option too. Down the Dolce Vita also shows Fripp's guitar, as well as his acoustic work on Humdrum, though not that noticeable.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2019 at 09:25
Car is my fav PG album--along with So----I don't really hear Fripp on Car--agree with Manuel if he's on it its not noticeable. For me Car would have been a lot better if Hackett played lead or someone less typical on the lead parts.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkertonIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2019 at 10:40
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

That would be my first option too. Down the Dolce Vita also shows Fripp's guitar, as well as his acoustic work on Humdrum, though not that noticeable.

According to Wiki quote:

Robert Fripp is often credited. However, he has written: "I had nothing to add to the track after Steve [Hunter]'s superb & fitting contribution, although I would love to be on it."
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkertonIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2019 at 10:50

Originally posted by PinkertonIII PinkertonIII wrote:

You are correct, it was Dick Wagner and yes, I was thinking of the Exposure version. So.... if Wagner was on Flood and Hunter was, according to the wiki (yeah, I know) acoustic guitar on "Solsbury Hill"; lead guitar on "Slowburn" and "Waiting for the Big One"; electric guitar, rhythm guitar; pedal steel then Fripp probably/possibly played guitar on the rest.

So we are thinking Fripp is playing on these tunes? I agree that sounds like his acoustic on Humdrum. Excuse me is definitely him. Dolce Vita he could be playing the rhythm on the left but sounds a bit funky for Fripp! Moribund could be him, quite a KC sounding tune to me. I don't think it is Fripp on Modern Love, sounds to normal lol.

Moribund the Burgermeister

Modern Love

Excuse Me

Humdrum

Down the Dolce Vita

< ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 14.0px Helvetica; color: #232323; -webkit-text-stroke: #232323} span.s1 {font-kerning: none} < ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: right; line-height: 16.0px; font: 14.0px Helvetica; color: #232323; -webkit-text-stroke: #232323} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 14.0px Helvetica; color: #232323; -webkit-text-stroke: #232323} p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 14.0px Helvetica; color: #0b1480; -webkit-text-stroke: #0b1480} span.s1 {font-kerning: none} span.s2 {font-kerning: none; color: #232323; -webkit-text-stroke: 0px #232323} span.s3 {font-kerning: none; color: #0b1480; -webkit-text-stroke: 0px #0b1480}
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 08:11

I have the first four Gabriel releases. To be fair I haven't listened to them for at least 10 years. The only prog track on those cds is White Shadow...The rest is commercial IMO.

What, seriously? 

Well, in this case then I must prefer commercial to prog, if we're talking about Gabriel vs Genesis of the same period.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 01:30
Gabriel much like Gentle Giant invented a new form of prog imo.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 01:49

As far as no prog(except the one track)not true at all. Lot's of prog on those albums especially moribund the burgemeister, family and the fishing net, rythym of the heat, san jacinto plus the third album was done with very little in the way of cymbals. You can't get much more progressive than that. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 01 2019 at 01:51
 Post Reply Post Reply